The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Best Vanilla Flavoring?

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Rin13, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Rin13

Rin13 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Ohio
    What's your guys' favorite vanilla flavoring? So far I have tried several and not too fond of any of them.

I've tried:
    TPA Vanillan Crystal 10%
    Vanilla Bourbon
    Marshmallow
    Cotton Candy

(I know the last two aren't vanilla... but they're similar IMO)

I'm looking for a straight up vanilla flavor... like a vanilla bean. (not ice cream.. not too buttery like I imagine French Vanilla would be. no custard notes either)

2. dezyner

dezyner Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    United States
    That's like the diy holy grail. I asked it many months ago, no "one" answer. I found that after trying a bunch, about 12 so far, the best I could do was to blend several together to get a better "vanilla". I am just guessing from your "ice cream and butter" aversion your avoiding diacetyl, which is smart, but most of the flavor venders that manufacture have taken steps to remove that chemical from their lines that they "know" vapers use or that contain them. better safe than sorry always tho. Also, something like a slight white chocolate or a slight coffee/cappuccino will deepen the vanilla taste. trick is to find a balance according to your own tastes how much that is. Here's a blend you might like I use pretty often; Flavor West Madagascar Vanilla at 12%, Flavour Art Tahitian Vanilla at 2%, TPA Bourbon Vanilla at 5% and 1-2% TPA Cappuccino or white chocolate. If you find a great vanilla, don't forget to let the rest of us know. cheers.

3. Rin13

Dec 9, 2011
    Ohio
    I've only tried 2 Flavor West flavorings so far... I want to try Capella, as I've heard so many good things... but everywhere I've found it, it's kind of expensive.

4. Sandiej02

Sandiej02 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 11, 2010
    California Coast
    :2c:

It's hard to say ... because everyone's tastes are different.

For me, I like DIYFlavorShack's Holy Vanilla, and TFA Vanilla Swirl the most. :)

5. crownedsparrow

crownedsparrow Full Member Verified Member

Dec 11, 2012
    dallas
    I have several on order and interested in this question as well, I will let you know my thoughts when I get em.

6. Rin13

Dec 9, 2011
    Ohio
    Okie dokie. I ordered a couple more flavorings myself. sh* is addictive.
    TPA- Bavarian Cream, Lemon, Black Honey, Acetyl Pyrazine,

7. mourningshadow

mourningshadow Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    I have been looking for the perfect vanilla as well. My wife's favorite juice is a vanilla tobacco that our local shop sells but it is pricey and I want to be able to make it myself. Have no idea how though, it is a very rich vanilla, not light and sweet like most I have found. It also produces a very powerful odor which is actually very nice. I have to find what kind of tobacco it is as well. I can't ask the local shop because they don't know, they get it from someone in Kentucky.

I have some Madagascar vanilla coming tomorrow and hoping that is closer. I am also thinking of maybe trying captain black, her juice has a strong pipe tobacco base I think.

8. RobertNC

RobertNC Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 25, 2012
    Athens
    I just use Ethyl Vanillin crystal and make up a solution in PG/VG. I like TFA Bavarian Creme OK, it is not much different than Ethyl Vanillin and Ethyl maltol to me though.

I am into adding cremes to tobacco mixes to try to reduce the dryness and add a little body. I know these are not vanillas but:

TFA Bavarian Creme - definite vanilla and sweetness.

TFA Sweet Creme - sweet and slightly less vanilla note than Bavarian Creme. Very good but can become peppery or "hot" if you add too much.

FlavourArt Fresh Creme - very good creme flavor, a mild vanilla note. Can also get a little hot at higher levels but not as much as Sweet Creme.

But if I just want vanilla, Ethyl Vanillin seems to be fine.

9. Rin13

Dec 9, 2011
    Ohio
    I don't even think we have any local places where I live. Vanilla tobacco sounds nice. I have the Captain Black and it's nice. It sounds similar to the stuff your wife likes. It's a light vanilla-ish tobacco flavor. It's said to be used as a tobacco additive, but honestly, I like it by itself too. (10%)
    Let me know how the Mad. Vanilla is.

10. Rin13

Dec 9, 2011
    Ohio
    The first one sounds like the Vanillan I have. I just didn't do it myself.
    I'm still really new so it's probably something I'm doing or not doing that's messing things up. When I try to make complex recipes, they come out horrid.
    I ordered the Bavarian cream yesterday... so it sounds like I'll like it from what ya'll are describing. I think eventually I will try the Vanilla swirl too, as many people seem to like it.

11. mourningshadow

mourningshadow Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    Well I got the Madagascar Vanilla, have not tried it in a mix yet but it smells exactly like the vanilla extract you can get at the store. I also got TPA Vanillan crystals in PG and Vanilla Bourbon. None of them really smell like her juice, it has a very powerful smell, does not smell like any tobacco flavor I have. I did make a mix with FA Dark Vapour, French Vanilla and Vanillan and hoping she likes it after it steeps a bit. Does not smell anything like hers though.

12. Sandiej02

Nov 11, 2010
    California Coast
    :2c:

If you're looking for a simple "good Vanilla vape", here's one recipe you can try.
    (You can always adjust it to your taste). :)

14% Holy Vanilla
    3% Vanillin
    2% Cotton Candy
    1% Marshmallow

13. Rin13

Dec 9, 2011
    Ohio
    Well, the smell after it's mixed and after it's steeped are very different. Esp. with tobaccos. I hope something works for you. I've tried bourbon a couple times and always hate it... but I did not let it air out, which helps with the alcohol smell/taste... So that's something to try in the future. (for me)

14. Rin13

Dec 9, 2011
    Ohio
    Cool. I have all of those flavors except the main one, the Holy Vanilla. So far, the only places I have bought flavorings from are TPA and Wizard Labs. (mostly TPA flavors) Tried a couple Seedman's and Flavor West flavors from WL... but no other brands.
    Any flavor suppliers that you'd recommend?

15. Sandiej02

Nov 11, 2010
    California Coast
    I get the Holy Vanilla at diyflavorshack. It's probably the most "authentic" vanilla taste "I've" found. Very dark - almost like a vanilla extract, genuine taste. :)

I also use also of Capella's (highdesertvapes has them in smaller sizes, so you can try them, see what you like).

Hope that helps. :)

16. Rin13

Dec 9, 2011
    Ohio
    I really want to try Capella's. I've heard awesome things about it. Was it you that said their peanut butter was amazing?

17. mmudder

mmudder Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    Tennessee
    I second that - DIY Flavorshack's Holy Vanilla is pretty good, spot on for a rich vanilla flavor. Every other vanilla flavor I've tried is too weak or alcoholy (not a real word).

18. BrokenLung

BrokenLung Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    TN
    Rin13, high desert vapes actually has a decent deal on capellas if you go with the 10ml size. I think they have a 10% off code too. I am about to order stuff myself. I am also on the never ending search for a good vanilla. Ms. T's bakery vanilla custard is pretty good and I would like to replicate it. Seems like a LOT of people like Capella's Vanilla Custard (I really haven't heard many people say that anything capella makes is bad).

19. klynnn

klynnn Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2012
    prattville
    Check the deals and steals thread there are coupon codes for HDV this month.

20. Sandiej02

Nov 11, 2010
    California Coast
    Yes ... Capella's Peanut Butter is the only one I really like. It's my favorite. :)

(Also Capella's Marshmallow and NY Cheesecake).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.