Birthday is Coming Up - Any Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

signer

Verified Member
Jul 30, 2012
North Cackalackey
My birthday is fast approaching, and I have dropped hints to my better half that I would like to get a mod. I currently am happy with 3.7v regulated ego-types and 1.7 Smoktech EMSCC’s and tanked 1.7 Smoks/2.0 Boges. This would mean that I don’t necessarily need a VV/VW device. I just want something more convenient battery-wise and not have to swap devices on and off chargers.

I would also like something easily used with one hand while driving and doing other tasks. Pocket-ability is not a deal-breaker, as I can always carry an ego setup around work and when out doing yardwork and such.

I prefer simple, well-made things with clean lines. I think I prefer the traditional side button, but I have never used a bottom or top button.

If I got an 18xxx variety (sorry, the numbers are confusing and I don’t yet get the significance of the numbering system of the batteries), then I would probably want one that can convert to mini form. A 14xxx variety would be nice as well, and I don’t really need high-mah batteries as I spend 95% of my time at home, in the car, or in my office at work, always close to a charger and some fresh batteries.

I’d also like to stay under $100 for the device, since I don’t want my wife breaking the bank. I can cover the batteries and chargers on my own.

Ones that have caught my eye aesthetically are The BB and The SB. If The SB was just able to shrink to the shorter size, then that would’ve probably made my decision easy.

I’m also not opposed to a hybrid. I’ve never rebuilt a wick/coil, but I think I could learn rather easily and I live near a B&M that has a very helpful staff who would help me out. I just haven’t seen any hybrids with a side button or that are less than $200.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? Did I just describe about everyone who dips their toe in the mod waters for the first time?

Thanks all.

Last edited:

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
The BB is a mechanical mod. So it puts out the voltage of the battery. If you want to go the mechanical mod route, there are lots of good clones under $100. From the top of my head, the Magneto from Smoktech, the Chi-you clone by hcigar, or the K100/101.

If you want to go with something VV/VW, you could look at the Vamo or Sigelei Zmax. I really like my Zmax and its telescoping, so you can use 18350s on it in the smallest mode, or 18500/18650s. I would recommend one of the APVs along these lines. You can always go the mechanical mod route later on, but with these mods, they have safety features and read the resistance. These are great for learning to build RBAs.

Cjax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
RVa USA
The BB and SB both have a wired switch. Not taking away from them, but they are not fully mechanical. They are good mods, but I wouldn't necessarily push them below about 1Ω to be safe. The lower the ohms the higher the risk of damaging the wiring. If you want something fully mechanical, the EHpro EA clone has gotten rave reviews.

The Sigelei #8, 19 or 13a are good choices that with the addition of a fusion SG-1 kit can be made into hybrids with any 22mm atty.

Last edited:

Drhookerman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2010
Los Angeles
Mechanical mod only get scary when you are putting them with RBA's because of shortage, but if you are using a clearomizer and protanks then they are fairly safe. You will just have to monitor the battery levels because of the sensitive batteries. Smoktech and Sigelei both have a few nice reliable and heavy duty mods that slide in and out of your pocket with ease. The K100 is also another nice mod for under 40 but it is a little bit bulkier than most (I removed my k100 sleeve just to make it a tad bit less bulky).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread