Blatant appeal for encouragement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cori

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2009
USA
One thing that helped me was to play mind games with myself. First I told myself I was just going to vape in between ciggies, and I could have a cigarette as often or as much as I liked... after a week of vaping, I just got up one morning thinking if I could just get through an hour after waking without a ciggy, vaping only... that I'd be well on my way.

I spent the hour vaping and in that hour the urge to smoke went away. I think the key is to not act on it on impulse..vape vape vape and vape some more and if you still can't get over the urge, have that one ciggy. Eventually the smokes will taste like crap, guaranteed.

Hang in there, you'll conquer it in your own way.

KathyB

Jul 28, 2009
North Ridgeville, OH
Hi Kathy.. I know your pain.. I was backed into a corner and basically forced to give up analogs and I felt the same way your origional post seemed to be feeling.. I was in panic mode for like two days (I've got a good sized thread around here somewhere on it.. lots of encouraging words there from a lot of people if you want to take the time to find it) It took me 3 days to fully calm down 8-o But now... as my ticker says, it's been a while and I don't regret toughing it out. This forum is a great place filled with wonderful people and we're here to hold your hand when/if you need it.

BTW starting a ticker seems to help as a silent form of encouragment too.. I see other people's tickers up to hundreds of days smoke free and I keep thinking to myself "I want mine to look like that!" so I watch it and wait and know that if I smoke 1 analog I have to restart the ticker.. and we can't have any of that now can we?? :p

Hey Ryle! - I like the ticker idea - when I get 15 posts, then the "forum" will allow me to install one. That was heartening to hear you had a few first couple of days too. Since I'm now at the end of my 2nd day off analogs, I think I can make it! I feel better already, much to my amazement! THX again for your help! KathyB

KathyB

Jul 28, 2009
North Ridgeville, OH
Hey Ryle! - I like the ticker idea - when I get 15 posts, then the "forum" will allow me to install one. That was heartening to hear you had a few first couple of days too. Since I'm now at the end of my 2nd day off analogs, I think I can make it! I feel better already, much to my amazement! THX again for your help! KathyB

* a ROUGH few first couple of days (I meant to say)

KathyB

Jul 28, 2009
North Ridgeville, OH
I got my PV and haven't had an analog since. That's not to say the craving wasn't there the first few days but I set my mind to the fact that every time I had an analog craving I would vape it away, and it worked. The craving does go away. You're fulfilling the psychological part of the craving just going through the motions of vaping. At that point all you have to do is maintain it long enough to counter the chemical need.

Make it an attainable goal that you know you can accomplish in your mind. If your good at playing cards then visualize getting a flush and taking the pot as you vape. If you like cooking imagine setting out the perfect turkey for T-day. Don't make the goal "not smoking the analog" make it something you can or do, do everyday.

If it helps manage it like an OCD (that's my schtick) control your breathing, increase your O2 or CO2 whatever works for you, and make sure you're inhaling it to meet your needs.

Just some random thoughts. I hope they help.

Porphy - i like your positive attitude and the attainable goal idea. Others, like you, have mentioned about the inhale/exhale concept and at first I wasn't successful because I was vaping too fast like I would with an analog. Thanks for your help!!! KathyB

Ryle

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2008
Durant, Ok
LOL I know what you meant Kathy. You sound a lot like I did around the 24hour mark.. much more optimistic

It makes me wonder.. in the first 24 hours did you randomly get the urge to burst into tears without a solid reason why?? Or am I the only one that was that crazy ;)

If you have a myspace.. put your ticker there too.. I did.. n now my friends (even the smokers) send me messages from time to time making sure the ticker is still accurate... They all know I quit 2x before and each time only made it 6 weeks :oops: But I beat that trend too :D

Just don't let yourself look at it as :"never again" I think that's where the depression and panic attacks really kick in. Like a lot of other people are saying.. small things, whatever little thing motivates you. For me it's my ticker. *shrug* but becoming a more active member of the forum also helps a lot. The first time I went 100% Vape was my 2nd 6week smoke free stent.. but I wasn't a very active member of the forum then... this time I've forced myself to be on here every single day, it helps to keep me from feeling alone to know there are otehrs out there. You're so lucky you have a hubby that vapes too... my BF is one of those "dumb no-smoker people".. you know.. the kind that never even had a drag off an analog in their life! LOL

Imma get off your thread now and go harass someone else :p Feel free to PM me any time you like I'm usually floating around here somewhere :D

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Kathy, Welcome to ECF! All of the above posts were right on target about quitting. Glad to hear you are 2 days free!! It is a one day at a time deal, try to stick with it but if you don't..try again! Every analog you avoid is a victory.
A trick i used was putting the analogs in the farest room from where I sit. It was too big a pain to shelp all the way (2 rooms..lol) to get one. I also didn't smoke until I vaped, most of the time I didn't even want one after that. It took me 4 days to forget to reach for an analog first.
This place will help, it's so good that you have another vaper in the house, it really helps.
When you get frustrated come on down to the "Women's Room" and post a rant or six. Just click on the hyperlink below my name.

Moonflame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Smith Mt Lake area, Va, USA
I know I'm a total geek, but I kinda looked at it like I do a quest in the MMO's I play. Every time I had an urge to smoke and vaped instead it was like fulfilling one more quest objective. That and the fact that I refuse to have to reset the banner really helped. And laziness-- I put the cigs in one place in the house, the ashtrays in another, and the lighter in another and I knew to smoke I'd have to get up and go all over the house, or I could comfortably vape away right where I was. Laziness won every time!

I'm filled with a mix of sadness (like the death of a friend) and fear (oh my god what if I never have another analog.... aieeeeeee) and gosh knows how many other things.

Oh yeah, welcome! I posted something along those lines several weeks ago, shortly after starting on e-cig's. It's an odd feeling, if it's like what I felt - I found myself in a kind of identity crises, after so many years of being a "smoker" I wondered "so what am I - now?". In a word, it was weird. The more I examined and observed my own habits and activities related to smoking the more I realized that I didn't understand what I was doing and why nearly as well as I'd thought. I'm not sure I do now to be honest. It's kinda strange.

Embrace the strangeness, is my advice and accept it for what it is - the natural expression of change that inevitably comes in life. It's actually been kind of fun. :) And I feel so much better!

Last edited:

KathyB

Jul 28, 2009
North Ridgeville, OH
I know I'm a total geek, but I kinda looked at it like I do a quest in the MMO's I play. Every time I had an urge to smoke and vaped instead it was like fulfilling one more quest objective. That and the fact that I refuse to have to reset the banner really helped. And laziness-- I put the cigs in one place in the house, the ashtrays in another, and the lighter in another and I knew to smoke I'd have to get up and go all over the house, or I could comfortably vape away right where I was. Laziness won every time!

Hi Moonflame - thanks for your comments - very helpful! I am not into World of Warcraft or anything, but I get your drift! LOL I placed my remaining 1/2 pack of analogs in the GARAGE...so I just don't go outside to keep myself away from them. So you are right....laziness works - ha!

KathyB

Jul 28, 2009
North Ridgeville, OH
Kathy, Welcome to ECF! All of the above posts were right on target about quitting. Glad to hear you are 2 days free!! It is a one day at a time deal, try to stick with it but if you don't..try again! Every analog you avoid is a victory.
A trick i used was putting the analogs in the farest room from where I sit. It was too big a pain to shelp all the way (2 rooms..lol) to get one. I also didn't smoke until I vaped, most of the time I didn't even want one after that. It took me 4 days to forget to reach for an analog first.
This place will help, it's so good that you have another vaper in the house, it really helps.
When you get frustrated come on down to the "Women's Room" and post a rant or six. Just click on the hyperlink below my name.

Hi Mary Kay! Thank you for your kind response! Yes, you are right about putting the analogs far from reach. I put my remaining 1/2 pack in the garage - ha! So I try to avoid going outside and that seems to help too. Thanks also for the Women's Room link - I'll give that a try. - KathyB

steven.rn

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2009
Ohio
Good grief, that's so cute I may just go into a sugar coma.

Meanwhile, I have some advice, no, wait, I just can't do it... MOOPY?!

How the heck am I supposed to give vaping advice to someone who was just called Moopy in front of God and everybody?

You should hear us when we get on our "no, YOU'RE moopy!" (like the seinfeld episode) rants at home :p
The child (she's the last one at home, 22 y.o. - and I hope, will someday exit the basement....) routinely makes the universal finger in the mouth gag sign and asks "What are you guys smokin!?!?"

Hopefully, soon she'll be askin what we've been vapin :D

Last edited:

KathyB

Jul 28, 2009
North Ridgeville, OH

MaryKay - you are from St. Cloud, Florida? Cool - my dear cousin is the Harbor Master of Tampa Bay! I've been down your neck of the woods - it is so beautiful there! I would love to live there someday!

yknotagain

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2009
Kenosha, WI
Congrats on day 4 Kathy!!! :D - as a 41 year 4-5 pack a day smoker, I celebrate each day as a new beginning for me. Whenever I feel like I'm going to break down I grab some 36mg drops and vape a couple. Other days I can do fine with Zero mg most of the day. Today was so-so for me, so been vaping some 0mg, 12mg, 20mg and 24mg (I usually have 4 e-cigs with me).

Keep up the great work!

maryjo

ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Columbia, LA
I'm now finishing up my 4th day tobacco/analog-free!!! I'm so excited! Had a very stressful day but managed to stay away from grabbing an analog. I figured, if I made it this far, why should I ruin it by setting myself back with a poisoness cigarette. Just wanted to give myself a pat on the back - ha!
Congrats Kathy - It will get better. Of course some days are better than others. You can do this - we will help!

pattyjo

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
new hampshire
Welcome KathyB, I think once you get used to vaping you wont want to go back to analogs. I have been smoke free for 2 years, I started with the gum but then I found vaping .The smell of cigarette smoke gags me now I cant stand it. Try all the flavors its really fun Everything will smell so much better in your home and yourself too. I hope after a few weeks you will be grossed out when you smell tobacco smoke I can honestly say I will NEVER go back to analogs Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread