Benefits of Ceramic Base Plates in RDA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThaHealer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
Gone AWOL
I've been searching and I'm sure this information is around somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it. Ceramic cups are used in all kinds of attys and rba's, but I've recently been looking at a few rda's like the Immortalizer and Reomizer 2.0 where the coil isn't encased in a ceramic cup, but rather just sits above a ceramic base plate. Anyone know the advantages of the ceramic in these designs versus their all metal counterparts?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
heat and conductivity.
in the cup design the idea is it can suspend the coil with no worries about shorting and the material itself is safe when heated.
in the design where its sitting on the bottom it will take longer for the atty under normal conditions to overheat as well as no chance for the coil to short out should it touch the plate.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Any effect on the actual vape quality

not really, its a good way to pull off things inside the atty you couldnt normally do otherwise. a floating wick over an air hole for example.

just think if you were building one, you go what do we use as an insulator ? cant use plastic. cant use metal. need something cheap to mold and produce. glass? naa too hot and it cracks. so narrow it down and not a lot of choices left, ceramic takes a lot of heat is cheap to produce and is inert to juices.

not really, its a good way to pull off things inside the atty you couldnt normally do otherwise. a floating wick over an air hole for example.

just think if you were building one, you go what do we use as an insulator ? cant use plastic. cant use metal. need something cheap to mold and produce. glass? naa too hot and it cracks. so narrow it down and not a lot of choices left, ceramic takes a lot of heat is cheap to produce and is inert to juices.

Amazing answer :O

ThaHealer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
Gone AWOL
I've also found that it seems to produce a less dry vape. This comes from comparing my Cyclone RDA to my RM2. The Cyclone having the metal base, and the RM2 ceramic.
Claims like this are part of the reason I asked. I'm skeptical unless someone can give a rationale. The juice isn't vaporized directly from the ceramic, air still flows over the coil in a similar manner, after it has passed over the ceramic (assuming both the two atties compared have either side or bottom fed airflow), the coil heats the same way. If it is in fact just a heat sink/insulator drawing some heat away from the coil/chamber might effect things, but I would think this happens in all metal atties as well, the heat just transfers more to the metal top cap, no?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
i would think in the case of the rm2, the ceramic, while not actually heated directly is getting contact heat from the coil directly over the surface and may be vaping any additional juice directly under the coil....maybe....

but after about a dozen drippers i found each has there own vape and is part of the basic design of that dripper.. the cyclone is a warm dry vape yet my trident seems like a wet saturated vapor..

geoVoeg

Mar 5, 2013
United States
just think if you were building one, you go what do we use as an insulator ? cant use plastic. cant use metal. need something cheap to mold and produce. glass? naa too hot and it cracks.

What about heat-tempered specialty glass, like borosilicate (aka 'pyrex')? I want to experiment with vaping my juice (of varying viscosity, from near solid to very thin) from glass plates that sit on coils -- trying to figure out a way to use glass to avoid contact with metals.

Aside from concerns about cracking glass, are there other issues with a setup where coils stay relatively clean? Will bare clean coils release undesirable flavor notes? Thinking about ceramic as an alternative.

spaceman84

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2013
North Carolina
Claims like this are part of the reason I asked. I'm skeptical unless someone can give a rationale. The juice isn't vaporized directly from the ceramic, air still flows over the coil in a similar manner, after it has passed over the ceramic (assuming both the two atties compared have either side or bottom fed airflow), the coil heats the same way. If it is in fact just a heat sink/insulator drawing some heat away from the coil/chamber might effect things, but I would think this happens in all metal atties as well, the heat just transfers more to the metal top cap, no?

Ceramic conducts far less heat than metal so in this case it's actually an insulator and will likely cause the atomizer to retain heat and prevent the body of the atomizer from getting as hot.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread