Titanium

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
I'm interested in getting some titanium wire. I want to use it for temperature control I have been building for a couple months, I'll be using a regulated mod with TC. Currently I've only used stainless steel for temperature control and then I've also built with Kanthal for wattage mode only

If anyone has a recommendation on what titanium wire would be a good starting point for someone with my basic level of building I would really appreciate it.

I tend to use single coils and fairly low wattage below 50 usually I don't like super low builds I don't want to go below like .2. I'm currently using primarily 26 gauge wire and I'm having no problems with that. I would like to be able to get a little bit higher ohms I prefer somewhere around the vicinity of .3 to .8

Is there anything that I need to be really cautious about with titanium I know that it can't get too too hot or there can be some problems. While experimenting with stainless steel in temperature control I usually find that I prefer around 225 to 275 Fahrenheit but obviously we'll go a little bit higher if whatever I've built requires.

When it comes to Titanium do you pulse it like you would stainless steel or is there another method

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I wouldn’t focus so much on a goal resistance as long as the coil falls within your mods limitations. Understand that titanium is lower in resistance than stainless steel of the same gauge and length. It is also lower in mass which will result in lower required power to heat it to the same temperature within the same duration.

Example: 26 awg SS316L, 5 wraps 3mm ID = a coil that would be roughly 0.39 ohms and 67 mg of mass according to Steam Engine. Same dimensions with titanium would yield a 0.24 ohms coil and 37 mg of mass. If you were to apply 30 watts to that SS316L coil, it would only take roughly 18 watts for the titanium coil to heat to the same temperature within the same duration.

Titanium requires the coil to be spaced to mitigate hot spots. You also do not pulse titanium like you would SS or Kanthal. Titanium should never reach glowing temperatures which means alternative methods to clean are needed. Soak the coil in alcohol or just disregard it.

Only Ti wire I’ve used was Vapowire which is claimed to be 99% pure Ti and made in the US.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
I wouldn’t focus so much on a goal resistance as long as the coil falls within your mods limitations. Understand that titanium is lower in resistance than stainless steel of the same gauge and length. It is also lower in mass which will result in lower required power to heat it to the same temperature within the same duration.

Example: 26 awg SS316L, 5 wraps 3mm ID = a coil that would be roughly 0.39 ohms and 67 mg of mass according to Steam Engine. Same dimensions with titanium would yield a 0.24 ohms coil and 37 mg of mass. If you were to apply 30 watts to that SS316L coil, it would only take roughly 18 watts for the titanium coil to heat to the same temperature within the same duration.

Titanium requires the coil to be spaced to mitigate hot spots. You also do not pulse titanium like you would SS or Kanthal. Titanium should never reach glowing temperatures which means alternative methods to clean are needed. Soak the coil in alcohol or just disregard it.

Only Ti wire I’ve used was Vapowire which is claimed to be 99% pure Ti and made in the US.
Thanks! So I feel pretty good with getting some 28-gauge round titanium wire not so thin that I can't work with it and I won't need to make a Slinky in order to get a nice Vape. Since you've never used anything but the one brand I don't think you'll know this question but what do you do to get any residual oils off of it before you start using it before building I don't like taking anything from anywhere and vaping it without cleaning it somewhat first especially anything that's used in any sort of industrial capacity

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Thanks! So I feel pretty good with getting some 28-gauge round titanium wire not so thin that I can't work with it and I won't need to make a Slinky in order to get a nice Vape. Since you've never used anything but the one brand I don't think you'll know this question but what do you do to get any residual oils off of it before you start using it before building I don't like taking anything from anywhere and vaping it without cleaning it somewhat first especially anything that's used in any sort of industrial capacity

Residual oils may be present with all wire due to the manufacturing process. Wind the coil, dunk in alcohol and make a cocktail while you’re at at. ;)

Personally, if you are used to 26 awg SS, I would stick with that gauge or go to 24 awg Ti.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I use Unkamen Ti and Zivipf Ti both are awesome online retailers with fast inexpensive shipping.

The Unkamen will need to be cleaned before use, drag it through some paper towel wet with Isopropyl alcohol until the black marks stop appearing. The Zivipf stuff is clean.

I have used 28, 26, and 24ga in the past, but stick to SS430 (Unkamen has that in 28ga) or SS316L (AVS) these days. It just to easy to dry burn and rewick with stainless and you can't do that with Ti. You can glow a Ti coil a very, very dull cherry red then brush and quench it. A bright orange glow will cause the formation of TiO2 (Titanium Dioxide) white powder on coil which is not good.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
It's really up to you, but I would try 24 ga SS instead (maybe even a spaced coil) Other's here have way more experience than me but maybe someone else will comment on this. Have you tried Ni80? What about claptons? Maybe I just have Titanium phobia?

You just have titanium phobia – which is fine, we have choices and that can not be debated. Ti Dioxide does not begin to form until 1200°F – well above what we vape at.

Ti works really well with TC. Lower mass for the same dimensions means less power is needed. And it’s high TCR value gives it a larger resistance window to work with. Titanium wire is also >98% pure, which makes for an excellent choice for those with nickel allergies.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I'm interested in getting some titanium wire. I want to use it for temperature control I have been building for a couple months, I'll be using a regulated mod with TC. Currently I've only used stainless steel for temperature control and then I've also built with Kanthal for wattage mode only
it
If anyone has a recommendation on what titanium wire would be a good starting point for someone with my basic level of building I would really appreciate it.

I tend to use single coils and fairly low wattage below 50 usually I don't like super low builds I don't want to go below like .2. I'm currently using primarily 26 gauge wire and I'm having no problems with that. I would like to be able to get a little bit higher ohms I prefer somewhere around the vicinity of .3 to .8

Is there anything that I need to be really cautious about with titanium I know that it can't get too too hot or there can be some problems. While experimenting with stainless steel in temperature control I usually find that I prefer around 225 to 275 Fahrenheit but obviously we'll go a little bit higher if whatever I've built requires.

When it comes to Titanium do you pulse it like you would stainless steel or is there another method

I love titanium coils and use these from Fasttech.
$3.69 Authentic MKWS Titanium Resistance Pre-Coiled Wire for RBA Atomizers (50-Pack) 50-pack - 26 AWG / 0.4mm dia. / 0.32ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I also get the 24 awg. The link shows for 50 coils but they also sell in packs of 10 if you just want to try them first. They are clean and very easy to work with. I usually install one side then pull gently with my tweezers to install the other side--this helps to separate the coils for spaced. Some of my mods need this others don't. Never dry burn these. I have not had any problems at all using these coils and they easily last over a month if not longer--depending on ejuice used. Then I usually just replace them since they are so inexpensive. To me I get the best taste from these for my ejuices( I diy). SS is ok but only once in a while for me.

Let me know if you have questions.. i will be happy to help if i can.

ps Also meant to say that the ohms that are listed have been dead on accurate for every coil I have used to date from this company.
:)

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    It's really up to you, but I would try 24 ga SS instead (maybe even a spaced coil) Other's here have way more experience than me but maybe someone else will comment on this. Have you tried Ni80? What about claptons? Maybe I just have Titanium phobia?

24ga SS316l for the type of watts the OP uses would ramp up very slowly, and cool down very slowly. 26ga ss316l is a much better bet for 20-30 watts preheat. in TC. And generally in TC, we use spaced coils

Ni80 is awesome wire in wattage mode, but unlike Titanium, Ni200 and SS316l you can't use it in TC mode.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    I like to keep my coils on the small end because the rba's that I use tend to be 22 mm and below. And many of them don't really have a block that stops the wire you actually have to wrap the wire around the coil and pinch it down and that's all that's holding it in there LOL so a larger wire doesn't do anything for me then because of the way that I Vape though I also do have some 24 gauge wire in my cart and some Clapton because I like to switch it up

but right now I'm focusing on something that's going to be a smaller coil that I can use at lower wattage that doesn't need a lot of power that cools down quickly and ramps up quickly. oh and I don't like it getting down there in the .1 range I'm still a bit paranoid about that. It's kind of what brought about the interest in titanium also when I do play with temperature control I typically do it at about 225 to 250 Fahrenheit because I do not like a hot Vape at all and when you're doing it at that really low temp at least for vaping you definitely don't want a thicker wire it just makes everything harder for me.

Last edited:

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I'm actually probably going to switch my 26 gauge stainless steel to 28 because I just like smaller length coils and while I've relaxed quite a bit about what Ohms my coil has I still like to stay away from that super sub ohm area

28ga ss316l is my favourite for TC mode. Heats fast and cools quickly, which is perfect for my chain vaping style.

Though I'm going to look at ss430 and titanium after reading this thread :D

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    Also as far as that titanium phobia don't feel bad I have a bit of a nickel phobia LOL I was choosing between doing ni200 and titanium and oddly enough I feel much better about the titanium for now I'll probably end up getting into ni80 in fact I'll probably buy a little bit of wire I have a few bucks on FastTech to play around with right now. I can get some cheap wire just for funsies.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    28ga ss316l is my favourite for TC mode. Heats fast and cools quickly, which is perfect for my chain vaping style.

Though I'm going to look at ss430 and titanium after reading this thread :D
    I do like the reliability of stainless steel it's nice that it can just be used you don't have to worry about how you're using it. And so far it's been my favorite out of the two metals that I've used. I guess I'm just under the impression that you get better temperature control from titanium I don't know if I'm completely off base on that (prolly) but I know a lot of people that swear by it and I like to try new stuff. Also I would love to hear how it goes with the other stainless

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    I've gotten some really great information tonight thank you guys so much. I do like to run through things and make sure that I have gotten the major points so if you want to check my correctness on what I gathered and why I have interest in titanium that would be really cool.

I want something that ramps up quickly and cools down quickly. I want something that I can use temperature control with accurately so I can really experience true temperature control. I'd like to get a little bit longer use out of my coils however I'm not really hung up on that I mean it's just wire. I do not like hot Vapes I would actually prefer it to be almost cold.

With titanium I will be cleaning my wire with alcohol I will not be dry burning and I will be building it as a spaced coil. I don't need to worry about the temperature as long as my mod is using temperature control because in order to make dangerous inhalation powders I would have to get into ridiculously high temperatures.

And this last part I think I'm correct with the wattage that my mod will be using in temperature control is going to be a bit higher than the same build with stainless steel and that's because it's lower resistance wire?

Also if I were having a problem with dry hits which thankfully I haven't been at titanium would be a really good move because it's much harder to get a dry hit if not impossible so long as my mod is accurate

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    That Vapowire is actually a TEMCO product. Years ago it was created/marketed for vapers. ;)

Suspected it was from Temco – but never really looked into it. Thanks

@AvaOrchid - It is difficult to say whether Titanium will perform better than SS in temp control. Objectively, it has a higher TCR value which means a higher rise in resistance giving the device a larger window to work with. But if your device has the resolution to read minute changes in resistance, then SS should work equally as well. It will boil down to how well your device handles each metal separately. And of course, there’s the human element of getting your inputted values correct and building a coil that is suitable to your needs. Many variables involved.

As for the phobia of ultra low resistance, this should not be of a concern with regulated devices. With a regulated device, the coil is separated from the battery. The battery never sees the coil resistance, it only sees the power in which the regulated circuit is requesting. If the device feels the resistance falls outside it’s operation window, it will not fire. Even if the circuit experienced a fault or failure of some sort, the probability of coil being connected to battery and allowed to fire in near impossible.

With a regulated device, you are in control of the power output. 50 watts into a 1 ohm coil is still 50 watts into a 0.1 ohm coil. How that coil performs with the 50 watts is down to its metal’s properties - its resistance is just an arbitrary number.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread