Best Idea Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo0m5l4ng

Oct 22, 2014
Tennessee
So I don't know if this has been attempted before, but I have not seen before, and would like to know if an idea will work that just came to me.

Resistance wire does not only come in wire form, you can also get resistance wire in mesh. Now tell me if I am crazy, but what I am thinking of doing is grabbing some Kanthal A1 Mesh(you have to buy in bulk since vaping seems to ignore/don't know about it).

My idea of making it work is using some 26ish gauge non-resist wire weaved into each end of a cotton core rolled kanthal mesh, and using THE MESH itself as the coil. Talk about surface area.

I have no idea how to calculate the resistance and will probably take trial and error to get a feel for it, but let me know if you think it wouldn't work before I buy a bunch a crap that'll result in an inevitable failure.

Also, for resistance wire, my mother makes jewelry, and has spoils and spoils of Nickel-Silver jewelry crafting wire. I assume this would be excellent to use given my limited knowledge of safe metals and metal resistances.

Bo0m5l4ng

Oct 22, 2014
Tennessee
I don't think it will be better, resistance/area will be roughly the same no matter what form it comes in so can't really see any advantages. Having said that you never know and it's a pity you couldn't get some cheap to try it out......Maybe if you tried to con persuade the supplier into sending you a sample?

Well the advantage is the wicking properties of mesh. I would agree with the surface area thing if we are talking about flat wire, but it seems to me that mesh would be more efficient at re-soaking when juice is vaporizing.

It actually is not expensive, but I have to buy 20 bucks worth at once, for a lot of mesh. I think im going to give it a shot, we never really know till we try :)

Edit: Seems like I bought the only available Kanthal mesh on ebay :p I'll update this post after I work out if it was a failure or not :p

Last edited:

Israfil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Las Vegas, NV (in a small cloud)
It exists? yay! Honestly the abyss coil works a treat. (twisted coil combining a strand of kanthal or nichrome with a thin strip of SSmesh) Heavy taste vape, though not as good for clouds as far as my tests have shown. The mesh SHOULD act as a secondary wick as well as being the coil itself. I'll have to see if I can find some to experiment with.

Norrin

Aug 29, 2014
Shetland
It exists? yay! Honestly the abyss coil works a treat. (twisted coil combining a strand of kanthal or nichrome with a thin strip of SSmesh) Heavy taste vape, though not as good for clouds as far as my tests have shown. The mesh SHOULD act as a secondary wick as well as being the coil itself. I'll have to see if I can find some to experiment with.
Can't see that being better than a much easier to build SS mesh coil, but will give it a go when I find the screw or a replacement for my other dripper. Will set an abyss and a SS mesh coil up on the 2 and see if there is any real difference.
You could even try an abyss with no cotton in the right dripper and put the coil in the drip well....worth a try?????

Norrin

Aug 29, 2014
Shetland
Those wanting to experiment, you can find Kanthal mesh used primarily as a high temp mesh for camping for use with alcohol stoves.

Also Found GPlat mesh:
2 Sq ft 12" x 24" 100 Mesh 316L Stainless Steel Screen Pollen Kief Sieve Filter | eBay

That's poor SS mesh, struggling to find kanthal, got this which might be OK as it American I assume they are measuring in inches Unique Wire Weaving Co. - Innovative Manufacturers of Wire Mesh and Filter Cloth
Get more results searching for Kanthal wire cloth.
Kanthal D
But mostly wholesellers with no price.

Bo0m5l4ng

Oct 22, 2014
Tennessee
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread