betelgeuse burning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzzo

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2013
USA
Hey guys, so I really really love the taste of this juice, but it seems to gunk up all my tanks. Protank coils are going in about a day of vaping, and the juice turns really dark and thick in a iCLear 30 after a day or two.

I've tried vaping it at only 3 volts and 5 watts and it continues to gunk these up. I'd really like to use this in my protank but I can't keep buying new coils everyday.

Any suggestions or tips?

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
www.nicoticket.com
Hey Enzzo!

The most likely culprit in any liquid when it comes to "gunking up coils" is sweetener. Sweetener typically burns less clean than other components of the liquid like flavoring and base (IE, PG and VG). That said, it's odd that Betelgeuse is the one you are having difficulty with because, comparatively speaking, Betelgeuse uses very little artificial sweetener. Some build-up is normal. One possible suggestion is to do a nice 'dry burn' after every tank, or soak the heads in Pure Grain Alcohol (PGA, Everclear, or Vodka) overnight, rinse, periodically. (ie, every half a dozen tanks or so, given you are dry burning between each one).

Also, out of curiosity - have a dripper?

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com
Kent, I don't have a dripper. I normally fill up a tank or two and take off for the day. It's very confusing, because I have used darker & sweeter liquids with no problem. The taste of betelgeuse is just too damn good, I dont know how to get around this issue.

I hope some of the crew can wander along and offer more advice bud. I haven't really experienced the issue to be truthful - it burns really clean for me - but I am the type that yanks my cotton out of my micros really frequently. On the protanks, every considered grabbing a roll of kanthal and twisting up a microcoil with cotton... I have a PT2 that rocks my socks off with a similar build.

Enzzo

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2013
USA
I hope some of the crew can wander along and offer more advice bud. I haven't really experienced the issue to be truthful - it burns really clean for me - but I am the type that yanks my cotton out of my micros really frequently. On the protanks, every considered grabbing a roll of kanthal and twisting up a microcoil with cotton... I have a PT2 that rocks my socks off with a similar build.

That's what's weird, I have tried looking around and don't really see anyone else with this issue. I've never really gotten into the rebuildable stuff, I don't really have too much time to dedicate to learning it.

Enzzo

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2013
USA
Hey Enzzo,

You know you can dry burn the silica wicks in the Protanks coils a couple of times to get more usage out of them. Pop the chimmny off, remove the extra wicks, dry burn, replace the wicks and put back together. Fill with BG and go.

Kent, I'd also like to say BG is a coil killer for me too in my dripper.

Taki

I'll have to try this tonight, thanks!

DaBucs

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2013
Orlando, Fl
Hey guys, so I really really love the taste of this juice, but it seems to gunk up all my tanks. Protank coils are going in about a day of vaping, and the juice turns really dark and thick in a iCLear 30 after a day or two.

I've tried vaping it at only 3 volts and 5 watts and it continues to gunk these up. I'd really like to use this in my protank but I can't keep buying new coils everyday.

Any suggestions or tips?

When you put a new head in are you allowing the juice to soak into the wicks...ie waiting at least 15 minutes before use? I have never had this be an issue for me with BG. Well take that back after using a head a couple weeks and cleaning and reusing, then the juice would darken. I take this to be the wick having been used and discolored from buning, and then dying the juice to the darker color. This is with pro tank heads and my first clearomizers that were the Kanger T2 top coils....just some thoughts on this from me.

Currently I do not have any BG and haven't had any for awhile, but with my cls...i can go a couple weeks on one head before its getting hard to hit and see when i add new juice the discoloration from the old juice, but I haven't had any go black since I used the T2's, and again I associated that to wick discoloration....hope that helps :)

Enzzo

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2013
USA
When you put a new head in are you allowing the juice to soak into the wicks...ie waiting at least 15 minutes before use? I have never had this be an issue for me with BG. Well take that back after using a head a couple weeks and cleaning and reusing, then the juice would darken. I take this to be the wick having been used and discolored from buning, and then dying the juice to the darker color. This is with pro tank heads and my first clearomizers that were the Kanger T2 top coils....just some thoughts on this from me.

Currently I do not have any BG and haven't had any for awhile, but with my cls...i can go a couple weeks on one head before its getting hard to hit and see when i add new juice the discoloration from the old juice, but I haven't had any go black since I used the T2's, and again I associated that to wick discoloration....hope that helps :)

Yeah, last head I even let sit overnight before trying. I really have no clue whats happening, this is the 3rd bottle of BG and countless heads. No clue what I'm doing wrong. What wattage/voltage do you use?

tcs007

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2014
Eau Claire, WI
I find myself going through maybe 2ml of betelgeuse before I find the taste changing on my cotton wicks. I run it pretty hot though - 1.4 -1.6 ohm rebuilt coils at 12 - 14 watts. The taste change is subtle. But because I no longer smoke, I can really tell. The cotton has the slightest amount of discoloration where it sits in the wick.

What I do is pull the coil out, pull the cotton and toss it, rinse it with water quickly, dry burn to remove the gunk (There's just a little bit of it), re-wick the coil, soak with Betelgeuse, and reassemble. Then I'll let it sit for about 15 minutes, and I'm good to go until the next day. Takes about 5 minutes (minus the sit) and the flavor remains consistent day to day. I find if I don't change out the wicks daily, it starts tasting funky on the second day.

DaBucs

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2013
Orlando, Fl
Yeah, last head I even let sit overnight before trying. I really have no clue whats happening, this is the 3rd bottle of BG and countless heads. No clue what I'm doing wrong. What wattage/voltage do you use?

Lets see when I had the BG, I think I was running it at around 3.3 or 4 to 3.7v on my spinner....fruits tend to be best at lower voltages/wattages...at those voltages, going between them the different flavors in bg would come out depending on the voltage used...never had it gunk up....and as an aside I didnt note yesterday with the darkening of the juices, I had it happen with vanda and angels kiss from 2 different vendors ( that clean bossman or can I not say those flavs?)...again i attributed that to discolorization from the wicks..

TyrannyUnleashed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Mid-South
Enzzo,

I've gone through several bottle of the bug juice and have had little to no abnormal coil issues. In fact I've gone through 20 to 40ml without even needing to replacing a cotton wick.

But what I have found is that some devices don't use a constant voltage regulation, and tend to lead to more coil problems in general with any juice I have used.... I like to burn NT juices at 8W minimum and go up from there. I know others keep theirs at lower levels and don't have problems. You said you were vaping at 3V or 5W? In my opinion that is to low for these juices, and may not allow the liquid to completely vaporize. I would think that could leave gunk on a coil, running that low a temp.

TyrannyUnleashed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Mid-South
I find myself going through maybe 2ml of betelgeuse before I find the taste changing on my cotton wicks. I run it pretty hot though - 1.4 -1.6 ohm rebuilt coils at 12 - 14 watts. The taste change is subtle. But because I no longer smoke, I can really tell. The cotton has the slightest amount of discoloration where it sits in the wick.

What I do is pull the coil out, pull the cotton and toss it, rinse it with water quickly, dry burn to remove the gunk (There's just a little bit of it), re-wick the coil, soak with Betelgeuse, and reassemble. Then I'll let it sit for about 15 minutes, and I'm good to go until the next day. Takes about 5 minutes (minus the sit) and the flavor remains consistent day to day. I find if I don't change out the wicks daily, it starts tasting funky on the second day.

2ml?

Don't get a Kayfun type tank if you are needing to replace the cotton at 2ml. That would become a burden pretty quickly.
We had one person in here running the bug juice at over 80W without any problems.

Now that was power!

tcs007

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2014
Eau Claire, WI
2ml?

Don't get a Kayfun type tank if you are needing to replace the cotton at 2ml. That would become a burden pretty quickly.
We had one person in here running the bug juice at over 80W without any problems.

Now that was power!
I use Anyvape Mini Davides exclusively when I'm not home. Identical to the Mini Pro Tanks. They're 1.5 ml in size, so no worries. I noticed it when I would just refill and not change the wicks. Now, I just change the wicks when I refill.

When I'm at home, I use my drippers. :D

Enzzo

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2013
USA
Enzzo,

I've gone through several bottle of the bug juice and have had little to no abnormal coil issues. In fact I've gone through 20 to 40ml without even needing to replacing a cotton wick.

But what I have found is that some devices don't use a constant voltage regulation, and tend to lead to more coil problems in general with any juice I have used.... I like to burn NT juices at 8W minimum and go up from there. I know others keep theirs at lower levels and don't have problems. You said you were vaping at 3V or 5W? In my opinion that is to low for these juices, and may not allow the liquid to completely vaporize. I would think that could leave gunk on a coil, running that low a temp.

Interesting, I kept it low because I assumed that too high would burn it faster than it was currently. But actually increasing the wattage could solve this???

I'm using a VTR and itaste vv3, what wattage(and voltage) would you reccomend?

Last edited:

TyrannyUnleashed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Mid-South
Interesting, I kept it low because I assumed that too high would burn it faster than it was currently. But actually increasing the wattage could solve this???

I'm using a VTR and itaste vv3, what wattage(and voltage) would you reccomend?

It would really depend on what the best performance is for you. But what I have found is that Clark uses higher grade PG, VG, and or Nic. than some other places use. And since his base is better quality it can be run at the higher temps. A few of the lower tier (usually cost determines, but not always) companies will need their juice to be run in the five to six watt range to keep it from total meltdown.

I would say try it at 8w and see how it goes for you, and adjust up or down (according to taste) from there. You'll know when your getting it to hot for your hardware.

Here is what I would run my bug juice at...

Vamo with any topper - 7w to 8w max. After that it can get dicey
ProVari with KFL - 8w and above all day long with no issues
Mech with KFL 1- 15w to 22w
Mech with RDA - 15w on up
***Above is only a guide on what works for me with bug juice***

Also keep in mind that when the juice is in a tank it is exposed to heat and oxidation which will cause it to darken naturally anyway. And add to the fact that you may be adding new liquid to liquid that has already been heated up several times over, will just make the new liquid darker to start with. After this has been done a few times you will end up with a dark liquid.

The good news is that the dark liquid should not be a problem as far as taste goes (until a point in time).

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Last edited:

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com

One of the key things I have learned rebuilding (micros, RDAs) is that frequent dry burns improve the over all experience. Even the cleanest burning liquid on the plant will cause carbon build-up on the coil... if I hit a rig hard for 1-2 days, I almost have to yank it. Aside from H1N1, which is my really only ADV (personally), the rest are in rotation... it's harder for me to guage build-up because I hit them so infrequently. H1N1 is harder on coils that Betelgeuse though - the NET burns cleaner than most, but it's still a NET.

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com
Lets see when I had the BG, I think I was running it at around 3.3 or 4 to 3.7v on my spinner....fruits tend to be best at lower voltages/wattages...at those voltages, going between them the different flavors in bg would come out depending on the voltage used...never had it gunk up....and as an aside I didnt note yesterday with the darkening of the juices, I had it happen with vanda and angels kiss from 2 different vendors ( that clean bossman or can I not say those flavs?)...again i attributed that to dis-colorization from the wicks..

RE: your question - the general consensus is that anything that resides in the NT forum might is a representation of Nicoticket. Anything you say, I am responsible for. I really don't want to draw any specific comparisons to any other liquid - while those vendors may appreciate positive comments - any comments about other vendors (positive or negative) are probably best left to other forums. There's lots of grey area - and I'm not going to mod this particular post as an educational tool for future posters - but - any mention of other vendors that isn't reasonably required to address an issue, answer a question, or do a comprehensive review of a Nicoticket liquid - is probably ill advised.

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com
Enzzo,

You make a good point - high wattage means the liquid turns to vapor before it even hits the coil - less buildup!

Kent Brooks

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
www.nicoticket.com
It would really depend on what the best performance is for you. But what I have found is that Clark uses higher grade PG, VG, and or Nic. than some other places use. And since his base is better quality it can be run at the higher temps. A few of the lower tier (usually cost determines, but not always) companies will need their juice to be run in the five to six watt range to keep it from total meltdown.

I would say try it at 8w and see how it goes for you, and adjust up or down (according to taste) from there. You'll know when your getting it to hot for your hardware.

Here is what I would run my bug juice at...

Vamo with any topper - 7w to 8w max. After that it can get dicey
ProVari with KFL - 8w and above all day long with no issues
Mech with KFL 1- 15w to 22w
Mech with RDA - 15w on up
***Above is only a guide on what works for me with bug juice***

Also keep in mind that when the juice is in a tank it is exposed to heat and oxidation which will cause it to darken naturally anyway. And add to the fact that you may be adding new liquid to liquid that has already been heated up several times over, will just make the new liquid darker to start with. After this has been done a few times you will end up with a dark liquid.

The good news is that the dark liquid should not be a problem as far as taste goes (until a point in time).

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

I think I am going to rinse, rewick, and get BG on with the Igo-W at .455ohms (fresh 3.7v AW18650) to test this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread