Bench Test Results: Vapcell Purple 25A 3000mAh 18650...it’s a 20A VTC6A rewrap, better than VTC5A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    These tests below only note the estimated ratings for these batteries at the time I tested them. Any battery that is not a genuine Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, or Sanyo can change at any time! This is one of the hazards of using “rewrapped” or batteries from other manufacturers so carefully research any battery you are considering using before purchasing.

Misusing or mishandling lithium-ion batteries can pose a SERIOUS RISK of personal injury or property damage. They are not meant to be used outside of a protected battery pack. Never exceed the battery’s continuous current rating and keep the plastic wrap and top insulating ring in perfect condition.

Testing batteries at their limits is dangerous and should never, ever, be attempted by anyone who has not thoroughly studied the dangers involved, understands the risks, has the proper equipment, and takes all appropriate safety precautions.

If the battery has only one current rating number, or if it only says "max", then I have to assume the battery is rated at that current level for any type of discharge, including continuous.

BB36B46B-BA7B-42EB-BAC8-29AE248EC6F0.jpeg 2678D030-47AB-406B-AC2C-F00C22979C25.jpeg 807C1194-CC42-4906-B97F-0E4C0802E364.jpeg 862911C3-945B-4DE7-90BF-D5DAFADE07BA.jpeg

Bottom Line
    This cell is identical in performance and appearance to the great performing Sony VTC6A. The VTC6A might not hit quite as hard as the VTC5A at the start but its 3000mAh capacity means it performs better than the VTC5A after that. The VTC6A is a great option for both regulated and unregulated mod users at up to 25A if you don’t get it hot.

The cells I tested still had a faint image of the Sony printing on the metal can indicating it was a VTC6A manufactured in November, 2016. Not a great date but it still performed better than the VTC5A.

I don’t have the VTC6A’s datasheet but my 20A-25A estimated rating for it seems to fit what I am seeing online, that it is rated 20A continuous with a temperature-limited rating of 25A. That is, if you don’t let it get hot (over 80°C) then it can be run at 25A.

This Vapcell’s 25A rating is a bit higher than the VTC6A’s continuous rating. But if you do not exceed 80°C then you can use it at up to 25A.

This Vapcell’s 3000mAh rating is accurate though and is my estimate until I get ahold of the VTC6A datasheet to see where they set the rated capacity and nominal/typical capacity.

I do not know who has this cell in stock or when anyone will be stocking it. Please check with Eciggity, your favorite vendors, or Vapcell for more information.

Two cells were donated for the purposes of testing by Eciggity (www.eciggity.com). Thank you!

Continuous Current Discharge Graphs
    D4C79615-2DA8-419E-B8B9-AF11E7A6192C.jpeg

Ratings Graphic
    3097B153-672C-4E46-BCDC-A99496065AFF.jpeg

Performance Specs
    DC Internal Resistance = 18.5mOhms (milliohms) average for the two cells.
    Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 10A continuous = 7.4Wh (Watt-hours) average
    Total energy delivered down to 3.2V at 20A continuous = 6.4Wh (Watt-hours) average

Comments

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Thank you very much:thumb:

I'm wondering though, that the internal resistance is a bit on the high side compared to the new Samsungs 30&40T.
    Seems like there is enough headroom for Murata to tweak the chemistry even further. Or am I missing something?

There’s always room to tweak chemistry. :)
    The 18650 is a lot smaller cell than the 21700’s though.

But does that alter the cost or other performance characteristics to make it less attractive for the industrial/commercial customers for the VTC6A? Each cell is a very specific mix of performance and cost to make it a good choice for the market segment it was created for.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I'm not denying that this is a very good cell, but I thought diameter is more corellated to capacity, not to IR.
    So I'm wondering, if Murata could have done even better than that, or is Samsung just that much ahead of its time?

They can do better but what happens if the increased cost makes the cell a poorer choice for the market segment it is targeting? The vast majority of their customers balance cost vs performance very carefully.

Samsung and Sony are targeting different markets with their different cells.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Ok. That makes sense in a way. Thanks for your quick reply.
    However, I'm curious to see Murata's pricing, because over all their prices per cell seem to be more on the high side as well.

Sony’s battery operations are still independent and they may be setting prices only guided by overall profit goals set by Murata.

The prices were higher than a lot of cells before sold the battery business though. They have higher performance cells and charge for it. Their delivery, warranty, and return policies for their industrial/commercial customers might justify some of the higher pricing too.

Reactions: mimöschen
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread