The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

BMS

Discussion in 'Health, Safety and Vaping' started by Bksarrmo1, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Bksarrmo1

Bksarrmo1 Full Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Hi All,
    A little back story. Smoke half a pack a day, 25 years or so. Around the same time I quit, started vaping, I also had all my teeth extracted for dentures. Within a week of starting vaping/ teeth extracted using many numbing injections, I developed Burning Mouth Syndrome. ONE of these factors caused it. I am now miserable, with not much hope of ever being able to wear my dentures, as they make the burn WAY worse, but I am going to give up vaping, as it has been linked to BMS. Another person who has same issue contacted the CDC, and they want to hear from anyone like me. Any others with this issue?

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Horselady154

Horselady154 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    United States
    Uh, when you have a tooth extracted, dentists usually tell you NOT to suck anything for a good while; until it heals. Cigarettes, straws and I am more than sure that would include vaping. Because it causes dry socket, which is painful as all hell.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Horselady154

Horselady154 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    United States
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. fiddleshe

fiddleshe Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 11, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ive had dry socket more than a few times from smoking/vaping after extraction. It's painful as hell. I dont know if that's what your experiencing. If so I'm sorry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bksarrmo1

Bksarrmo1 Full Member

Oct 1, 2019
    This was 2 years ago, so, it’s not dry socket

6. fiddleshe

Dec 11, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ohhhh Ive had that when I had a subclinical case of thrush. A course of treatment with diflucan fixed it. Im diabetic so Ive had that a few times too.

7. Bksarrmo1

Bksarrmo1 Full Member

Oct 1, 2019
    No dry socket. Continuous burn, for 2 years

8. Bksarrmo1

Bksarrmo1 Full Member

Oct 1, 2019
  9. Jebbn

Jebbn Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2018
    Australia
    omg r u ok!
    2yrs! What are you? some kind of masochist? Why didnt you stop vaping 2yrs ago if you dont like it?

10. fiddleshe

Dec 11, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's not cool.

11. Bksarrmo1

Bksarrmo1 Full Member

Oct 1, 2019
    Just because I stopped vaping, it still damaged the nerves! So, to answer your question, no, I’m not a masochist!! The damage is done, thank you

12. Jebbn

Apr 2, 2018
    Australia
    You said, "but I am going to give up vaping".
    My question was why did you vape for 2yrs while having this problem which caused you so much pain.
    What country are you from?

13. TrollDragon

TrollDragon ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    :pop:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. jandrew

jandrew Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    Winnipeg
    So, you quit smoking, started vaping, had all your teeth removed with many numbing injections, and you were fitted for dentures ... and shortly thereafter you began experiencing BMS. Correct?

I am sure that sucks ... a lot.

Certainly you should try giving up vaping to see if it helps, but I would be hesitant to attribute it to vaping at this point. However, it could possibly be a rare reaction to one of the ingredients.

It seems the causes of BMS are rather mysterious, but things affecting the nerves in the oral cavity are implicated --- which might point to the extractions and numbing injections. Also, allergic reactions to materials in dentures have been implicated. Other conditions have also been implicated (diabetes, thyroid issues). Also, once the pain starts, it may continue even if the original cause is found and addressed (neurogenic pain can be like that). So, even if it were a reaction to the dentures (and you say wearing them makes it worse), not wearing them won't necessarily make it go away.

If nothing else, and I'm sure you've read and tried everything over the past couple years, I do hope you find some some relief for the symptoms.

• Like Like x 2
  15. fiddleshe

Dec 11, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    My mom says vaping makes her mouth itch. That's the closest I can come to helping you.

16. Bksarrmo1

Bksarrmo1 Full Member

Oct 1, 2019
    My bad. Meant to say, I have given up vaping. Since you are not familiar with BMS, you wouldn’t understand. So, just ignore my thread please. I am from The USA, Texas to be exact!!

17. TrollDragon

TrollDragon ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Dec 3, 2014
    NS, Canada
    You can reply in the messages that you quote, just start typing after the last [/QUOTE]

Just sayin' ;)

• Like Like x 2
  18. fiddleshe

Dec 11, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Dont get frustrated and leave just because you havent found fellow sufferers yet.

19. Jebbn

Apr 2, 2018
    Australia
    I am quite aware of BMS. Maybe if you try unflavoured you wont suffer from it. Certain flavourings and additives used in food can cause it.
    Ill fitting dentures and compounds used in the manufacture of dentures can also cause it. I have experience with this.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Georgia Boy

Georgia Boy Super Member

Jun 28, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    I don't believe I have ever heard of this sorry. My advice as always seek Medical Advice from a qualified Doctor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.