• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Bonkers, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nighthawk

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
Southeast Texas
Pretty sure I hit the qualifications for Bonkers today. Go ahead. Ask me why there is a ducking in my parakeet cage. With the parakeets still in it!
Ok, I'll tell you anyway.....

First I have to set the background, otherwise it makes no sense.... lol
I live in the city. Within sight of the house there is a fried chicken place, a mortuary and several stop n go gas stations that cook fried foods. I have been trying for several years now to raise chickens in the backyard. Between dog attacks, a hawk attack, cat attacks and traffic things have not gone well. Living this close to so many food places, there are lots and lots of rats outside. They decided they liked chicken dinner. A lot. and chicken feed, and chicken bedding and so on. Now I have no beef with rats as a race, (big points for the pun!) as I have in the past raised and bred fancy rats as pets. Wild city rats are a whole other issue, however. So when my traps came up empty, and the cats could not keep up with the volume, I did the awful.... I poisoned them. and gas bombed them and packed their holes shut. and I ran out of chickens.
After a few months, nagging children convinced me to try again. ok, so I bought 6 ducklings from the feed store and put them on the screened in side porch. no good. the rats chewed in and I lost 3 of them. one thing and another and I repaird the outside chicken run and put the remaining ducks out there. One of the ducks had a lame leg from a rat attack. They were a bit bigger, and I had hopes they'd be ok. and for a little while they were.
Then the attacks started again! One duck was bitten in the head pretty badly and we brought it in to try and nurse it back. After a few days, it was over. So now I had 2 remaining ducks. Today the kids go out to feed and the lame duck was dead., no marks on the body. Don't know exactly what happened.
And THAT is why I have a duck in my parakeet cage. and yes, I have in fact looked online for 'duck diapers' and priced them. Actually they are chicken diapers, but that's kinda odd don't you think? I'm not entirely sure how it's going to go over with the cats, but when the duck gets bigger, it won't be that much of an issue.
Honestly, I don't know how these things happen to me!!!

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
If you decide to keep the duck and want to return it outside when it gets bigger, there's one simple solution; get a gosling as well and raise them together. Geese are typically kept with chickens to run off stray cats and to kill rats as well as snakes. When raised from babies around people they become very loving and make fantastic guard dogs... or guard geese as the case may be. Either way you go though, good luck with your funny looking parakeet. :lol:

jude8753

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2010
PA
I can see ducks on a farm, but not in the city. The girl next door has a pair and they stink like crazy and the drake flies over our fence and my dogs try to eat him, it's a freaking mess. The duck lays its eggs right next to our fence and usually there are piles of them just laying there rotting and stinking. Did you know they can live for 30 years? Don't know if I can stand it and I hate that I can smell so much better now that I vape, YUCK. :)

Nighthawk

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
Southeast Texas
Sad news. The last duck did not make it either. I have no idea why. It was fine when I went to bed.... sigh.
I don't like having this many rats living this close to the house either. I do have 6 cats now since I could not find homes for 5 of the kittens. Mama cat always killed a lot of them outside, but she doesn't like to leave the house lately. I know she would take care of any that were dumb enough to come inside the house.
I always kept my critters' area clean, so no nasty smells. that's just part of good management practices. I used to have 2 banty roosters that had crow-offs every morning, and whenever the mood struck. I figured it was fair to get the neighbrs up at the edge of dawn as they kept me up all night with their loud music & crack-smoking antics..... If any of them flew over the fence and the neighbors' dog got them, I was never upset. MY chicken flew over the fence, what else was a neighbor's dog going to do but eat it??? Natural selection in action.
When I had gotten the ducks originally, they were going to be going into the freezer for xmas dinner. This whole city living thing really really stinks. I so do not belong here!!!

Nighthawk

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2010
Southeast Texas
StormFinch, did you know there is an arkansas vapers' forum here? Natural State Vapers. Come Join!
I have only had bad personal expereinces with geese. When I was a kid, there were a pair that lived in the pasture where I kept my horse. mean & nasty tempered little monsters. Some of the other horses would chase them around because they were so rotten. Being 'goosed' by a real goose Hurts! I have however, heard of at least one sweet goose. I thought that one was just a fluke. I will keep in mind now that they must be raised as a pet for a sweet temper and give them a try when I do finally move to the country. :)

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
StormFinch, did you know there is an arkansas vapers' forum here? Natural State Vapers. Come Join!
I have only had bad personal expereinces with geese. When I was a kid, there were a pair that lived in the pasture where I kept my horse. mean & nasty tempered little monsters. Some of the other horses would chase them around because they were so rotten. Being 'goosed' by a real goose Hurts! I have however, heard of at least one sweet goose. I thought that one was just a fluke. I will keep in mind now that they must be raised as a pet for a sweet temper and give them a try when I do finally move to the country. :)

Appointments yesterday, sorry it took me so long to reply.

Yep, I'm a member of the NSV but it stays so quiet and I'm so unpredictable that I don't always get over there like a should.

Sorry to hear you lost the last duckling. It may be time to get the kids a guinea pig or something until you're ready to move away from the rats! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread