Status
Not open for further replies.

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
When you build in series, you double the voltage, but you are still running off the max amp rating of one battery. If you build parallel, the voltage stays the same, but you double the max ampacity. In a series build, 21A is not safe unless you have 30A batteries. But it's fine in a parallel build with 20A batteries.

And that's assuming the batteries are working together perfectly. ;)
In the real world, even with 'married-for-life' pairs of batteries one is likely to be working harder than the other in a given situation. If the difference is 20%, you'd better have a 20% cushion with your expectations.

The pulse rating is similar to an auto maker's specification regarding braking/stopping capability. They might claim, "60mph to 0 in 150 feet, (or whatever)." Would you trust them on that when you're barreling down on a crosswalk full of pedestrians?

A very wise old logger told me many years ago, "Rule number one is: don't cut faster than you can think."
That advice has kept me out of trouble in a number disciplines.

TorontoOntario

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2014
Canada
Sorry, I just DOWN RIGHT MAD when people say stuff like the guy a few posts ago about the burst. Some guy WORKING at a B&M PROUDLY told me he was running his E Fest at 41a. I dont care if you dont take ten second draws or you havent had a hot battery you should still practise battery safety. I guess cause I came up in a time were we as vapers were EXCITED to be taught, we didnt start with a SMPL hybrid and a RDA. I mean, I have read Bads stuff soooo many times and one thing that is JUST NOT AN OPINION in regards to vapeing is batteries. If you wanna be stupid, fine BUT PLEASE dont preach your stupidness on here and also when something happens dont come here talking about it.

Reactions: tj99959

pnyc

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
xXx
Does he meant 41A or 14A? Even at 14A, they 'll vent.

Efest 18650 Battery Venting at 14Amp | E-Cigarette Forum

Sorry, I just DOWN RIGHT MAD when people say stuff like the guy a few posts ago about the burst. Some guy WORKING at a B&M PROUDLY told me he was running his E Fest at 41a. I dont care if you dont take ten second draws or you havent had a hot battery you should still practise battery safety. I guess cause I came up in a time were we as vapers were EXCITED to be taught, we didnt start with a SMPL hybrid and a RDA. I mean, I have read Bads stuff soooo many times and one thing that is JUST NOT AN OPINION in regards to vapeing is batteries. If you wanna be stupid, fine BUT PLEASE dont preach your stupidness on here and also when something happens dont come here talking about it.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Let me put all this in a slightly different context.

I only use AW IMR batteries. WHY??? Only because I trust them & know what to expect from them.
    Yes I'm well aware that they are not the "latest & greatest", but what I also know is that they will perform the way I expect them to perform.

Use what you trust, you will find that vaping is a lot less stressful that way.

Foggyroomz

ECF Veteran
    Nov 14, 2014
    Indiana
    I like Mnke batteries for how hard they hit and they have decent staying power but they don't have great mah ratings and they have never heat up on me or anything like that even when pushing CDR limits in a mech I was a Sony guy for the longest time but there are far too many clones and wannabes out there now that the Samsung 25r's have become my go to cell but looking for a good vtc 4 replacement that has the same performance stats.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

Str8vision

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2013
    Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
    I don't buy batteries from vendors that lists a battery's "pulse" rating as its discharge rating. I don't buy rewrapped batteries, don't see the need. I refuse to pay two or three times what a battery's worth at some trendy shop. $6.50 for LG HE4s, $6 for VTC4s, $5 for Samsung 25Rs all at Illumn, a legitimate, trustworthy and reputable battery supplier.

A flavor chaser, I used Panasonic18650PF batteries back in my "tootle puffing" days but briefly changed to Sony VTC4s when I transitioned to sub ohm and RBAs. Once I found my sweet spot (0.4 ohms @ 42 watts), I switched to using Samsung 25Rs, been using them ever since and couldn't be happier.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I don't buy batteries from vendors that lists a battery's "pulse" rating as its discharge rating. I don't buy rewrapped batteries, don't see the need. I refuse to pay two or three times what a battery's worth at some trendy shop. $6.50 for LG HE4s, $6 for VTC4s, $5 for Samsung 25Rs all at Illumn, a legitimate, trustworthy and reputable battery supplier.

A flavor chaser, I used Panasonic18650PF batteries back in my "tootle puffing" days but briefly changed to Sony VTC4s when I transitioned to sub ohm and RBAs. Once I found my sweet spot (0.4 ohms @ 42 watts), I switched to using Samsung 25Rs, been using them ever since and couldn't be happier.

That's 10 amps, 50% of the batteries CDR.
    I try to never exceed 50%. Simply because as a battery ages, it's mAh degrades. As the mAh degrades, so does the batteries CDR.

Reactions: Str8vision

Foggyroomz

ECF Veteran
    Nov 14, 2014
    Indiana
    What I love is how everyone swears by Efest purple cells and that they are 35A cells I won't hit a mech with an Efest in it at .50 ohms never mind lower I seen too many vented Efest's to even consider using one. AW cells have a pretty decent reputation but again just like the Orbtronics cells they are rewrappped Panasonic cells that doesn't exactly make them bad but I prefer to know that I have a cell that is wrapped by the company that makes and rates them so I know that the performance of the cell is not over rated for a gimmicky sales pitch.

xpen

ECF Veteran
    Jun 18, 2012
    Italy
    What I love is how everyone swears by Efest purple cells and that they are 35A cells I won't hit a mech with an Efest in it at .50 ohms never mind lower I seen too many vented Efest's to even consider using one. AW cells have a pretty decent reputation but again just like the Orbtronics cells they are rewrappped Panasonic cells that doesn't exactly make them bad but I prefer to know that I have a cell that is wrapped by the company that makes and rates them so I know that the performance of the cell is not over rated for a gimmicky sales pitch.
    Efest just rewraps other brands' cells, so it's down to a Russian roulette what you end up with, inside the very same wrap..

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Efest supposedly has a new cell that boasts 35A CDR 80 pulse and 2800 mah.i have a friend that has 2 of them already says they hit harder than his vtc4. I have him getting hold of a couple of them for me so I can put them up against my Samsung 25r's and my vtc4 cells.

In my testing that is barely a 20A battery that gets dangerously hot at only 25A. It hits a lot softer than a VTC4/5 or 25R. Even the 30Q hits harder!

Last edited:

eddiea

ECF Veteran
    Sep 8, 2014
    Laguna Niguel, CA USA
    Eddiea I sent my friend the link to that video he had intentions of using those cells in a new mech that is due to arrive Friday I don't want him getting hurt so thank you for posting it
    As long as your friend's build (ohms) isn't too low, it might be ok to use but supposedly these are the first non-rewrapped batteries actually made by Efest so I wouldn't put too much faith in them initially - especially since the recent reports don't seem to be favorable. These caught my attention when they were first released, then the new LG HG2 3000mah cells were released so I bought a pair of those without hesitation. The new green-wrapped Samsung 25R5 cells seem to be a popular choice as well. Vape safe always.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread