The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Boiling Point Calculator?

Discussion in 'General E-Liquid Discussion' started by Gentle Smoke, Mar 26, 2019.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Gentle Smoke

Gentle Smoke Senior Member

Jan 31, 2019
    Seen a post herein show boiling points of different mixes but, its limited. I'm presently vaping 12.5/87.5 pg/vg w/ 7% whiskey. Plan on dumping the alcohol and going straight water. Just the same, does anyone know of a calculator or detailed chart?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Anise

Anise Vaping Master ECF Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Southern Louisiana USA
    Its easy. Once you start yelling at everyone you've reached your boiling point. Oh you're talking about eliquid. :facepalm: Sorry.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Mordacai

Mordacai Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    Gentle Smoke, MDSS (Material Data Saftey Sheet) and the likes can be helpful. Can't remember what the chemistry ones are called though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bolivar

Bolivar Super Member ECF Veteran

Remember that stated boiling points are at sea level. Altitude increase lowers the boiling point.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. GOMuniEsq

GOMuniEsq Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    Out of curiosity, what good would knowing the boiling point of the e-liquid do you? During use it only heats to 100°C at which point the water in the e-liquid flash boils and ejects the e-liquid as a fog of tiny droplets.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gentle Smoke

Jan 31, 2019
    So Esq stands for Esquire? I'll spare you the legal opinion jokes. Before I answer you question, let me tell you of the post I just wrote. I call it the distillation problem. As I vape (TC Mode) my etoh - h20 - pg - vg mix, clearly they are disappearing in order of boiling point. So saying that I'm always at 100c isn't correct. Yes, when there's water still in the mix, I sense a lower temperature. However, there is a combined solution boiling point that I think I should hit to get a uniform vaporization (although I take it that you would argue against this). And, ultimately why I want to know the boiling point is to make a judgement as to whether my TCR is set correctly.

• Like Like x 2
  7. GOMuniEsq

GOMuniEsq Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 25, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah I picked a pretty stupid nick when I joined back in 2012. I don't really remember what I was thinking lol. I am definitely not a lawyer.

Looks like I found your other thread and will talk there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. charlie1465

charlie1465 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Gentle Smoke

Jan 31, 2019
    Hello Charlie. It would help if you paid the $50 to access the full article :). But thanks for trying. I wonder why nobody is promoting boiling point calculators or charts. It seems to be an essential vaping parameter.

• Like Like x 1
  10. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    I am going to say that probably it is because safe temperature ceilings have pretty much been established for most eliquid, in general.

Do note my "in general" but for the majority of cases, that may well be enough specificity-- for them. IDK I'm just hazarding a guess.

Anna

11. Gentle Smoke

Jan 31, 2019
    Safety is one thing, flavor is another. And as you know form my "Distillation Problem" post, I'm concerned about vaping my components evenly. I believe that requires that you set your temp to BP in TC mode. Anything more is overkill and less leads to uneven vaporization.

• Creative Creative x 1