Moved On
Nov 12, 2009
  • Deleted by Sun Vaporer
  • Reason: spammer

Keef

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2008
Scotland
I am in the UK and off the top of my head Liquid I vape that is also available in the US....

Totally Wicked and Janty .

Also tried PureSmokers liquid from Simon e-cigs and was very happy with it.

Was NOT happy with RoyalSmokers liquid for me it lacked substance, flavour and hit.
I tried 5 different kinds, all the same result and gave up on it.

JamieJ

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
Washington State
That is probably one of the big questions most all of us haveand the reason that many want some form of quality control with eliquid. At this point most people really can't be for sure of everything that is in the bottle that we are vaping. There have been a few studies on samples submitted by retailers and of course the FDA. There have been even some chemical analysis projects done that you can find in this forum. Most people at this point are just trusting the retailers that their descriptions of their eliquid are accurate. The only way to know absolutely for sure is to purchase from who you think would be the best and analyze the liuid or have it analyzed. I actually have been starting to do this and I am always interested in hearing from others who have done this also. Peoplecan tell you if they like flavor or it "gives a good vape" but these are all subjective opinions. If it is facts you are looking for like some of us I excitedly await the responsesOf a complete list of ingrediants as well as nicotine content and the quality control proceedures that you made reference to

the86d

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2009
So. California, USA
How do you know that these are not mixed in a marijane-smoke-filled-trailer near a post office rented by someone just changed a diaper, picked their nose, and mixed our juice without even a second thought to wash their hands prior to mixing your juice?

Many people do not have the same "Hygienic Practices" as others.

This has concerned me, I'll mix my own.

shivadance

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Nebraska, USA
How do you know that these are not mixed in a marijane-smoke-filled-trailer near a post office rented by someone just changed a diaper, picked their nose, and mixed our juice without even a second thought to wash their hands prior to mixing your juice?

I assume this is what gives the best juices their unique flavor.

I suck at DIY so I'll takes me chances.

shivadance

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Nebraska, USA
:D

Honestly, how can you 'trust' any juice you don't make yourself or see being made with your own eyes? None of the juice I've tried from anywhere makes me hallucinate or has made me break out in scabies, so I assume so far I've bought from companies or people that make a quality product to the best of their abilities and are not out to make a quick buck poisioning people. Basically, I have faith in them. Right now I'm using NHaler's juice and Dawn's from ecigsmokeshack. They both seem to care about the vaping community and are vapers themselves so I think I'm in good hands.

MicciMan

ECF Veteran
May 19, 2009
North Carolina
Johnson Creek smoke juice!

They've nailed their business processes down now and each bottle is consistent (and flavor-rich). They appear to be one of the few, if the only, US-based companies who take liquid quality control very seriously. I have zero reservations vaping their juice.

I am not a xenophobe, I have Chinese tires on my truck - but IMHO you're taking a huge risk with any juice or base stock coming from China. That means the glycerin on the shelf at WallyWorld to the juices so many vendors are selling.

Starlight

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2009
UK

Many people do not have the same "Hygienic Practices" as others.

This has concerned me, I'll mix my own.

Many reputable company have had their liquids scientifically tested in a laboratory. For instance:

Totally Wicked Lab Reports:
http://www.e-cigs.co.uk/docs/E249A.pdf

E-Cigs.co.uk:
http://www.e-cigs.co.uk/docs/E249A.pdf

Intellicig's Ecopure:
http://www.intellicig.com/images/pdf/ECOpureReport2009-04-14.pdf

Dekang/Boge/Ecis:
electronic cigarette buyer,buy electronic cigarette,electronic cartridges - Shenzhen Boge Technology Co., Ltd.
Additionally, Dekang claim their liquids are made in professional laboratories as can be seen here:
Changning Dekang Biotechnology Co., Ltd

If anyone's uncertain about or suspicious of a company's liquid, I'd suggest maybe sending them an email asking them to let you see a copy of the lab reports on their liquids? Many sell Dekang liquids anyway.

damitintrblagain

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
Off a Dekang RY4 bottle, carrying the warning "Very toxic by inhalation, in contact with the skin and if swallowed" and bearing a skull and crossbones symbol, the ingredients are:

Propylene glycol (75%) 3-methylcyclopentane-1.2-dione (2.5%) 1-malic acid (3%) 2.3.5.6 tetramethylpyrazine (1.5%) 2.3.5-trimethylpyrazine (0.3%) beta-dainescenaone (?) (0.2%) acetylpyrazine (0.2%) 2-acetylpyradine,ethanol (10%) rhodium (0.3%) vanillin (2.5%) ethyl acetate (0.5%) ethyl maltol (1.0%) 2-methyl-butyric acid (0.5%)

Googling the components I find:

Propylene glycol: Obvious.

3-methylcyclopentane-1.2-dione (aka Cyclotene): Flavour: caramel; maple; smoky; coffee; nutty; bready; liquorice. Safe.

Malic acid: Found in all fruits. Taste: mellow, smooth, persistent sourness. Universal flavour enhancer. Healthy.

2.3.5.6 tetramethylpyrazine: Used in flavour concentrates. Dependant on manufacturer, tastes like: Cocoa, roasted peanuts, Coffee, fermented soybean and/or chocolate and is used to flavour these products. Safety rating: Harmful if swallowed.

2.3.5-trimethylpyrazine: Same as above plus flavour: Caramel, Baked potato and peanut butter. Safety rating: Toxic if swallowed, irritating to respiratory system, eyes, skin. Flammable.

Beta-dainescenaone: That’s what it looked like after I messed juice on the label, but probably beta-damascenone. Flavour: Intensely fruity odour with plum, berry, sugary and rose nuances. Also: woody, floral, herbal, green and fruity, spicy tobacco, apple; herbaceous; nutty; citrus; smoky; wine-like. Safety rating: Irritant. Irritating to respiratory system, eyes, skin.

2-acetylpyradine ethanol: Flavour: Sweet, nutty, tobacco, popcorn. Safety rating: Toxic if swallowed, irritating to respiratory system, eyes, skin.

Rhodium: Flavour: Sweet floral woody. Safety rating: Irritant. Irritating to respiratory system, eyes, skin.

Vanillin: Synthetic vanilla.

Ethyl acetate: Used in flavour concentrates and perfumes. Sweet, fruity, vinegary smell. Found in wines. Also a flammable solvent. Low toxicity.
(This is a solvent!!)

Ethyl maltol: Flavor enhancer used in wine, chocolate, vanilla, fruit flavoured drinks, pastries, candy, tobacco, cosmetics, and medicines. Used because it tends to mask bad tasting chemicals, and heightens richness and creaminess. Safe.

2-methyl-butyric acid: Flavour: apple; apricot; cheese; chocolate; grape; fruity; pineapple; sour; strawberry; woody; wine-like. Safety rating: Corrosive: Harmful to skin and if swallowed.

damitintrblagain

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
What is wrong with you people????????????
Can't you see all the nasty chemicals in Dekang stuff??
Totally Wicked has much the same list as above.

They don't care about us. They just want to make a buck.

New development!!
Totally now sells flavor concentrates. Check it out!

totallywicked-eliquid.com/products/totally-wickeds-dv-premier-range-products

Last edited:

Madame Psychosis

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
East Coast Gypsy
Thanks for looking these up; learned a few new ones to me.

This points up the issue that we'll encounter with virtually any flavoring. (This includes DIY flavors -- anything falling under "natural/artificial flavors" is a proprietary company blend). We are in uncharted territory here in terms of breathing this stuff every day.

On the other hand, I'd much rather breathe a "mere" irritant than a carcinogen. And given that all of these compounds are used extensively in perfumery, they're sniffed all the time.
My lungs have felt more irritated while living in some cities than they have while vaping. Granted, that's quite subjective.

Also, the concentrations of each of these compounds in eliquid is very low.
(For instance, in using Ethyl Maltol (among the safest on your list, and probably one of the most commonly used) you dissolve 1/4 tsp of crystals in 10ml of PGA, then use a couple of drops of that in 10ml of eliquid. In vaping 1-5ml a day, that's a tiny consumption.)

To the OP's question: In terms of quality control and laboratory testing, Starlight's got the list. In terms of "homebrewed" vendors, I know TastyVapor uses hygienic practices, and I am sure that others would gladly describe their precautions if you asked. This is a new industry without anything except self-imposed regulation, so reputation and trust have to fill in where independent oversight doesn't...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread