Best RDA for Mundy's magic ribbon coil builds ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
So recently, decided to have a try at Mundy's magic ribbon. Took me a couple of hours to perfect it, ended up with a usable length of about 12 inches, which I was quite pleased with. Only problem is, I don't really have any toppers with a large enough deck area to suit the extra girth of this wire. Managed to do a scaled down version of two twisted lengths of twisted ribbon and with the use of a crowbar managed to jam it into an iAtty :laugh:

There's no way I could use the full fat triple twisted ribbon in a kayfun. So I've been looking at using a dripper instead. The ony one I have is a cheapo fasttech one that has a microscopic deck area. So really I'm looking for recommendations for a decent rda that will take Mundy's magic ribbon. I don't mind doing a bit of modding to the RDA, like drilling the post holes. I've ordered a couple of Stillare RDA's, cos they look like they have a decent working area, but has anyone else got a favourite dripper they use with this type of build.

I'd appreciate any input from the helpful dripping experts of ECF :D

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
i use the triple mundy's magic in a stillare and a tugboat but I have to feed it through the positive with 3 inches on each side and tighten it down. then make each coil in place to the neg posts. I like dual 3 wrap coils meteres in at .3 - .35 ohms all said and done. Its the only wire I use.

Cheers for the reply, I'm glad to hear that the build area is large enough on the stillare to cope with the size of the coil. Not really used a dripper that much in the past, but since I've found rayon for wicking, my dripper has seen a lot more use :)

Thanks again for the tips, quite looking forward to the stillares arriving now.

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Technically you can use it on a kayfun...

munu3a9u.jpg

e5aqequn.jpg

ade4y5eg.jpg

5e6uneta.jpg

Burping out loud using Tapatalk

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
Technically you can use it on a kayfun...

munu3a9u.jpg

e5aqequn.jpg

ade4y5eg.jpg

5e6uneta.jpg

That really has surprised me, I honestly didn't think it would fit in a Kayfun - well done, it's not very often I'm surprised :laugh:

Did you manage to trap the legs under the screws, or just sort of mould the legs around the screw threads, or a combination of both ??

Thanks for the pics too. It's always good to be able to see build action pics :D

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
That really has surprised me, I honestly didn't think it would fit in a Kayfun - well done, it's not very often I'm surprised :laugh:

Did you manage to trap the legs under the screws, or just sort of mould the legs around the screw threads, or a combination of both ??

Thanks for the pics too. It's always good to be able to see build action pics :D

Mm. I guess the most important thing is that the screws are flat at the under side. Almost all clones have screws which are kinda rounded on the underside so it's impossible to capture the leads. I replaced all my clones with proper ones and they worked a lot better. (I have a blog post on where to get the various spare parts and the screws is one of em)

Then I wrap the leads halfway around the screws just like how I normally would, except at this point you wouldn't be able to capture the leads cos it's so round and fat. So now that I know where I'll be capturing the wires, I use a flat head plier to squish down on that segment of the leads to make it flat. After that just secure it down using the screws and it's done :)

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
Mm. I guess the most important thing is that the screws are flat at the under side. Almost all clones have screws which are kinda rounded on the underside so it's impossible to capture the leads. I replaced all my clones with proper ones and they worked a lot better. (I have a blog post on where to get the various spare parts and the screws is one of em)

Then I wrap the leads halfway around the screws just like how I normally would, except at this point you wouldn't be able to capture the leads cos it's so round and fat. So now that I know where I'll be capturing the wires, I use a flat head plier to squish down on that segment of the leads to make it flat. After that just secure it down using the screws and it's done :)

Cheers for that. To be honest, it does sound similar to what I went through trying to coil the iAtty :laugh:

I've swapped out quite a few screws already on my Kayfun clones, as well as drilling them out as much as possible.

Just been having a look at your blog posts too. The diamond coil in the Kayfun looks interesting too - so that's another one I'll be trying at some point.

Thanks again for the replies, much appreciated :D

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
I've fit mm into my kayfun easily enough, I haven't found an atty that it won't fit into as long as the post holes are made big enough for it. here's mm in a chalice which is the hardest atty I've ever done the mundy's magic in :)

20140615_023830_zpsece09558.jpg

20140615_024725_zpsa9ccb7cf.jpg

That does look pretty compact in the Chalice. I've just got the Rm2 myself, but I have head the posts need drilling out in the RM2 to fit MM, did you have to drill the posts on the Chalice ??

Thanks for the pics too, always easy when you can see the finished product :D

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
mm fits the stock rm2 holes, it's a snug fit but as long as your wire is wrapped as tight as it should be you can get it in there without drilling the posts, and yeah the chalice def needed the posts drilled, stock holes barely fit 28ga :) I opened the chalice holes up to around the size of the stock rm2 holes so they should be fine really as-is for you

trouble1000

PV Master of Valinor
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Rochdale, Lancs, GB
www.puffin-eliquid.com
mm fits the stock rm2 holes, it's a snug fit but as long as your wire is wrapped as tight as it should be you can get it in there without drilling the posts, and yeah the chalice def needed the posts drilled, stock holes barely fit 28ga :) I opened the chalice holes up to around the size of the stock rm2 holes so they should be fine really as-is for you

Cheers mate. Even though I know I could do it, I'd be a bit reluctant to drill the RM2, so glad to hear it fits ok. Don't mind drilling every hole going on a cheap $15 clone, but if I messed up the RM2 my Reo would be very lonely :laugh: My genuine toppers (RM2, Kayfun lite and Taifun GT) are all untouched by the drillbit so far.

Thanks again for the tips :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread