Best way to refurb a less than loved Reo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copernicus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2014
Canton, GA
Howdy there Reoville....I've got a quick question for all y'all more experienced in the ways of the Reo. I recently traded for a Reo Grand (my second). It's was described as a hammertone with a blue door. I requested some photos, received them and proceeded with the trade. When the package arrived I was giddy to give it a whirl but when I opened the box and inspected it I was less than pleased. The hammertone is missing off all the lower corners, the button was stuck, I could hardly get the door off due to the buildup of juice gunk in the door groove. I have ordered a rebuild kit from Rob to take care of the internals (they were a mess) but I'm determined to make this my "project" Reo. I need some suggestions on the best way to restore or repaint this Grand old lady. I already milled it down to an LP so that's done. my only other Reo is an immaculate TRA grand so I'd like this one to have a bit of color to it. What's the best way to strip, repaint or beautify this unloved little lass? Suggestions would be appreciated and some photos of revamped Reos would be a bonus for inspiration

JetMac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Valdosta, GA, USA
Maybe you could just send it to the spa and explain to Rob what you want done to it. I'm sure your gonna spend a little money on all the supplies needed to work on your project, but I'd say use that money and have it done by the grand master himself. You could PM him here on the forum or just call his number and get a quote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
You can remove the paint yourself but you don't know what you'll find underneath but that won't matter if you plan on repainting it yourself. Some of the Grands are a perfect TRA under the paint and others are unfinished aluminum. I stripped a silver vein that was very dark and it had an awesome TRA finish underneath, then I stripped a purple mini and it was unfinished underneath. I haven't repainted one yet, I'm not very good with a spray can. I'd love to one day have a custom paint job done.

This is what I used to do the stripping and it worked great.

http://www.menards.com/main/paint/c...e-2-minute-paint-remover/p-2201650-c-8157.htm

You should also check out the sticky titled *FREE!* REO Forum THREAD INDEX there's a section in there somewhere that pertains to personalizing Reo's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread