Bench Test Results: Vapcell Gold 4000mAh 30A 21700...seems to be Samsung 40T, beats 30T for reg mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the estimated ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s continuous current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

7F9A15D4-3731-4F8A-9A8D-0872FACF5E42.jpeg DFF21D92-8783-4147-B137-6DA82C062588.jpeg 35EF31A1-E3F4-44A6-BF32-67D8AC49824B.jpeg E7931201-64BC-4CDD-A520-9285D1D03EFD.jpeg

Bottom Line
    The Vapcell is identical in appearance and even a touch better in performance to the Samsung 40T’s I tested four months ago. Perhaps they tweaked the chemistry of the 40T since my test of it or the samples I tested then were a lower grade.

The Samsung 40T, and this rewrap of it, are incredible performers. They easily hit harder than any other cell available to us except the Samsung 30T and are a great choice at higher power levels. This cell and the 40T easily outperform the Sanyo NCR20700A for both regulated and unregulated devices.

While the hard hitting 30T is the king for unregulated devices the 40T and this cell beat out the 30T for high power regulated devices, delivering 8.1Wh at 30A down to 3.2V (about 3.6V when put in a charger) versus about 7.3Wh for the Samsung 30T. The Sanyo NCR20700A only delivered about 5.1Wh.

I am rating this Vapcell at 30A and 3900mAh. Its “typical” or “nominal” capacity is about 4000mAh.

I do not know who has this cell in stock or when anyone will be stocking it. Please check with your favorite vendors or Vapcell.

Two cells were donated for the purposes of testing by Vapcell (www.vapcelltech.com). Thank you!

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    904562A8-D2D2-43E5-99D9-D4E22244C016.jpeg 6A1B627F-0801-4EDF-98BA-6AB4ACE16F07.jpeg

Ratings Graphic
    9038E15F-FAB9-40BC-BC66-975B1A30A697.jpeg

Performance Specs
    • DC Internal Resistance = 13.8mOhms (milliohms) average for the two cells.
    • Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 10A continuous = 11.4Wh (Watt-hours) average
    • Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 20A continuous = 10.0Wh (Watt-hours) average
    • Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 30A continuous = 8.1Wh (Watt-hours) average
    To see how other cells have tested check out this link: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blog-entry/list-of-battery-tests.7436/

Mactavish

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 19, 2010
    New York
    Thanks Mooch!
    Decided on these for my single battery LV Mirage (takes 18650/20700/21700). Since I’m not a high wattage vaper, the high capacity over all the other brand tests you’ve done so far, made the choice easy.

Would be GREAT, in future tests if you included the AC resistance numbers, using the VapCell meter you reviewed, and I bought. I understand why you measure the DC resistance, but since like many that can’t afford or need the same expensive test equipment you use, the DC resistance is not very useful to me. Since the VapCell resistance meter is affordable for end users, having those AC readings on new batteries for comparison would be more useful. I was unsuccessful in finding the spec sheet for the Sanyo 40T, as I was hoping to find the AC resistance in the specs as Sony does.

Anyways, when I get the 3 VapCells, I’ll come back here with my AC resistance test results. Maybe we can compare, assuming you still have the VapCell meter.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Thanks Mooch!
    Decided on these for my single battery LV Mirage (takes 18650/20700/21700). Since I’m not a high wattage vaper, the high capacity over all the other brand tests you’ve done so far, made the choice easy.

Would be GREAT, in future tests if you included the AC resistance numbers, using the VapCell meter you reviewed, and I bought. I understand why you measure the DC resistance, but since like many that can’t afford or need the same expensive test equipment you use, the DC resistance is not very useful to me. Since the VapCell resistance meter is affordable for end users, having those AC readings on new batteries for comparison would be more useful. I was unsuccessful in finding the spec sheet for the Sanyo 40T, as I was hoping to find the AC resistance in the specs as Sony does.

Anyways, when I get the 3 VapCells, I’ll come back here with my AC resistance test results. Maybe we can compare, assuming you still have the VapCell meter.

I would use my BK Precision Battery Analyzer for any AC IR measurements as that Vapcell meter was torn apart. :)

I’ll give it some thought but, right now, won’t be adding AC IR to my test results as the DC IR is what we use to calculate voltage sag and the battery data sheets from the manufacturer typically just list the max AC IR, not the typical value.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 19, 2010
    New York
    Hey Mooch, thanks again for your tests which steered me toward waiting for these Sanyo 40T “VapCell” rewraps. You may want to consider adding this company to your recommended vendor list, if they are not already on it. (Link below)

Fast delivery, if you order two or more or get a free case, not the cheap plastic ones, but a nice 2 battery, black zipper case. The batteries had a plastic shrink wrap on them, as well as a scratch & sniff authenticity sticker. Very professional. They came with a low voltage of about 3.45, so I have to fully charge them, my Xtar VP2 is only capable of a 1 amp charge, now wishing I had a 2-4 amp charger as this is going to take some time.

I’ll next do the AC internal resistance tests with the VapCell meter, after letting them rest for an hour, and report back. After that I’ll do my mAh drain tests down to 2.5 volts.

As of a few days a go, these were available here:
    Http://www.18650BatteryStore.com

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hey Mooch, thanks again for your tests which steered me toward waiting for these Sanyo 40T “VapCell” rewraps. You may want to consider adding this company to your recommended vendor list, if they are not already on it. (Link below)

Fast delivery, if you order two or more or get a free case, not the cheap plastic ones, but a nice 2 battery, black zipper case. The batteries had a plastic shrink wrap on them, as well as a scratch & sniff authenticity sticker. Very professional. They came with a low voltage of about 3.45, so I have to fully charge them, my Xtar VP2 is only capable of a 1 amp charge, now wishing I had a 2-4 amp charger as this is going to take some time.

I’ll next do the AC internal resistance tests with the VapCell meter, after letting them rest for an hour, and report back. After that I’ll do my mAh drain tests down to 2.5 volts.

It usually takes at least a year and feedback from hundreds of vapers before I’ll add a name to the list but I’m keeping an ear out for feedback about them. Thanks!

Mroutlaw

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 13, 2012
    Deerfield Beach, Florida
    www.
    It usually takes at least a year and feedback from hundreds of vapers before I’ll add a name to the list but I’m keeping an ear out for feedback about them. Thanks!
    I will give another thumbs up for 18650batterystore. I ordered from them several times. My Sony VTC5A are awesome and they sell them for $6.99. All my orders came quickly and with a free case and battery wraps

Reactions: stols001

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium

I'll give them a thumbs down as they don't ship these Vapcell batteries to anywhere besides the U.S. or Canada, and their FAQ says to create an account to find out what countries they can ship to. :nah:

Mactavish

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 19, 2010
    New York
    NEW VapCell Gold 21700 30A 4000mAh Batteries (Samsung 40T rewraps):

4-20-2018 (from www.18650BatteryStore.com, $18/each)

INTERNAL RESISTANCE measurements, 1 hour after full charge using VapCell YR1030 meter (measures at AC @ 1kHz).
    NOTE: IR readings taken, (with 1 hour cooling rests), before initial charge, after full charge, after capacity drain down test, and then full charge again, were all surprisingly very close, little variation. Final results listed are averages of multiple readings.

BATTERY CAPACITY TESTS, using ZKE “EBD-MO2”. Using the 2 amp. discharge setting, and 2.5 volt cutoff.

NOTE: Info from a chart on the VapCell website, lists “Max AC internal resistance: 10 milli-Ohms”.
    (*have yet to find any spec sheet on original branded version, Samsung 40T batteries).

#1: IR = 9.13 mOhm. CAPACITY: 4060 mAh.
    #2: IR = 9.13 mOhm. CAPACITY: 4007 mAh.
    #3: IR = 9.08 mOhm. CAPACITY: 4045 mAh.

Last edited:

Wiamiere

Dec 4, 2017
    I'll give them a thumbs down as they don't ship these Vapcell batteries to anywhere besides the U.S. or Canada, and their FAQ says to create an account to find out what countries they can ship to. :nah:

Have you tried Fogstar.co.uk or Nature Vape in the UK? they both stck the vapcell 30t,40t and sanyoA rewraps and may ship to you :)
    Use code POTV15 at Fogstar for 15% off.

dripster

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2017
    Belgium
    Have you tried Fogstar.co.uk or Nature Vape in the UK? they both stck the vapcell 30t,40t and sanyoA rewraps and may ship to you :)
    Use code POTV15 at Fogstar for 15% off.
    Thanks, but I already checked these vendors some time ago. Fogstar you can only select the U.K. or Isle of Man for the shipping address, whereas Nature Vape can ship to pretty much anywhere, but they are vastly more expensive than NKON in The Netherlands. NKON will be having the Vapcell rewraps of both the 30T and the 40T as well as the Vapcell gold (not the Sanyo A, but the other one also tested by Mooch) in stock by early next week. The city of Eindhoven, where NKON are based, is located near Belgium where I live so the shipping is usually quite fast, and, last but not least, NKON are also on Mooch's list of trusted battery vendors.

Mactavish

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 19, 2010
    New York
    These VapCell Gold, rewrapped Samsung 40T’s are GREAT. Spec wise and Mooches tests as well as my home tests indicate they are new cells, and the wrapping from VapCell makes them better then a raw wrapped Samsung, they do a great job. They easily last more then 2 times as long as my various Sony 18650’s the way I vape. Regardless of pricing I’m very happy I bought 3 of them. I guess if you use a mech mod, or vape at high watts, the 30T, with the slightly higher amp rating may be a better choice, but for everything else, so far these are unbeatable.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread