Bench Test Results: Samsung 24S 18650...fantastic, hard hitting 18650, beats VTC5A/5D/6A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the estimated ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

34D98013-8909-4DFD-8E9A-45D3CDE476E3.jpeg E2850716-990C-461F-AECF-5AACB1D8607A.jpeg B5F2B104-07E0-4B38-B839-BCA235CD3222.jpeg E942081C-6F65-49B1-A061-EFC7AC0053F8.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This is a great performing “power” cell for unregulated/mechanical devices. As of May 2018 it hits harder than any other 18650 except the Samsung 20S down to about 3.4V. Below that point the 24S’ greater capacity holds its voltage up for longer.

At 25A the Samsung 20S is the clear winner. In the 15A-20A range it is a close race between the 24S and the VTC5A/5D/6A. You’ll have to test them to see which performs better for the way you vape.

I have often seen the 24S referred to as a 30A cell but it operates several degrees-C hotter than the 30A-rated Samsung 20S. In my opinion, the temperature difference between the 20S and 24S indicates to me that the 24S has a lower rating.

Typically, when the capacity of a battery goes up the current rating goes down as both of those require more room in the cell to be increased. The 20S has the higher current rating but the 24S has the higher capacity.

I don’t have the datasheet yet to know Samsung’s ratings but I am estimating them to be 25A continuous and 2300mAh minimum and 2400mAh typical. If needed, these ratings will be adjusted once I see the datasheet.

Two cells were donated for the purposes of testing by Vapcell (www.vapcelltech.com). Thank you!

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    96EFD41F-33DD-426F-9D8B-2D90E20797CF.jpeg 9E84F623-89A8-4517-8379-D5E0F2A58D45.jpeg

Ratings Graphic
    0FF224C0-30A3-4BFD-8B83-9C320DD81434.jpeg

I want to work for the vaping community full time! If you feel what I do is worth a couple dollars a month and you would like early access to battery availability and testing news and a say in what I test then please consider becoming a patron and supporting my testing efforts: Battery Mooch is creating battery tests and educating vapers | Patreon

To see how other cells have tested check out this link: List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum

Wiamiere

Dec 4, 2017
    Thanks for yet another test on an amazing, great performing cell!
    Now that vapcell rewrap the 20s and ecoluxshopdirect.co.uk finally have the original wrap samsung 20s in stock, lets hope someone pulls their finger out and gets some of these readily available outside the USA!
    I have been telling everyone liionwholsale.com have had the 24s available as the vapcell 2400mah 30a for a while now but they are the only vendor in the world to have stocked them so far, lets hope that's soon to change!

I do have one question for you but i worry in case i sound like i'm questioning your expertise (that's the last thing I'd even dream of doing!) so hopefully i get this across correctly....
    I generally assumed that 80 degrees celsius was the max allowed when rating a cell's CDR, so I'm really confused that the vtc5a was rated at 25amps running at 83 degrees celsius, whilst this 24s runs at 78 degrees celsius whilst being discharged at 30amps, yet it is rated only 25amps. I'm genuinely intrested Mooch, I just wondered was this because samsungs have a higher sensitivity to heat, or is it just because it is much better to conservatively rate a cell and play it safe?
    Either way, it's still an amazing cell and is now on 3rd on my hit list, having already aquired all the 30T's and 20s's I could ever need for my single cell mechs, this would be great for my series and parallel squonkers :)

Thanks again as ever Mooch, keep them juicy test results coming!
    I get genuinely excited everytime i see you drop another test report and i really couldn't care less if it makes me a sad case obsessive lmao XD

Reactions: stols001

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Thanks for yet another test on an amazing, great performing cell!
    Now that vapcell rewrap the 20s and ecoluxshopdirect.co.uk finally have the original wrap samsung 20s in stock, lets hope someone pulls their finger out and gets some of these readily available outside the USA!
    I have been telling everyone liionwholsale.com have had the 24s available as the vapcell 2400mah 30a for a while now but they are the only vendor in the world to have stocked them so far, lets hope that's soon to change!

I do have one question for you but i worry in case i sound like i'm questioning your expertise (that's the last thing I'd even dream of doing!) so hopefully i get this across correctly....
    I generally assumed that 80 degrees celsius was the max allowed when rating a cell's CDR, so I'm really confused that the vtc5a was rated at 25amps running at 83 degrees celsius, whilst this 24s runs at 78 degrees celsius whilst being discharged at 30amps, yet it is rated only 25amps. I'm genuinely intrested Mooch, I just wondered was this because samsungs have a higher sensitivity to heat, or is it just because it is much better to conservatively rate a cell and play it safe?
    Either way, it's still an amazing cell and is now on 3rd on my hit list, having already aquired all the 30T's and 20s's I could ever need for my single cell mechs, this would be great for my series and parallel squonkers :)

Thanks again as ever Mooch, keep them juicy test results coming!
    I get genuinely excited everytime i see you drop another test report and i really couldn't care less if it makes me a sad case obsessive lmao XD

Some of the ratings come not just from the temperature but the voltage sag and discharge curve shape. You can see when they start getting stressed.

Also, I do not have the 24S datasheet yet so I rate conservatively. It is much easier to adjust the rating from 25A to 30A, if required at a later date, than the other way around. People go full on apoplectic when I do that. :)

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
    May 3, 2016
    Alhama de Murcia, Spain
    I agree with you both mimöschen and Mooch, Samsung may rate this cell just 25A despite being under 80°C when discharged at 30A, but this is just because they like to be cautious with their ratings. This is wise, it is very unlikely to dissapoint customers this way. :)
    Where is it available?

Cheers :D

Wiamiere

Dec 4, 2017
    Some of the ratings come not just from the temperature but the voltage sag and discharge curve shape. You can see when they start getting stressed.

Also, I do not have the 24S datasheet yet so I rate conservatively. It is much easier to adjust the rating from 25A to 30A, if required at a later date, than the other way around. People go full on apoplectic when I do that. :)

Ahh right, that makes perfect sense, thanks again!
    Yeah, I got a bit sandy when you downgraded the CDR of the 30T didn't I....Sorry about that lol :)

Wiamiere

Dec 4, 2017
    I agree with you both mimöschen and Mooch, Samsung may rate this cell just 25A despite being under 80°C when discharged at 30A, but this is just because they like to be cautious with their ratings. This is wise, it is very unlikely to dissapoint customers this way. :)
    Where is it available?

Cheers :D

I understand, they seem to prioritise cycle life don't they.

Reactions: stols001

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Ahh right, that makes perfect sense, thanks again!
    Yeah, I got a bit sandy when you downgraded the CDR of the 30T didn't I....Sorry about that lol :)

I have to ask why get upset. :)
    Nothing in the battery changed, just my rating. The initial one was just an estimate too and a change from 40A to 35A is tiny.

Why do folks get upset at better, more accurate info? I honestly would love to know as it would help me with how I explain any adjustments that have to be made in the future.

Last edited:

Wiamiere

Dec 4, 2017
    I have to ask why get upset. :)
    Nothing in the battery changed, just my rating. The initial one was just an estimate too and a change from 40A to 35A is tiny.

Why do folks get upset at better, more accurate info? I honestly would love to know as it would help me with how I explain any adjustments that have to be made in the future.

I'm not sure, I was mostly attempting humour stating I got a bit sandy, but your right, some of us do.
    I just like to further understand your reasoning upon doing so because I genuinely find it intresting :)

I will be the first to admit I find thing a little confusing occasionally, like when multiple cells run at the same temperature but are all given different ratings...I know now it's because different manufacturers prioritise different things, from performance over cycle life to cycle life over performance but in all honesty, because of this I trust your a tings more than theirs, since you take cycle life into consideration as equally as performance and you testing is done with a mind to these cells being used to vape so I see your ratings as being more applicable.
    Hence, my intrest when ratings change and my metaphorical twisty knickers lol :)

Reactions: Mooch

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Thanks for your testing Mooch,,,,any idea when/where this cell will become available??? My hometown dealer[Liionwholesale] ran out several weeks ago.:(

I have a handful of VTC5D[Vapcell re wraps],,,supposedly this 24S is a slightly better cell.:)

Sorry, I don’t know.

Reactions: Robin Becker
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread