Black residue on threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExcelciusMaximus

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
Austin, TX
Hey guys and gals.

I have been using standard 510 attys, de-bridged and de-wicked for a long time now while dripping. Within the last few months, when I go to wipe the atty threads and inside threads of my Ego batt clean, I get a ring of black-ish residue. None of my juices are that dark, but perhaps it's build-up? Or paint from the atty (which, wouldn't make much sense)? Just curious because when I clean the atty it happens again almost immediately. Just want to make sure it's not burning off something toxic. It doesn't taste nasty or anything. Anyone else with this issue? Thanks.

~Ex~

ronlitton

Sep 22, 2010
Monticello, FL
Both PG and VG leave a black tarry residue when burned, and the more burned it gets, the harder it gets. That stuff migrates to your screw threads, and is hard to get off. I use a small dental pick (I asked my dentist if they had any broken or old used picks I could have) and scrape it off, to clean up the threads. You could also use very fine steel wool or ScotchBrite pads, but you risk messing up the threads - be VERY careful to get all the steel wool off the threads before screwing them together, or you'll "lock" the threads up! Wipe the threads down with a soft cloth or paper towel wetted with vodka or Everclear (don't use rubbing alcohol or any non-food grade alcohol) before screwing anything into them. You should be good to go, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread