booster help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Boosters do not have current limiting. They drop to battery voltage when there's a short. They also have higher battery drain requirements so an IMR cell is required. IMR cells are not protected so it's best to add a PTC fuse.

That's one thing nice about series cells, much less headache when it comes to circuit protection. Buck regulators and linear regulators can limit input current and current demands are lower so protected cells can be used.

You'll need a boost regulator module. You wouldn't be able to build one yourself without some skill in electronics design, definitely not something Radio Shack would be able to fully accomodate. There are not many options. People are mainly using the TI PTN04050C, but there's a few modules you can get on eBay. People have had mixed results with those.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Boosters do not have current limiting. They drop to battery voltage when there's a short. They also have higher battery drain requirements so an IMR cell is required. IMR cells are not protected so it's best to add a PTC fuse.
Interesting, doesn't BreakTru claim all sorts of extended vapes times (6 some hours I think) and DCC capabilities, all on a standard 14500?

You say IMR cells are not protected so "it's best to add a PTC fuse", aren't they in fact already protected with a PTC fuse?

CraigHB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2010
Reno, Nevada
IMR cells are far from impervious to failure. They can go up in flames. I read of that happening to someone with an all mechanical mod here at ECF. The person had her AW IMR 14500 powered mod in a bag and discovered it all burnt and exploded in there.

Most of the ICR cells have a built-in PTC such as the Panasonic NCR18650A. Even so, Panasonic tells you in their literature a protection PCB is required for that cell. I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I'm pretty sure the the AW IMR cells do not have a built-in PTC.

I know of no supply issues running a PTN04050C booster with an IMR 14500 and was not claiming there are any. An IMR 14500 has a drain limit of almost 5A which is enough for 15W of output, more than the PTN04050C booster is capable of putting out.

I was only pointing out there is zero short circuit protection when using a boost regulator with an IMR cell. Chances are probably good that an IMR cell will not go up in flames if shorted, but I would not want to find out the hard way. Why take the risk when a 50 cent part can address any concerns.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Breaktru is not the only one claiming 6 hour vape time using a single 14500 and a 4050.I get 6 plus hours on mine also.

That's right Boomer. I'm getting 6 to 7 1/2 hours on a Trustfire, 900mah (Black & Red). About 4-5 hrs w/ AW IMR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread