Status
Not open for further replies.

ST Dog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Rocket City
And GRATS to ST DOG as well.

Thanks, but as I said I never quit. I just haven't had a cigarette.

I like the taste of tobacco. Not pre-made cigarettes, but good tobacco.
After a year of RYO I couldn't go back to pre-mades. And after 15 years I was as particular about tobacco as I am coffee (a lot I won't drink).

If I ever am dissatisfied with what I'm vaping and can't find something I like (which is how I've progressed to NETs now).

Last edited:

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
-35 degree wind chills in our forecast for today.

57054458.jpg

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Thanks, but as I said I never quit. I just haven't had a cigarette.

I like the taste of tobacco. Not pre-made cigarettes, but good tobacco.
After a years of RYO I couldn't go back to pre-mades. And after 15 years I was as particular about tobacco as I am coffee (a lot I won't drink).

If I ever am dissatisfied with what I'm vaping and can't find something I like (which is how I've progressed to NETs now).
I like the taste of tobacco. But was never a connoisseur

I smoked this Chop-chop (tobacco) - Wikipedia

Still love the smell of smoke. Even stale curtain smoke sometimes seems nice

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
You guys always includes wind chills and "feels like"

Here, temperature is temperature.

Who decides what it feels like?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
It's never cold where you are so I wouldn't expect you to know that a cold wind is much colder than the temperature could ever hope to be.

-35 temperature? No big deal, IMHO. Dress warm.
-35 wind chill? You can definitely still dress for it, but the wind is going to cut into you like still air simply cannot.

Temp is just temp where you are because you live in Australia. ;)

Humidity also plays an enormous factor into heat/cold.

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Yeah, scientific measuring equipment definitely isn't responsible for our wind chill warning of -35.

54 is very warm by the way :p :D

i'm just curious who decides these things

humidity is measurable, but generally not stated. It just either is humid or not

pressure is measureable

but "feels like" and "wind chill"?

are there instruments for these?

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
i'm just curious who decides these things

humidity is measurable, but generally not stated. It just either is humid or not

pressure is measureable

but "feels like" and "wind chill"?

are there instruments for these?
My understanding is they calculate wind chill based upon air temperature and wind speed and perhaps some other variables. NWS Windchill Information and Chart It gets into heat loss and all sorts of slothy stuff.

"Feels like" I think is different and I usually don't pay a lot of attention to it, not to say it isn't valid, but I'm not familiar with it really. I think humidity is at play with it perhaps among other things?

All I know is I'd rather have still air at -30 than have the temp be 0 but the wind chill be -20. It's that big of a difference, IMO. The wind cuts through clothing much better and sucks the heat out of skin.

Humidity, by the way, goes both ways - a lot of people don't realize it. When it's super cold out but the humidity is low, the cold has less of a tendency to "suck the heat out," so people who have never experienced subzero temps would probably not find it as harsh as they'd expect.

Think of it like running outside right after a shower without drying off. You're wet, so the cold air (assuming it's cold out) is going to chill you that much faster than if you were dry. Same idea, humidity on a cold day will make it feel colder.

It really isn't just as simple as "the temperature is X or Y" right now.

We have a wind chill advisory right now, here is what it says:

"Wind chill readings as low as 35 below due to temperatures 10 to 15 below and west winds 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Frost bite and hypothermia can occur within 15 minutes if precautions are not taken."

The wind chill is largely responsible for the frost bite bit. It dramatically speeds up the degree to which that can happen.

lyspaere

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2014
Wisconsin
but "feels like" and "wind chill"? are there instruments for these?

Wind Chill Index =
35.74 + 0.6215T - 35.75(V0.16) + 0.4275T(V0.16)
where:
V = wind speed (mph)
T = temperature (F)

Here, it's 10° F, with wind speed 20mph. Wind chill -8.88° F

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Wind Chill Index =
where:
V = wind speed (mph)
T = temperature (F)

Hey, how ya get the little degree symbol, :?:

Doffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2014
Australia
Wind Chill Index =
where:
V = wind speed (mph)
T = temperature (F)

thanks

seems like a separate unit of measurement would be of benefit, since it is not -8.88

call it -8.88 coldoids and i have no issue with you calling ten degrees that

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
My understanding is they calculate wind chill based upon air temperature and wind speed and perhaps some other variables. NWS Windchill Information and Chart It gets into heat loss and all sorts of slothy stuff.

"Feels like" I think is different and I usually don't pay a lot of attention to it, not to say it isn't valid, but I'm not familiar with it really. I think humidity is at play with it perhaps among other things?

All I know is I'd rather have still air at -30 than have the temp be 0 but the wind chill be -20. It's that big of a difference, IMO. The wind cuts through clothing much better and sucks the heat out of skin.

Humidity, by the way, goes both ways - a lot of people don't realize it. When it's super cold out but the humidity is low, the cold has less of a tendency to "suck the heat out," so people who have never experienced subzero temps would probably not find it as harsh as they'd expect.

Think of it like running outside right after a shower without drying off. You're wet, so the cold air (assuming it's cold out) is going to chill you that much faster than if you were dry. Same idea, humidity on a cold day will make it feel colder.

It really isn't just as simple as "the temperature is X or Y" right now.

We have a wind chill advisory right now, here is what it says:

"Wind chill readings as low as 35 below due to temperatures 10 to 15 below and west winds 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Frost bite and hypothermia can occur within 15 minutes if precautions are not taken."

The wind chill is largely responsible for the frost bite bit. It dramatically speeds up the degree to which that can happen.
"But it's a dry heat". :glare:

Try explaining that to someone who's never known that 70 degrees F in New Orleans burns like Hates but 100 degrees F in San Diego County is almost comfortable.

:blink:

Tapatyped

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
thanks

seems like a separate unit of measurement would be of benefit, since it is not -8.88

call it -8.88 coldoids and i have no issue with you calling ten degrees that
Simple and easy...

If you live up where sloth lives, you better know the wind chill or feels like temperature or there's simply days you may not make it back home alive.

Knowing the temperature alone will not prepare you for what's outside... and you'll freeze FAST.

Tapatyped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread