Can I Vape an E-Cigar After Implants - and When?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapingCigars

Nov 3, 2020
I just received an "All in 6" hybrid denture prosthesis for my uppers a week ago. Without going into details of the cause, I will just say gum disease has run in my family and my maternal grandmother and aunt both had their teeth pulled and traditional dentures put in from a relatively young age. So I guess I drew the short stick as well. So here's my situation. Prior to my surgery and implants a week ago, I was a weekend cigar smoker, with one cigar a day, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday afternoons. Obviously I miss it but smoking a cigar now during the "osseointegration" (bonding/growing) phase of the implants to bone tissue will, at best, impede or at least slow down that progress, and, at worse, could cause implant failure. So I am not sure when I can have a cigar again, but certainly not during the first couple of months. The time from now until I get my permanent prothesis will be four to six months. So maybe for Christmas I can have just one (I'll be pretty please asking my prosthodontist)?

That brings me to a Plan B, if my Plan B will be safe or not. I've read about a lot of "E-Cigars", or at least vaping devices with juices that provide a cigar like taste, appropriate nicotine, and lot of "smoke". Does such an animal exist? I can tell you one thing I cannot stand about vaping, having tried it a bit in the past, is the slightly sweet taste. Hopefully the cigar juice is different. I want that sort of vaping experiencing to mimic, as best possible, an actual cigar.

Finally, what are the documented dangers to implants from vaping during the recovery/healing period? And again, this would be weekend evenings only, with a couple of drinks. I imagine this still couldn't safely take place until some point until the first couple of months post surgery. I appreciate your constructive feedback, and thank you.

Storm52

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Shreveport, LA
Sorry to hear about your dental issues, but hopefully the final result will be worth the pain and recovery.
Nicotine use in any form, especially with osteo recovery and healing, is not recommended. Nicotine causes vasodilation in the skeletal tissue, taking it longer to heal.
That said, there are several vape devices and NET or tobacco flavored juices that might satisfy you. Unfortunately, I'm not a NET (naturally extracted tobacco) or tobacco juice user. A member will certainly see your post and offer specific suggestions. Welcome to the forum.

VapingCigars

Nov 3, 2020
Sorry to hear about your dental issues, but hopefully the final result will be worth the pain and recovery.
Nicotine use in any form, especially with osteo recovery and healing, is not recommended. Nicotine causes vasodilation in the skeletal tissue, taking it longer to heal.
That said, there are several vape devices and NET or tobacco flavored juices that might satisfy you. Unfortunately, I'm not a NET (naturally extracted tobacco) or tobacco juice user. A member will certainly see your post and offer specific suggestions. Welcome to the forum.
Thank you for the insights. With respect to the osteointegration of bone to implants, I don't want to impede that growth. As for vaping vs cigars, in either case it would be for a couple of hours each weekend night. I'm not sure if that would be enough to cause a significant risk or not. Thanks also for the mention of the NET, which I wasn't aware of. I have also had other forum members suggest using a higher nicotine level in the beginning, then back off later, so that I wouldn't vape as much. I'm not sure I understand that rationale. When I would enjoy a cigar, I would take a draw perhaps once minute, sometimes longer. Never a constant puffing, like a cigarette smoker. Plus with me vaping, like a cigar, I wouldn't not inhale, just mouth draw and some retrohale. Thanks again.

Reactions: Storm52

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread