Status
Not open for further replies.

Krythis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
WNY
krythis.com
Recently I noticed my Mr Puffer was getting warm and the wire inside looked a bit discolored. I opened the case and hit the button...the spring got red hot. :ohmy: I've had good success with this setup for weeks. I started using high drain 14500s about two weeks ago and added the magnetic spacers just recently. When I test the battery I get ~3.8v. Is it possible these magnets have some crazy effect on the batteries or protection circuit? I'm a bit worried about putting it back on to test it.

PV: Mr Puffer MP1
Batt: High Drain 14500 and spacer from clouds of vapor
Atty: Nhaler 1.5 LR

Krythis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
WNY
krythis.com
I'm getting 4.16v at the battery adapter and both the wire from the switch to positive adapter connection and the spring are getting hot. This is without an atty connected.
Ok I found the problem, when I test continuity at the adapter to find a short I didn't get any response. But when I apply pressure to the center(positive) pin of the adapter a short shows itself :oops:

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
Ok I found the problem, when I test continuity at the adapter to find a short I didn't get any response. But when I apply pressure to the center(positive) pin of the adapter a short shows itself :oops:

Right when it shows itself, whack it in the head with a blunt object! Boom, dead short.

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself - or you, for that matter. I'll be here all weak.[sic])

Krythis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
WNY
krythis.com
Right when it shows itself, whack it in the head with a blunt object! Boom, dead short.

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself - or you, for that matter. I'll be here all weak.[sic])
I bashed it on the head with a Dremmel grinding bit :)

I just want to add that this short is entirely my fault and not the MP1's construction. After the stock epoxy fell apart I re-soldered and two part epoxied it, this is where the short formed. The movement in the silicone insulator in the atty adapter worked the positive solder join to the negative solder join near it. Took a while to complete the short as the epoxy was holding it apart...Working on a permanent fix now.

At least it's not some crazy battery issue :oops:

Krythis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2010
WNY
krythis.com
I bashed it on the head with a Dremmel grinding bit :)

I just want to add that this short is entirely my fault and not the MP1's construction. After the stock epoxy fell apart I re-soldered and two part epoxied it, this is where the short formed. The movement in the silicone insulator in the atty adapter worked the positive solder join to the negative solder join near it. Took a while to complete the short as the epoxy was holding it apart...Working on a permanent fix now.

At least it's not some crazy battery issue :oops:

Never mind, turned out to be a tear in the silicone insulator on the battery/atty connector that was allowing them to make contact when an atty was fully screwed in. I couldn't see it until I moved things around a bit. Probably did that myself when I tried Scottbee's staple mod last week....oops :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread