Best High-Wattage VW Regulated Mod, Tube Design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randomizeme2

Jan 28, 2009
USA
This was exactly how I felt about my Provari, and honestly, I'll probably never get rid of it - best backup device ever. My SXmini is exactly what I was looking for, although at $189, it sounds like it's out of your budget. I'm with him on the long tube mods. Even the Provari in 18650 mode with a Lemo was too big for me. My new one's about as tall as a soda can with the tank on it and about an inch and a half shorter than my iPhone without an atty. Having a little more width was totally worth it to me in exchange for the length.

Novamatt, it certainly is more than I'd ever want to spend on an APV. However, the aesthetics of this type of device is acceptable, and based on what you and others have said, possibly preferable to a straight-tube style design.

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
My biggest issue is that I have a phenomenal APV in the Zmax V5. It just is limited to 1.2 ohms minimum and is maxed out at 15W. I want something that will allow me to either get more vapor out of my existing tank or something that gives me the power of at least 30, and preferably 40, watts. So, if there was a Sigelei Zmax V5 or whatever model that offered 30-40+ watts, at a reasonable price, I'd jump on it. That's what makes the Vamo V9 attractive. However, seeing how small the rDNA is, makes me feel like it wouldn't be that big of a deal to have a less boxey, box mod.

If you can swing for the rDNA 40, with the temp controlled BVC or Atlantis coils, I think you will be blown away. I think lots of chips are having problems going over 30 watts. That's my experience, anyway, so I would not get anything without am Evolv or perhaps a YiHi chip (though I think even YiHi has been having trouble with the higher watts). I would either buy something really good or just stick with what you've got. Of course, if you're anything like me, you will learn your lessons the hard way.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I think a mech mod is out of the question for me, as I am not that level of user, nor will I be. I prefer to have some control, but not at the expense of other things. In this case, I don't want to rebuild, nor do I want to lose the control. So, a regulated mod is probably my best bet. I will say that a short box, with a less boxey design will probably catch my eye just fine. I just need it to be significantly better than my V5 to pull the money out of my wallet. Thank you.

(Hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse here)
Using a mech doesn't require you to rebuild, particularly now that stock sub-ohm heads are available.
And although it's much more primitive, you can control the power of the vape by pulsing the fire button, rather than just holding it in.

I do understand where you're coming from though, it's just that "high-power + regulated + tube" limits your choices by a lot!

Randomizeme2

Jan 28, 2009
USA
If you can swing for the rDNA 40, with the temp controlled BVC or Atlantis coils, I think you will be blown away. I think lots of chips are having problems going over 30 watts. That's my experience, anyway, so I would not get anything without am Evolv or perhaps a YiHi chip (though I think even YiHi has been having trouble with the higher watts). I would either buy something really good or just stick with what you've got. Of course, if you're anything like me, you will learn your lessons the hard way.

I get what you're saying caged. I am trying to not learn things the hard way by asking first. I usually try first, then report later. Hopefully with your, and others', advice I will be able to make the best decision and get the best value. Otherwise, it may end up that I keep my Zmax V5.

(Hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse here)
Using a mech doesn't require you to rebuild, particularly now that stock sub-ohm heads are available.
And although it's much more primitive, you can control the power of the vape by pulsing the fire button, rather than just holding it in.

I do understand where you're coming from though, it's just that "high-power + regulated + tube" limits your choices by a lot!

twgbonehead, I appreciate your point of view. I would say that the part of that equation you wrote that I am willing to negotiate on, is the tube. I will accept, and maybe even welcome, a box mod as long as it isn't too boxey ala HANA mod. I do not like that, or any of the super boxey looking mods. I did, however, like that SXmini someone mentioned aesthetically, however it's $190 price point turned me way off.

One other thing to note, I am already "happy" with what I've got, and I'm only seeking the "end all" regulated mod that will give me that high-wattage benefit and keep things aesthetically, and financially, pleasing. Thanks for all the advice so far, and for the anticipated advice from others.

novamatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Washington, DC area
If you like the look of the SXmini, but not the price, it may be worth looking at a ZNA clone. Similar aesthetic, lower price tag. It's a chinese clone chip, though, so I'm not sure how well it performs, and you won't have a solid warranty backing it up like you would with a SX or DNA based device..

The big issue with trying to get one of these higher wattage devices at a low price point is that quality chips aren't cheap. An authentic DNA40 or SX350 chip alone costs $60-70, and then you need to put it into some sort of enclosure, add buttons and a battery holder, and wire it all up, so there's more parts and some labor on top of that. Then the guy (or company) who makes it needs to make some sort of profit, as does the vendor who buys it from them and sells it to you. Some of the less pretty box mods use the SX330 (the IPV series and Sigelei boxes), which is significantly lower cost (and still a high quality, authentic YiHi chip), but then you end up with the boxy look you don't want.

I'm not trying to be rude, so please don't take this the wrong way. But if you're happy with what you have and are just looking for the mod that's your vape nirvana, it might be worth considering continuing to use your Zmax while you save up a little bit for a more expensive device. I mean, it's the be all end all, right? It kind of sounds like you're only interested in something that would be considered a high end device, but not willing to pay a high end price tag for it. In vaping as in all other things, you usually get what you pay for. The disclaimer here is that you're talking to a guy who owns a Provari and an SXmini, so I'm obviously ok with paying $200 for a quality mod. And I feel like both of those purchases were worth every penny and then some. On the other hand, those are the only two mods I've purchased in the past year, while my coworker who likes cheaper mods went through 5 or 6 of them that went bad before he took my advice, got a Provari, and found what he was looking for. Overall, I've spent less than he has, I just did it in bigger chunks.

Side note - I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the YiHi chips hitting higher watts. Mine's dead accurate from 5 watts all the way to 60, and several other people have tested theirs with the same results. There's a reason the SX350 is the most popular modder's chip in the high wattage ranges.

Last edited:

Randomizeme2

Jan 28, 2009
USA
If you like the look of the SXmini, but not the price, it may be worth looking at a ZNA clone. Similar aesthetic, lower price tag. It's a chinese clone chip, though, so I'm not sure how well it performs, and you won't have a solid warranty backing it up like you would with a SX or DNA based device..

The big issue with trying to get one of these higher wattage devices at a low price point is that quality chips aren't cheap. An authentic DNA40 or SX350 chip alone costs $60-70, and then you need to put it into some sort of enclosure, add buttons and a battery holder, and wire it all up, so there's more parts and some labor on top of that. Then the guy (or company) who makes it needs to make some sort of profit, as does the vendor who buys it from them and sells it to you. Some of the less pretty box mods use the SX330 (the IPV series and Sigelei boxes), which is significantly lower cost (and still a high quality, authentic YiHi chip), but then you end up with the boxy look you don't want.

I'm not trying to be rude, so please don't take this the wrong way. But if you're happy with what you have and are just looking for the mod that's your vape nirvana, it might be worth considering continuing to use your Zmax while you save up a little bit for a more expensive device. I mean, it's the be all end all, right? It kind of sounds like you're only interested in something that would be considered a high end device, but not willing to pay a high end price tag for it. In vaping as in all other things, you usually get what you pay for. The disclaimer here is that you're talking to a guy who owns a Provari and an SXmini, so I'm obviously ok with paying $200 for a quality mod. And I feel like both of those purchases were worth every penny and then some. On the other hand, those are the only two mods I've purchased in the past year, while my coworker who likes cheaper mods went through 5 or 6 of them that went bad before he took my advice, got a Provari, and found what he was looking for. Overall, I've spent less than he has, I just did it in bigger chunks.

Side note - I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the YiHi chips hitting higher watts. Mine's dead accurate from 5 watts all the way to 60, and several other people have tested theirs with the same results. There's a reason the SX350 is the most popular modder's chip in the high wattage ranges.

I appreciate everything you've imparted on me. However it is not that I need to save more necessarily, it is that I know don't want my budget for a APV to go up. As far as I am concerned, I just want to be impressed with something enough to drop a certain amount of money on it. That amount of money, however, is not going to go above my perceived max no matter how impressed I am.

So, I could ask you what is the best SX 350 chip device that is reasonably priced. I could also ask overall, placing a aesthetics aside, what devices would be good for me. In either case, what I really am looking for is, even from a Chinese chip manufacturer, a device that will fit within the rest of my needs. Any other advice?

Edit: And, don't worry I wouldn't take what you said as an insult. I appreciate the honest advice and good conversation.

novamatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Washington, DC area
The best SX350 device is the one you build yourself. :)

As far as reasonably priced and 30 watts or higher, with an authentic chip, I'd take a look at the IPV mini ($70, 30 watts, and may be the closest to your preferred look with the rounded shape like the SXmini), the IPV2S ($100, 60 watts, rectangle box with rounded edges), and the Sigelei 50W ($65, 50 watts, plain rectangle box). The Sigelei is going to get you the best power to dollar ratio, and the IPVs have more comfortable curves, along with spring loaded 510 pins that will adjust to your atomizer. All 3 of them use authentic YiHi SX line chips and run on a single high drain 18650 battery.

If it were me looking for one of them, I'd probably go with the IPV mini - I like the form factor and primarily run rebuildable tanks, so I very rarely push over 30 watts. If you're planning to start dripping any time soon, you may be better served with one of the other two.

You should also look around the forums to see what people think of the DNA clones. I haven't paid much attention to them, but the price is great for 50 watts and I'm betting you'll like the look of them. The ZNA looks super classy.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
I appreciate everything you've imparted on me. However it is not that I need to save more necessarily, it is that I know don't want my budget for a APV to go up. As far as I am concerned, I just want to be impressed with something enough to drop a certain amount of money on it. That amount of money, however, is not going to go above my perceived max no matter how impressed I am.

Manufacturing costs/profits and the marketplace set prices rather than any particular individual's budget considerations. If it helps any Vapor Shark is having a 10% off everything sale until 12/24 using HOHOHO code. YiHi is insisting that dealers hold on the $190 price for the SX Mini mod so as to not undercut their customers who are custom modders using their SX350 and SX350mini chips. SX350 mods are normally ≥$200.

The temperature protection of the DNA40 chip makes a significant difference for me in getting exactly the type of vape I prefer. Vapor Shark already has the Ni200 heads one needs to use temperature protection in stock now for the Aspire Nautilus and heads for the Aspire Atlantis and Kanger subohm tank are in the works. However, the DNA40 chip works in normal mode with Kanthal or Nichrome coils as well.

The YiHi SX350mini and the Evolv DNA40 chips are top quality but I would definitely recommend the DNA40 for someone who does not build their own heads because the temperature protection offers the vaper more flexibility in choosing the type of vape they prefer using stock coils.

Pushbutton

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2014
Vienna, Austria
I have been cracking my head what else to suggest, but at the given price point that is rather difficult. Anything around or under 100€ might end up having longevity issues in daily use.
What about the Aspire sub-ohm battery. Since you mentioned the Atlantis, i think it would most likely pair well.
Acceptable price point, quite nice looks (again subjective), built in safety features..... however non-adjustable volt/wattage (like a mech with safety)

Aspire - Aspire CF SUB? Battery

Last edited:

Randomizeme2

Jan 28, 2009
USA
The best SX350 device is the one you build yourself. :)

As far as reasonably priced and 30 watts or higher, with an authentic chip, I'd take a look at the IPV mini ($70, 30 watts, and may be the closest to your preferred look with the rounded shape like the SXmini), the IPV2S ($100, 60 watts, rectangle box with rounded edges), and the Sigelei 50W ($65, 50 watts, plain rectangle box). The Sigelei is going to get you the best power to dollar ratio, and the IPVs have more comfortable curves, along with spring loaded 510 pins that will adjust to your atomizer. All 3 of them use authentic YiHi SX line chips and run on a single high drain 18650 battery.

If it were me looking for one of them, I'd probably go with the IPV mini - I like the form factor and primarily run rebuildable tanks, so I very rarely push over 30 watts. If you're planning to start dripping any time soon, you may be better served with one of the other two.

You should also look around the forums to see what people think of the DNA clones. I haven't paid much attention to them, but the price is great for 50 watts and I'm betting you'll like the look of them. The ZNA looks super classy.

I have looked at the options you all have presented, and I am starting to value a DNA 40 or YiHi chip almost without knowing much about them. I do not want the Sigelei 50W because of looks, the IPV mini because of power limitations (30 watts), and the IPV2S because of price. With regard to DNA clones, it would likely cost me almsot the same amount as the pre-built DNA or YiHi device after it was all said and done. etc..

Manufacturing costs/profits and the marketplace set prices rather than any particular individual's budget considerations. If it helps any Vapor Shark is having a 10% off everything sale until 12/24 using HOHOHO code. YiHi is insisting that dealers hold on the $190 price for the SX Mini mod so as to not undercut their customers who are custom modders using their SX350 and SX350mini chips. SX350 mods are normally ≥$200.

The temperature protection of the DNA40 chip makes a significant difference for me in getting exactly the type of vape I prefer. Vapor Shark already has the Ni200 heads one needs to use temperature protection in stock now for the Aspire Nautilus and heads for the Aspire Atlantis and Kanger subohm tank are in the works. However, the DNA40 chip works in normal mode with Kanthal or Nichrome coils as well.

The YiHi SX350mini and the Evolv DNA40 chips are top quality but I would definitely recommend the DNA40 for someone who does not build their own heads because the temperature protection offers the vaper more flexibility in choosing the type of vape they prefer using stock coils.

I appreciate your advice as well, and certainly believe that one of the two chips mentioned are probably for me. However, I do not want to spend almost $200 in just the device. What I haven't mentioned a lot yet, which may be important to mention now, is that I am going to probably purchase the Kanger SUBTANK or Aspire Atlantis, a 5-pack of heads for the tank, additional 18650 batteries (2-3), and a new charger, as the one I have only charges one 18650 at a time. So, I will likely have approximately $100 of just supplemental accessories to purchase for whatever new mod I get. That's why my budget is set where it is, because I want to factor in all the other stuff. I do not want to spend so much to just "upgrade" my vape experience from a 7/10 (where it is now) to a 9.5/10 (where it will likely be when I upgrade mod/tank/batteries).

Oh, one more option if you don't mind doing a little bit of work for it - you can always order a fasttech DNA clone, open it up, and replace the chip with an authentic Evolv DNA 30 or 40. That may be your best solution to get the quality you're looking for at a lower price.

I greatly prefer a pre-built device, as I do not care to tinker with chips, etc...

I have been cracking my head what else to suggest, but at the given price point that is rather difficult. Anything around or under 100€ might end up having longevity issues in daily use.
What about the Aspire sub-ohm battery. Since you mentioned the Atlantis, i think it would most likely pair well.
Acceptable price point, quite nice looks (again subjective), built in safety features..... however non-adjustable volt/wattage (like a mech with safety)

Aspire - Aspire CF SUB? Battery

I have looked into this option, even the Aspire CF MOD, which can also fire the Atlantis and SUBTANK. However, I do not want something that I cannot vary the wattage/voltage with. Wattage is important to be controllable, or I might as well settle with a mech. I am still very open to additional advice, and I will say one additional thing... After thorough analysis, if the Vaporshark rDNA was around $80, I'd probably get it in a heartbeat, based on the aesthetics, power and control, and excellent reported customer service. So, I'm definitely open to certain box mods that aren't bulky, ugly, boxey, etc... Thanks again.

novamatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Washington, DC area
Well, it sounds like you have a very specific idea of what you want and what you don't want, and I'm out of ideas. Maybe the best plan would be to wait six months and see how the tech changes, which prices come down, and what new products are released. I don't think anyone makes the device you're looking for.

And to be completely honest with you, I think you're likely to get a better result getting a kayfun clone or a lemo, learning to build it, and putting it on your zmax than you will using the latest and greatest pre-built coils on any device, whether they're sub-ohm or not. Once I built my first kayfun, I was just as done with pre-built clearomizer junk as I was with cigarettes the second I found variable power mods. I've spent around 20 bucks on my coils since March/April, and I've got a good year's (at least) worth of supplies left before I'll have to buy more, with a better vape than anything that comes in a 5 unit blister pack for 20 or 30 bucks. And since I'm not buying those silly coils all the time, I've got more to spend on good juice and a good mod.

But that's my :2c: and your goals are clearly different than mine. Good luck - I genuinely hope you find what you're looking for.

novamatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Washington, DC area
After thorough analysis, if the Vaporshark rDNA was around $80, I'd probably get it in a heartbeat, based on the aesthetics, power and control, and excellent reported customer service.

Just to point this out, what you're saying is that you expect a company (who's in business to make a profit) to purchase a $60 chip, solder it together with $30-40 worth of parts, charge nothing for the labor and expertise it takes to do so correctly, and provide enough staff to give you excellent customer service (without adding any cost to pay their paychecks), then sell it to you for $20 less than the cost of the parts alone. In other words they basically pull out $20 and give it away for every device they sell and have fo find several "employees" who are willing to work for free while performing excellent work at their "jobs." Do you see why we're saying you're asking for the impossible?

I'm sorry that your budget is not enough to buy what you want, but the answer is that your budget is not enough to buy what you want. You have 3 options: you can stick with what you have and enjoy your 7/10 vape, you can give a little on requirements and settle for less power/quality/features/looks etc, or you can spend more money.

I understand it sucks to spend so much money, but you're going to have to compromise somewhere or just stick with what you have. What you want just doesn't exist.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Well, it sounds like you have a very specific idea of what you want and what you don't want, and I'm out of ideas. Maybe the best plan would be to wait six months and see how the tech changes, which prices come down, and what new products are released. I don't think anyone makes the device you're looking for.

That is exactly the issue - this combination of features just recently became available. If you wait it out, they'll get down to your price point eventually.

Randomizeme2

Jan 28, 2009
USA

And to be completely honest with you, I think you're likely to get a better result getting a kayfun clone or a lemo, learning to build it, and putting it on your zmax than you will using the latest and greatest pre-built coils on any device, whether they're sub-ohm or not. Once I built my first kayfun, I was just as done with pre-built clearomizer junk as I was with cigarettes the second I found variable power mods. I've spent around 20 bucks on my coils since March/April, and I've got a good year's (at least) worth of supplies left before I'll have to buy more, with a better vape than anything that comes in a 5 unit blister pack for 20 or 30 bucks. And since I'm not buying those silly coils all the time, I've got more to spend on good juice and a good mod.

But that's my :2c: and your goals are clearly different than mine. Good luck - I genuinely hope you find what you're looking for.

Thank you for the advice. I won't be rebuilding or anything like that because I am not that type of customer. I have always wanted prepared cartridges (in the early days of ecigs) or tanks that I can fill and hold e-liquid in. I used to fill 10-20 cotton cartridge fillers back in the NJOY days to carry 3-5 with me so I can just rapidly exchange the cartridges when I wasn't home. In effect, even though I was using my own e-liquid, rather than purchase pre-filled cartridges, I made my own just so I didn't have to drip on the atomizer and carry e-liquid around.

novamatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Washington, DC area
Thank you for the advice. I won't be rebuilding or anything like that because I am not that type of customer. I have always wanted prepared cartridges (in the early days of ecigs) or tanks that I can fill and hold e-liquid in. I used to fill 10-20 cotton cartridge fillers back in the NJOY days to carry 3-5 with me so I can just rapidly exchange the cartridges when I wasn't home. In effect, even though I was using my own e-liquid, rather than purchase pre-filled cartridges, I made my own just so I didn't have to drip on the atomizer and carry e-liquid around.

The two atties I mentioned (the kayfun clone and the lemo) are both tanks. No need to drip or carry juice around. You wrap a coil once a month (15 minutes) and change the cotton every couple of days (5 minutes or less). Other than that (which is a pretty similar time investment to changing your coils in a clearomizer), you just fill and hold e-liquid in them, just like your tanks. They just taste better and cost less to keep using. Drippers are not the only rebuildables out there.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
Hey, thanks OP for starting this thread. I'm also thinking about a new battery as I'm getting a Lemo for Christmas, and I've picked up a bunch of useful information here (thank you to the other posters here). I'm in the same boat as you, what I would like costs more money than I want to spend.

Plus, I don't know whether getting more gear would improve how much I enjoy vaping, enough to make it worth spending a bunch of money. Maybe it's more a hobby thing than actually needing a better vape.

Randomizeme2

Jan 28, 2009
USA
Hey, thanks OP for starting this thread. I'm also thinking about a new battery as I'm getting a Lemo for Christmas, and I've picked up a bunch of useful information here (thank you to the other posters here). I'm in the same boat as you, what I would like costs more money than I want to spend.

Plus, I don't know whether getting more gear would improve how much I enjoy vaping, enough to make it worth spending a bunch of money. Maybe it's more a hobby thing than actually needing a better vape.

I'm with you, englishmick, as I've not come from smoking and use vaping as a recreation and hookah replacement. Point is, as a hobby, I just want to see what the market has to offer that might be high quality, and economically valuable. I think if we wait it out just a bit, some prices will come down and some new, high quality devices will be released at a more promising price point.

IanDVaypes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2014
Austin, TX

Vaping can be a hobby. People who vape as a hobby tend to spend less on a device because their making their self with quality parts. Some hobby vapors spend more to have a large collection of quality mods and atomizers. I know that I'm a different person than you. I found that when i had an evic running 11 watts to my protanks, i was occasionally going back to cigarettes. Then i got an rdna 30 to run a rusian 91% and never looked back. I don't like to build coils and tinker with stuff, but these rebuildable tanks seem to take less tinkering than the protanks. Ive always had to clear a flooded protank coil or replace it. They're not consistant at all. The rebuildable tanks gave me a nice consistant vape for a whole 30 ml of e liquid until i change the cotton. That's 6 days without tinkering! Six days of being out and about without my tank messing up on me without considering a pack of cigs to get me through the day. Then i was sold on the sx mini. Damn good sales man. I've never regretted the sx mini purchase. Feels great in the hand and it's tiny. Now i want a dna 40 in a zna mod. Im not going to spend over $250 for a mod so i ordered a clone for $80 and a dna 40 chip for $60. I don't want to build it but I'm going to have an attractive, sleek and small device for a cheaper price point. That's the main goal here, too quit the analogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread