Blood Pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaBloog

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
Fontana, CA
I had a full blown medical in July, 2010 and it showed my BP was borderline high - which is typical for a lot of us 40 somethings...(?) - everything else was normal, 'cept I had elevated triglycerides - (exercise and daily Omega-3 tabs is supposed to cure this ...)

So, I've quit analogs altogether after vaping concurrently from the end of Sept, 2010 to my analog quit date of Nov 18, 2010 - where, I have been vaping exclusively. And, I was hoping that by quitting the choke sticks might help to bring my BP back in line with the norms but, -- it hasn't. It has now crossed the borderline to a definitive high. I'm going to the doc tomorrow for another checkup, but wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced similar? Kinda looking for hints for what to tell the doc about e-cigs in general and my new habit.

I'm thinking that this could be the result of my body adjusting to the transition from choking down 4000+ 'other' chemicals and poisons including arsenic and cyanide found in traditional analogs 20-25 times a day to vaping a pure nic liquid? Or, perhaps 24mg is too strong and my body needs to adjust?

Nicotine, in general, is not proven nor has it been associated with or confirmed as a disease causing agent (according to the UCLA medical cheif of staff) - but it is a stimulant and has been proven to constrict arteries and blood flow which could ultimately result in higher BP.

Anyway, I guess I'm looking for similar experiences and observations in changes to health as a result of transitioning.

Thanks!

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
I had a full blown medical in July, 2010 and it showed my BP was borderline high - which is typical for a lot of us 40 somethings...(?) - everything else was normal, 'cept I had elevated triglycerides - (exercise and daily Omega-3 tabs is supposed to cure this ...)

So, I've quit analogs altogether after vaping concurrently from the end of Sept, 2010 to my analog quit date of Nov 18, 2010 - where, I have been vaping exclusively. And, I was hoping that by quitting the choke sticks might help to bring my BP back in line with the norms but, -- it hasn't. It has now crossed the borderline to a definitive high. I'm going to the doc tomorrow for another checkup, but wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced similar? Kinda looking for hints for what to tell the doc about e-cigs in general and my new habit.

I'm thinking that this could be the result of my body adjusting to the transition from choking down 4000+ 'other' chemicals and poisons including arsenic and cyanide found in traditional analogs 20-25 times a day to vaping a pure nic liquid? Or, perhaps 24mg is too strong and my body needs to adjust?

Nicotine, in general, is not proven nor has it been associated with or confirmed as a disease causing agent (according to the UCLA medical cheif of staff) - but it is a stimulant and has been proven to constrict arteries and blood flow which could ultimately result in higher BP.

Anyway, I guess I'm looking for similar experiences and observations in changes to health as a result of transitioning.

Thanks!
I would cut the nicotine level down and see if that helps. You have not been off combustible cigarettes very long so keep up with your ecig and don"t smoke the bad analogs. I have never had a problem with high blood pressure or high cholesterol,but since quitting smoking for over a year and half, my heart rate has gone down and my ratio of good cholesterol to bad is incredible. It is 90 of the bad and 73 of the good! My Doctor is pleased and is a supporter of ecigs. Hang in there and keep exercising. Hope all goes well with you

PapaBloog

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
Fontana, CA
I would cut the nicotine level down and see if that helps. You have not been off combustible cigarettes very long so keep up with your ecig and don"t smoke the bad analogs. ... My Doctor is pleased and is a supporter of ecigs. Hang in there and keep exercising. Hope all goes well with you

Tx Luisa - there's no way I'm going back to analogs - that's definite - OTOH, don't know if my doctor(s) have been educated on e-cig use or even what they are. Thank you for the support!

7thCabal

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2010
808state
Just checked my BP 134/75 after vaping some 12mg. My BP was way up there according to my cardiologist a few months back-- but a better nutritional diet (more plant based vs. processed foods) & exercise has brought it down closer to normal now... lowering your sodium intake if you haven't already, helps tremendously in lowering your BP.
I expect my triglyceride count to be a little better than what it was also-- I'll definitely find out when I go back to the Dr. come Feb.
I haven't had a cigarette in about 14 months, & I definitely notice better lung function when exerting myself-- I find myself doing things that I normally wouldn't have attempted while I was smoking cigarettes... & that to me is a good thing, I actually like having an active lifestyle (again) which is something cigarettes blindsided me from for way too long.

PapaBloog

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
Fontana, CA
Just checked my BP 134/75 after vaping some 12mg.

Thanks for that - I suspect the same - that the higher MG might be the cause. I went higher on my vapes because the lower mgs didn't quite hit the spot; wanted to make certain to kill the urge lest the urge kill me. Have some 18mg on order now - my BP as of around 6 hours ago was 145/102 < yikes > my pulse rate seems to be slowing well also, which I think is good - it's been ranging from 65-70 in a relaxed state.

I haven't had a cigarette in about 14 months, & I definitely notice better lung function when exerting myself-- I find myself doing things that I normally wouldn't have attempted while I was smoking cigarettes... & that to me is a good thing, I actually like having an active lifestyle (again) which is something cigarettes blindsided me from for way too long.

Isn't that the truth? I've been off analogs now for about a month 2 weeks? I already notice improved lung function - including on the deep breaths. I'm still amazed at how easy the transition was to e-cigs - and now, over 51 packs of cigs not smoked? I just hope there is no correlation of my BP to the e-cig...

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
quas!!! long time no see!!!

When smoking my BP ran high but controlled with a couple meds.
Went to see doctor after vaping a few months because I was feeling a little funky. The cause: BP was too low. I told him about the e-cig and he was happy I wasn't smoking anymore.
After the meds adjustment, it pretty much stayed the same.

Last edited:

GregH

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2009
Georgia USA
Where and when are you taking your BP?

I suffer from white coat hypertension and always have. My BP skyrockets whenever I'm in a doctor's office and the nurse puts that cuff around my arm. It's also a bit elevated using those machines found near the pharmacy in stores. So I got a home monitor and take it twice a day (morning and evening). It's normal when I'm home, and vaping doesn't seem to affect it.

PapaBloog

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
Fontana, CA

I suffer from white coat hypertension and always have. My BP skyrockets whenever I'm in a doctor's office and the nurse puts that cuff around my arm. It's also a bit elevated using those machines found near the pharmacy in stores. So I got a home monitor and take it twice a day (morning and evening). It's normal when I'm home, and vaping doesn't seem to affect it.

Been taking it at the local Von's pharmacy - just took it this morning again, pre-vape & mocha - still high. Guess the docs are out today so I had to schedule a 'real' appointment early Jan, 11;

Where did you get your home BP kit from? That might be a nice-to-have....

Really don't want to enter the world of meds yet -- I'm hearing meds are for life specially in terms of BP?

white coat hypertension

LOL!

Last edited:

PapaBloog

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
Fontana, CA
I made a similar post a year or so back. My BP was always normal until I started vaping. I think the problem was that I was getting a lot more nicotine in my system. I was chain vaping 35mg juice. Since that time, I've reduced the nic level to 28mg and my BP is back to normal!

Next on my agenda - 24mg is pretty strong for me. I definitely get a nic buzz greater than my prior analog experiences. Dropping to 18 -I went higher initially because from what I've learned is that the nic content % contributes to throat hit - and found that 24mg (for me) was most analog-like. Hopefully, now that I'm off, the TH won't degrade much from the drop...?

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
Been taking it at the local Von's pharmacy - just took it this morning again, pre-vape & mocha - still high. Guess the docs are out today so I had to schedule a 'real' appointment early Jan, 11;

Where did you get your home BP kit from? That might be a nice-to-have....

Really don't want to enter the world of meds yet -- I'm hearing meds are for life specially in terms of BP?

LOL!
Keep using a lower level nicotine ecig,forget the designer high caffeine drink before the Doctors" appointment,keep exercising,and let us know your BP after your Doctors" appointment on the 11th. GOOD LUCK!

PapaBloog

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
Fontana, CA
Papa, on CASAA's web site they have information that you can print out for your doctor, the medical info-graph, and also a tri-fold brochure explaining what a ecig is. Here's the link to the page that has the documents

CASAA.org

This is great info! Now, does anyone know of the link to the Boston University report that's supposed to be released online prior to print? I've only been able to find links that mention some of the higher points pre-release release!

PapaBloog

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
Fontana, CA
Keep using a lower level nicotine ecig,forget the designer high caffeine drink before the Doctors" appointment,keep exercising,and let us know your BP after your Doctors" appointment on the 11th. GOOD LUCK!

Thanks Luisa - will report any new findings after the trip to the doc's office... still waiting on my 18mg juice though - stuck in the snail mail.

throatkick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
FL

It never fails! I actually took a BP monitor in to the Dr's office to make sure it wasn't malfunctioning. My BP is always lower when in familiar surroundings. Either way, since dropping analogs 9 days ago, my heart rate has slowed considerably (approx 20%) and BP is between 115-125 and 70-80. I have also cross referenced by checking at the pharmacy as well. Similar results!

Lung function.... oh man. Just 9 days ago I could barely yawn. I had to suppress yawning because it plain hurt! Anyway, for the past 3-4 days, no problem at all !! After so many years, even yawning is like a new discovery for me!

PapaBloog

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
Fontana, CA
Lung function.... oh man. Just 9 days ago I could barely yawn. I had to suppress yawning because it plain hurt! Anyway, for the past 3-4 days, no problem at all !! After so many years, even yawning is like a new discovery for me!

Not to detract from the purpose of this thread, wait 'til you get your taste buds back. It's about as dramatic as a color blind person seeing color again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread