Best wire for TC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hectus

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
europe
Hi

Been considering for a while wrapping my own coil for Temp control. I really dont know much about TC and it seems like theres at least stainless 316 and titanium to chose from.

I wonder whats considered best, most commonly supported on mods, considering flavour, longivity etc?

Seems most tc coils are low ohms, below 0.5 usually, is there a reason why thats more common, or could i for example go 0.5 and upwards? and if so, is there wire aviable for higher ohms?

Thanks for help and suggestions

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
the lower resistance is usually for cloud chasing....it really just depends on what you want, what you like?
I tried my friends once which was i think .8 i about hacked my lungs up :p i usually stick around 2ohm lately been more around 1.5ohm
but that was also the watts i forget what he had it set to, like 30w or something and me i'm a tootle puffer at my 8 to 9 watts if i'm feeling frisky maybe 10 :lol:
as far as materials go, couldn't tell you i'm a bit behind times...kanthal was all i ever heard anyone saying i needed to use but i'm lazy and buy cheap from ft so i'm stuck with nichrome

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Tc capable wire generally has lower resistance. Don't mind that too much. Just wrap a coil with the wire gauge, coil I'd, and wrap number as you're used to and it should vape comparable to a higher resistance kanthal coil. For example, a 28 ga 3 mm id 8 wrap ss316l coil will have about half the resistance of a similar kanthal coil, but the heat flux and coil mass is almost identical so they'll vape the same at the same power. Check steam-engine.org to check coil builds suitable for you, and forget about resistance and base your builds on the ideal heat flux and coil mass for your desired power instead.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
Some coil materials like SS's work better with more coil mass, like a clapton or dual coils, or just adding more wraps. Just something I've noticed, SS has a low tcr so maybe that has something to do with it.

316L is probably going to be your best bet but Idk anything about what you are using, I use 430 but If the freinds I've reccommend it to are to be believed it doesn't work well on an SS setting and inconsistent in tcr. I've only ever used mods with TFR curve, never TCR so Idk.

I can tell you though even on a dna board if you're running 316L without enough coil mass (single instead of duals, round wire instead of clapton) it will be inconsistent and even pop itself out of TC every now and then once the coil gets some use. 430 is much more reliable for a simple round wire single coil but 316L ive moved away from bc of its inconsistencies.

If you have the mod for it I'd reccommend NiFe52 instead of SS. it's going to work way better in TC.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: m1ke

Hectus

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
europe
Thanks for your answers.

My mods seems to go down to 100c as "coldest" vape, i like a cold vape, would that have anything to do with the resistance on the wire when building for TC, or doesnt it matter if its 0.1 or 0.7 etc?

I assume its not possible to twist for example ss 316 and kanthal and get tc, or is that also a possibility?

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
Thanks for your answers.

My mods seems to go down to 100c as "coldest" vape, i like a cold vape, would that have anything to do with the resistance on the wire when building for TC, or doesnt it matter if its 0.1 or 0.7 etc?

I assume its not possible to twist for example ss 316 and kanthal and get tc, or is that also a possibility?
Something like that would work better on a mod where you can download a customized TFR map from steam engine. Also, using kanthal is going to bring the tcr way down so you need to have enough of the other material to bring it up.

In short, no that's not going to work well. At least not with ss, now if you used something with a higher tcr like NiFe52 its probably be fine. Just out of curiosity why do you want to use kanthal in a TC coil?

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com
would that have anything to do with the resistance on the wire when building for TC, or doesnt it matter if its 0.1 or 0.7 etc?

about this part, TC works by guaging the resistance value of a wire while putting power to it, wires that have a high variability of resistance are going to work better, Ti NiFe52 Ni200 etc work flawlessly xno matter what you do, wires like SS require you to be more careful with your build and more coil material to work right.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Hi

Been considering for a while wrapping my own coil for Temp control. I really dont know much about TC and it seems like theres at least stainless 316 and titanium to chose from.

I wonder whats considered best, most commonly supported on mods, considering flavour, longivity etc?

Seems most tc coils are low ohms, below 0.5 usually, is there a reason why thats more common, or could i for example go 0.5 and upwards? and if so, is there wire aviable for higher ohms?

Thanks for help and suggestions
I've been vaping exclusively in TC mode with stainless wire for may be 14 months. In the early months my builds would misbehave. When that happens i can switch to watts mode until the issue is resolve. it's helped me to have a mod that gives me real time feedback about max watts and max temp after each puff. Then it's nice to have some extra lines of information displayed. For all that I use an evic mini with arctic fox firmware. That extra feedback got me more experimental with builds because i can figure out what working or not working faster. Wire is cheap. If you like to tinker then try the different wires. My current set up is below.

Hectus

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
europe
Thanks again for ur answers.

I dont have a desire to put kanthal in a tc coil really, was just wondering if it was possible to get higher ohms f.example.

I see that i have a lot to learn about tc, so i figure its best to just jump in it and try.

seems like the NiFe52 wire is a good way to start for me then since its simular to kanthal, does it also behave simular to kanthal when wrapped? i have read ss is hard(er) to wrap.

does most mods have a setting supporting the NiFe52 wire? is that nichrome also? or rather, what setting would that be using on my mod?

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Some coil materials like SS's work better with more coil mass, like a clapton or dual coils, or just adding more wraps. Just something I've noticed, SS has a low tcr so maybe that has something to do with it.

316L is probably going to be your best bet but Idk anything about what you are using, I use 430 but If the freinds I've reccommend it to are to be believed it doesn't work well on an SS setting and inconsistent in tcr. I've only ever used mods with TFR curve, never TCR so Idk.

I can tell you though even on a dna board if you're running 316L without enough coil mass (single instead of duals, round wire instead of clapton) it will be inconsistent and even pop itself out of TC every now and then once the coil gets some use. 430 is much more reliable for a simple round wire single coil but 316L ive moved away from bc of its inconsistencies.

If you have the mod for it I'd reccommend NiFe52 instead of SS. it's going to work way better in TC.
Are you sure it's not a higher resistance that matters? That would make more sense. Higher resistance = more increase in resistance when heated = higher tc accuracy. Higher mass itself would mean slower heat up and resistance increase, resulting in lower accuracy. Some mods will kick you out of tc if they don't register sufficient resistance increase fast enough.

Reactions: ShamrockPat

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
about this part, TC works by guaging the resistance value of a wire while putting power to it, wires that have a high variability of resistance are going to work better, Ti NiFe52 Ni200 etc work flawlessly xno matter what you do, wires like SS require you to be more careful with your build and more coil material to work right.
Ss316 has higher tc accuracy than ni200. Ni200 has such low resistance that being of even a tiny amount in resistance will have a huge impact. Ss has lower tcr than ni200 but higher resistance, meaning that even if the resistance increase is relatively lower it's higher in actuality. E.g. an increase from .08 to .14 vs .5 to .65. A .01 difference in the first case is massive but less of a problem in the latter case.

kiba

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Alexandria, Va, USA
www.facebook.com

I dont have a desire to put kanthal in a tc coil really, was just wondering if it was possible to get higher ohms f.example.

I see that i have a lot to learn about tc, so i figure its best to just jump in it and try.

seems like the NiFe52 wire is a good way to start for me then since its simular to kanthal, does it also behave simular to kanthal when wrapped? i have read ss is hard(er) to wrap.

does most mods have a setting supporting the NiFe52 wire? is that nichrome also? or rather, what setting would that be using on my mod?

You're going to have to either download a map or input the tcr .004032 for nifethal or really any of these materials, SS 316L may be the exception if you can use the regular SS mode. NiFe52 works/behaves/tastes like kanthal in pretty much every way, if you wanted you could use it in place of kanthal in any set up and dry burn it too.
Are you sure it's not a higher resistance that matters? That would make more sense. Higher resistance = more increase in resistance when heated = higher tc accuracy. Higher mass itself would mean slower heat up and resistance increase, resulting in lower accuracy. Some mods will kick you out of tc if they don't register sufficient resistance increase fast enough.

What you're thinking in theory makes sense, I thought that too, but then it wouldn't make sense that every time, a low resistance, higher mass coil (like a fused clapton), or just dual regular coils at half the resistance perform much better and more accurate than a single round coil with a higher resistance... Basically if you want to use SS in single coil, you save yourself the headaches with 430

Ss316 has higher tc accuracy than ni200. Ni200 has such low resistance that being of even a tiny amount in resistance will have a huge impact. Ss has lower tcr than ni200 but higher resistance, meaning that even if the resistance increase is relatively lower it's higher in actuality. E.g. an increase from .08 to .14 vs .5 to .65. A .01 difference in the first case is massive but less of a problem in the latter case.

The materials I've used with a higher tcr have worked pretty much flawlessly in no matter what I put them in while the lower tcr SS's are very picky on the positive contact and build.

Last edited:

Hectus

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
europe

I guess what i will do is get some of each of the most popular wires and give it a try and see what i like best.

Could u give me some good starting points on what to buy, like for example ni200 28 ga, Ss316 this and that ga , NiFe52 this ga, etc etc. Not much point in getting a bunch of diffrent ga's when dealing with tc it seems like.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts

I guess what i will do is get some of each of the most popular wires and give it a try and see what i like best.

Could u give me some good starting points on what to buy, like for example ni200 28 ga, Ss316 this and that ga , NiFe52 this ga, etc etc. Not much point in getting a bunch of diffrent ga's when dealing with tc it seems like.

Personally, I'd try SS 430 and NiFe52, some SS 316(L) if you really want it.
Past those, there's not much to see.
Make sure the wire comes from a reputable vendor.
TEMco- TEMCo Industrial TEMCo Industrial
Unkamen- Creating Unkamen
Zivipf- Resistance heating wire - Zivipf Onlineshop

I use Zivipf myself as they have never sent me any incorrect wire. All others have, even if they made it right in some way later.

nclay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2014
California
tbh I'd just do NiFe52, I usually reccommend that to my friends who are committed to kanthal, it even tastes like kanthal and can be used in both TC and power mode like SS.
Ill second this one. I had an opportunity to try out dicodes NiFe wire and it really was the best TC vape I've ever had, instantly ordered a spool of the stuff. Ive only ever tried nickel and Ti before that, i felt both gave muted flavor.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I have used a few of the TC compatible wires and was first building with Kanthal but once I started using SS316L and TC Mode I haven't used anything else. The best part of TC builds is controlling the temperature and depending on the build I run anywhere from 360°F to over 500°F. Always achieving the smooth cool vape I pursue.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Your probably not going to need any nickel, just get some NiFe52 and 316L of whatever guage you normally use
What is this NiFe52? Some kind of nickel-iron alloy, I presume...does it have a "street name"? is it the same as "nifethal"? How do I ask for it at the vape shop? Spell it out N-I-F-E fifty-two? Or does it sound like "knife," or "knifey"? Sorry for so many questions. I've been building Kanthal coils for a while now, but have only just recently gotten into anything else and so far that is only SS. This is the first I've heard of this one. I've been using 316L lately in wattage mode, and I have a new mod coming soon (AL85) that will do TC-SS and I think also custom TCR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread