Status
Not open for further replies.

Akya2120

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Olympia, Washington
This is still in the works but when it is done I will be sure to post a couple pictures and I'll either sell them or make a how to or both. I don't know if this already exists but I think it's a great idea. It is pretty simple actually. What I'm going to do is make an atomizer extender with a juice bottle in the middle and a needle at the atomizer end. What do you think? It might not be finished for a little while and feel free to one up me and make one first. I'm still thinking of how I am going to wire it, make the whole thing work, be solid, and easily refillable. It might already be a mod too. If the first rendition isn't pretty enough, I'll make a second that is a little less utilitarian and a little more cosmetically nice.

I was going to make a genesis, but this is easier. Probably a good bit cheaper too considering I don't have a lathe or mill.

Hope the name didn't get your hopes up too much.

chuckie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2009
miami fl USA
Build a genesis or a top feeder,you'll be a lot happier.The genesis tastes better and is easily replaced,top feeders work the way an atomizer was designed to work,but don't taste as good as an genesis and cost 3-9$ to replace the atty.Bottom feeders bottom feeders have no redeeming qualities. Good luck.

Akya2120

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Olympia, Washington
So from what I've heard bottom feeders are bad because the juice from the atty gets sucked back into the bottle causing contamination. Well my solution to that is a one way in and a one way out. I have the one way air fill in finished. Easy, no problems now how do I make a one way out? Anyone have an idea? I was thinking a stainless steel ball bearing valve that might work but I could use some ideas if anyone has one. Seemingly the bottle is the hard part of this mod. Makinf the shell to contain the bottle and carry the power is easy. Also does anyone know where to get a good bottom feeder bottle? Like a 3 or 5 ml with a needle tip.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
You stole my idea!!! :)

I just built one of these. You can see my (sloppy) rendition of it near the end of the thread. It vapes great and it doesn't backfeed. Probably because the needle in the atomizer sticks up too far for that to happen.

Anyway, I still have a couple of the 16 ga syringe needles I used and some tubing that can connect them. I was thinking about cutting an extension in half to get the connectors. If you can splice into whatever's in the middle of that extension it'll also save you from having to solder to the center of the connectors which is a PITA. You could do the feeder one of two ways. One way is to put the connectors at either end of the bottle and run wires around the bottle using the same feeding system highping used. That has the disadvantage of making the PV longer and limits the size of the bottle. The other way would be to run a box off to the side, use tubing to connect the bottle to the connector and have the bottle just stick out of the cap. The problem with that is it'll make a difference which hand you use and unless you can come up with some kind of joint that allows you to position it, you really don't have good control of which way it's going to be sticking out. I'm also thinking for this solution, you'll have trouble, if the box is hinged. So, I'm leaning towards the first solution.

I actually happen to have one of those extensions I'm not using. I've been looking around for the appropriate box. It needs to be sturdy plastic, about the size of a double A battery and you need to be able to open it longitudinally. If I can find one, I can build this. If someone can point me to a box like that, I'll build one and I promise that if you build one it'll look better than mine. :)

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
So from what I've heard bottom feeders are bad because the juice from the atty gets sucked back into the bottle causing contamination.
A lot of that boils down to technique. And what's the big deal with the so-called contamination? You are dealing with a closed system. It may seem unsightly but the point is what difference does it make? The 'contamination' is always there. It moving down from the atty, then back up to it changes nothing. It's still there at all times.

Whether you see it or not it's still in the system.

Akya2120

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Olympia, Washington
A lot of that boils down to technique. And what's the big deal with the so-called contamination? You are dealing with a closed system. It may seem unsightly but the point is what difference does it make? The 'contamination' is always there. It moving down from the atty, then back up to it changes nothing. It's still there at all times.

Whether you see it or not it's still in the system.

I am trying tp controll the contamination so that the only that gets contaminated is a little juice beyond the one way valve. So far I can get the air to feed into the bottle without having to draw it through the atty. I just need a one way ss ball bearing valve and I'l make a case and it will be a 510 bottom feeder.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
I am trying tp controll the contamination so that the only that gets contaminated is a little juice beyond the one way valve. So far I can get the air to feed into the bottle without having to draw it through the atty. I just need a one way ss ball bearing valve and I'l make a case and it will be a 510 bottom feeder.
It's still there just hiding behind your one way valve, it's just an outta sight, outta mind thing.

If you want to actually accomplish something you'll need a filter. :)

Akya2120

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Olympia, Washington
So guys I finally did it. It is a extreme prototype, five ml bottle 510 bottom feeder. No more dripping and driving for me :) Next I will install a one way bottle so it will feed until its empty.

2011-04-18 02.21.09.jpg

I know it's a bit rough around the edges. I will be making it look nicer later.

What do you think?

Akya2120

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Olympia, Washington
It has a bottle with an 18ga or 16ga needle held in by one of those white carto caps. I only had wire that was two thin or two thick so I put 12AWG in. The atomizer connection is an adapter and the battery is from a carto. I press fitted the adapter with a vice. The battery terminal I had to epoxy because the carto connectors wouldn't hold up to the press fitting. Unfortunately when I did that I shielded the negative terminal from the shell so I have to make a solder connection which should be no big deal. For the positive terminal at the atomizer end I just took the cable and kinda crimped it on the syringe and it works fine as well as holds the juice bottle when I take it apart. The awesome part about the way I setup the syringe is the cable will hold it in place pretty well but if I have an atty with a different cup depth I can use it. I just have to pull the syringe up.

I'm guessing a check valve is a one way valve? I didn't buy a check valve, I made one which I will be using once I get SS hardware cause I'm pretty sure the stuff I used to make the original was zinc. I'll be going to home depot today for it probably. I will take a some pictures when it is in pieces so you can see what goes into it.

Oh left out one thing. The center tube and the two end pieces are aluminum. I free hand cut the end pieces with a cut off wheel and the tube got cut with a tube cutter.

Hope you like it haha. I do, I have never used a bottom feeder until now but it works great haven't had any leaking problems. Other than putting the bottle in the case I got some on my hand. It's a tight fit with the 12AWG but it works.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
If the juice will only flow one way, air has to replace the juice. How do you reintroduce air into the bottle?

I didn't think of that but, you're right. Earlier in the thread I was questioning the need for a check valve (Yes, a check valve is the proper name for a one-way valve. My engineering background is showing.) but, if you put one in that's liquid tight, it will also be air tight. You will need a second valve to introduce air back into the bottle.

Para

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2010
Texas
I didn't think of that but, you're right. Earlier in the thread I was questioning the need for a check valve (Yes, a check valve is the proper name for a one-way valve. My engineering background is showing.) but, if you put one in that's liquid tight, it will also be air tight. You will need a second valve to introduce air back into the bottle.

You could put in a 2nd check valve, but it's not necessary. Before you build something you might not need, study the design of what you have and see how and where you can allow air back into the bottle.

fonovv1.jpg

Akya2120

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Olympia, Washington
Actually I already figured out the air introduction valve. That was easy. I was trying to make the check valve for the fluid but making a small valve that goes into that tinny tube has proven hard. My attempt tonight failed. Would home depot have a check valve that small? Or anywhere local for that matter?

The tube runs inside with the juice bottle. Thanks for the tip, I'll try that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread