Blue foam stuffing

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarmeetsjake

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Amory, MS
I was told that blue foam that's used in fish tank filters is the best thing to use as fill inside of carts. I got some at my petsmart, but when I cut a piece to put in a cart, I had a very rough time getting it to stuff in right. What's the best way to go about doing this? The foam has a blue layer and fades into a white layer at the bottom. Do I need to stuff with both layers, or just with the blue layer? When I tried using both layers, it was wayyy too thick and I couldn't get it to stuff in correctly. Any help would be appreciated :)

guitarmeetsjake

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Amory, MS
Bluefoam1.jpg
bluefoam2.jpg

See in the first pic how it fades into two separate layers? Just making sure I have the right thing because I haven't heard of this being an issue. I don't wanna load my cart with something that's going to mess up my vaporizer or give me some kind of cancer hahaha xD

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST

guitarmeetsjake

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Amory, MS
Thanks for the tip!

Yeah, that's the same thing I have. Or the front of the package says that it's the same thing, but it just looks a little different. That kind doesn't show as having a white layer. I dunno. I think both layers are made out of the same material. Maybe the white side is just a different color so that you can tell how much gunk has been filtered better so you'll know when to change it. That would be my best guess

guitarmeetsjake

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Amory, MS
Looks like you got the Type 'V' and not the Type 'U' that AttyPops reccommended.

ETA - You folk are quick... The 'U' is a foam and the 'V' is a fiber. Yeah, I bought the wrong one first...
Oh, crap... I didn't know there was a V and a U type :( they only had this one big pack that costed $7!! I thought, "hmm.. Well that's pretty expensive, but at least I'll have a lifetime supply of it." Well... Bummer. Thanks for clearing this up though. No wonder it doesn't really seem like a material that would absorb e-liquid very well x)

Guess I should have done a bit more reading before making assumptions.

Last edited:

KDK

ECF Veteran
May 27, 2010
Fresno Ca. USA
I use the blue foam, but I don't stuff the whole cart with it. I just use a .5 inch square piece (for an 801 cart) to plug the end after filling the cart. There is a thread somewhere on this forum all about this, and that's where I got the tip. It works great for me, so good that I've not been tempted into trying dripping or cartomisers!

SubOnAux24

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2010
Valley of the Sun
The U-type blue foam rocks my carts. I have had the same pieces in my carts for over 6 months and still good as new. Just rinse it and pinch it in a paper towel to dry it. Good as new. Taper cut one end to a "V" shape and put the tapered end in the cart first. Keep the top of the foam just a bit lower than the top of the cartridge so it won't singe on the atty. Once you get the hang of cutting them proper then it is super easy. Might waste a little while trying tho. No biggie, just practice.

Aladdin

Jun 26, 2011
South Jersey
I use the same filter medium as you. The blue that fades to white.

Pull them apart and use the just the white. The blue seems to have a different consistency and doesn't accept the liquid as easily.
I usually cut a piece of the white about the width of the cart and twice as long. Then I fold it in half and stuff it in. If there's any hanging out, I cut it off. I know I've got the right amount in there when it will take about eight drops before it's filled. Any more liquid and it means it's packed too loose and I have problems with it leaking. On the other hand, if you stuff it too tight it's a harder draw and you are refilling too often 'cause it's only takng four or five drops.

Takes a bit to get the hang of it, but that's what works for me.

Aladdin~

guitarmeetsjake

ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2011
Amory, MS
I use the same filter medium as you. The blue that fades to white.

Pull them apart and use the just the white. The blue seems to have a different consistency and doesn't accept the liquid as easily.
I usually cut a piece of the white about the width of the cart and twice as long. Then I fold it in half and stuff it in. If there's any hanging out, I cut it off. I know I've got the right amount in there when it will take about eight drops before it's filled. Any more liquid and it means it's packed too loose and I have problems with it leaking. On the other hand, if you stuff it too tight it's a harder draw and you are refilling too often 'cause it's only takng four or five drops.

Takes a bit to get the hang of it, but that's what works for me.

Aladdin~
Oh, thanks for the tip! I didn't know you could use the V-type as well. At least this huge $7 sheet won't go to waste x)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread