BMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bksarrmo1

Oct 1, 2019
Hi All,
A little back story. Smoke half a pack a day, 25 years or so. Around the same time I quit, started vaping, I also had all my teeth extracted for dentures. Within a week of starting vaping/ teeth extracted using many numbing injections, I developed Burning Mouth Syndrome. ONE of these factors caused it. I am now miserable, with not much hope of ever being able to wear my dentures, as they make the burn WAY worse, but I am going to give up vaping, as it has been linked to BMS. Another person who has same issue contacted the CDC, and they want to hear from anyone like me. Any others with this issue?

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
Uh, when you have a tooth extracted, dentists usually tell you NOT to suck anything for a good while; until it heals. Cigarettes, straws and I am more than sure that would include vaping. Because it causes dry socket, which is painful as all hell.

Bksarrmo1

Oct 1, 2019
Uh, when you have a tooth extracted, dentists usually tell you NOT to suck anything for a good while; until it heals. Cigarettes, straws and I am more than sure that would include vaping. Because it causes dry socket, which is painful as all hell.

This was 2 years ago, so, it’s not dry socket

Last edited by a moderator:

Bksarrmo1

Oct 1, 2019
Ive had dry socket more than a few times from smoking/vaping after extraction. It's painful as hell. I dont know if that's what your experiencing. If so I'm sorry.
Ive had dry socket more than a few times from smoking/vaping after extraction. It's painful as hell. I dont know if that's what your experiencing. If so I'm sorry.

No dry socket. Continuous burn, for 2 years

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
Just because I stopped vaping, it still damaged the nerves! So, to answer your question, no, I’m not a masochist!! The damage is done, thank you
You said, "but I am going to give up vaping".
My question was why did you vape for 2yrs while having this problem which caused you so much pain.
What country are you from?

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
So, you quit smoking, started vaping, had all your teeth removed with many numbing injections, and you were fitted for dentures ... and shortly thereafter you began experiencing BMS. Correct?

I am sure that sucks ... a lot.

Certainly you should try giving up vaping to see if it helps, but I would be hesitant to attribute it to vaping at this point. However, it could possibly be a rare reaction to one of the ingredients.

It seems the causes of BMS are rather mysterious, but things affecting the nerves in the oral cavity are implicated --- which might point to the extractions and numbing injections. Also, allergic reactions to materials in dentures have been implicated. Other conditions have also been implicated (diabetes, thyroid issues). Also, once the pain starts, it may continue even if the original cause is found and addressed (neurogenic pain can be like that). So, even if it were a reaction to the dentures (and you say wearing them makes it worse), not wearing them won't necessarily make it go away.

If nothing else, and I'm sure you've read and tried everything over the past couple years, I do hope you find some some relief for the symptoms.

Bksarrmo1

Oct 1, 2019
You said, "but I am going to give up vaping".
My question was why did you vape for 2yrs while having this problem which caused you so much pain.
What country are you from?

My bad. Meant to say, I have given up vaping. Since you are not familiar with BMS, you wouldn’t understand. So, just ignore my thread please. I am from The USA, Texas to be exact!!

fiddleshe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
My bad. Meant to say, I have given up vaping. Since you are not familiar with BMS, you wouldn’t understand. So, just ignore my thread please. I am from The USA, Texas to be exact!!
Dont get frustrated and leave just because you havent found fellow sufferers yet.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
I am quite aware of BMS. Maybe if you try unflavoured you wont suffer from it. Certain flavourings and additives used in food can cause it.
Ill fitting dentures and compounds used in the manufacture of dentures can also cause it. I have experience with this.

• Informative
Reactions: Horselady154
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread