I had a cartomizer (hendu) that had just become too hard to draw on, even after repeated cleanings/dryings. So I plucked out the wadding and just for the heck of it, I took some blue foam and cut a little square of it, roughly the same size as the unfolded wadding - just enough to wrap around the tube - and inserted the new 'roll' into the cart. It works! It didn't seem to matter that I didn't try to make the heating element be attached. I made sure to push the foam roll down until it stopped. I put a few drops of juice in and after a couple of primer puffs, it started going quite like a champ. I tried it on another old-but-not-dead cart and it also worked. The draw was better than the first, and since I'd used a litte smaller patch of foam in the second one, I took the first cart and cut off a little of that foam and packed it back in, and it had a better draw too. When I removed the wet foam from the first to clip a little off, I noticed that the foam collected the juice in spots, but it was still vaping quite well, and it could hold quite a bit.