Box mods...Unregulated vs Regulated????

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewCloudzCity

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
On a Cloud Brooklyn, NY
I am looking into buying a box mod for myself. I already have a bunch of high end mech mods and 2 regulated devices ( 1 is 20watt and the other is 30w).
Should I go for a high output regulated device like the IPV 3 150watt/ sigelei 100watt etc or should I go with a dual 18650 unregulated box mod? Which is better and whats the pros cons for each?

Also if I do go with an unregulated box mod, do I go for the dual 18650 in parallel or in series? Whats the difference between the 2? I have an idea but I like to do my research before I jump into anything.

I mostly drip (sub-ohms .2 range maybe a little lower) but i do occasionally like a rba like my fogger or maybe ill buy a kayfun.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I am looking into buying a box mod for myself. I already have a bunch of high end mech mods and 2 regulated devices ( 1 is 20watt and the other is 30w).
Should I go for a high output regulated device like the IPV 3 150watt/ Sigelei 100watt etc or should I go with a dual 18650 unregulated box mod? Which is better and whats the pros cons for each?

Also if I do go with an unregulated box mod, do I go for the dual 18650 in parallel or in series? Whats the difference between the 2? I have an idea but I like to do my research before I jump into anything.

I mostly drip (sub-ohms .2 range maybe a little lower) but i do occasionally like a rba like my fogger or maybe ill buy a kayfun.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Use parallel not series, regardless of regulated or unregulated.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
If you run series, it requires extra safety precautions. Capacitors...

I don't know how the IPV3 is, but I know it's dual series..smy god is triple in series...

However, I feel confident in the IPV3. It's a buck only mod... but that's just my insight.. only time will tell. I don't think I'll consider a smy god until it's out for 6 months.

But unregulated box mods...I need to see them if it's a multi battery in series mod before I say go in that direction.

I love the look of the Kato box.

But get regulated if you're getting a box, imnsho... consistent power, and convenient charging through the mod is such a dream.

If you run series, it requires extra safety precautions. Capacitors...

I don't know how the IPV3 is, but I know it's dual series..smy god is triple in series...

However, I feel confident in the IPV3. It's a buck only mod... but that's just my insight.. only time will tell. I don't think I'll consider a smy god until it's out for 6 months.

But unregulated box mods...I need to see them if it's a multi battery in series mod before I say go in that direction.

I love the look of the Kato box.

But get regulated if you're getting a box, imnsho... consistent power, and convenient charging through the mod is such a dream.

Hmm, even if the unregulated box mod shows really really low voltage drop? Almost none?

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Who cares....with a mech you're dealing with a ton of stuff. Edit- many people think they're getting 100-200 Watts out of their mod...lol. yeah, I've only come across a couple of people that passed my tests...measuring their voltage under load.editedit... and there's a ton of other bs...cleaning (often with some mods), battery performance degrading over time...which effects a mech/unregulated MUCH more.

Since you're asking these questions, get a regulated mod (that is not an insult - I'm not a vaping guru, I just am involved with high voltage for a living=easy transition for me).

My post covers it but again+more:
It's basically plug and play.
No voltage loss..no deciding to change your battery out yet or not, because the energy has dropped.
Much safer (if you get a trusted mod- more on that later)
You don't have to build a new coil to change power levels
Charge in your mod, or on a charger, but I've found my IPV2 to be faster via usb on a good wall wart (1 Amp+).
You can turn it off.
Most all coming out now have warranties, and offer repairs.

I would wait for the IPV3 to come out, before you make a decision...budkiss has one, but it'll be better to have more people chime about it.

Plus, vendors will start getting them...so people with preorders won't have theirs probably by the time you can order them.lol. if it goes like the IPV and IPV2..

I love my IPV2...but the single battery sucks.. I'm sure the IPV3 would be adequate for me...but the smy god has 3 batteries, and it'll set a bucket of liquid on fire...hmmmmm

Last edited:
Who cares....with a mech you're dealing with a ton of stuff. Edit- many people think they're getting 100-200 Watts out of their mod...lol. yeah, I've only come across a couple of people that passed my tests...measuring their voltage under load.

Since you're asking these questions, get a regulated mod (that is not an insult - I'm not a vaping guru, I just am involved with high voltage for a living=easy transition for me).

My post covers it but again+more:
It's basically plug and play.
No voltage loss..no deciding to change your battery out yet or not, because the energy has dropped.
Much safer (if you get a trusted mod- more on that later)
You don't have to build a new coil to change power levels
Charge in your mod, or on a charger, but I've found my IPV2 to be faster via usb on a good wall wart (1 Amp+).
You can turn it off.
Most all coming out now have warranties, and offer repairs.

I would wait for the IPV3 to come out, before you make a decision...budkiss has one, but it'll be better to have more people chime about it.

Plus, vendors will start getting them...so people with preorders won't have theirs probably by the time you can order them.lol. if it goes like the IPV and IPV2..

I love my IPV2...but the single battery sucks.. I'm sure the IPV3 would be adequate for me...but the smy god has 3 batteries, and it'll set a bucket of liquid on fire...hmmmmm

Hmm yeah i was planning to go regulated but mostly unregulated. Only planned on doing that cuz it would be easier. Im nota heavy vaper, only time i would vape sooooo much is when im with my friends who vape also, and im wondering if a descent regulated box would offer the same potential as a unregulated one. I want to be able to use variety of builds. 1 dripper with .4-6 ohms, 1 everyday use at .8-1.1 ohms preferably RBA Tank. That would be like a dream for me. Being able to enjoy super thick clouds for fun and also being able to change tank and enjoy great clouds and also great flavor on the go. Am i making sense? If i'm able to get that ill be content and possibly get another mode opposite to the one i would get

Last edited:

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Totally get you..

Look into the sigelei 100watt and IPV3. . and the IPV2S(if they even released it, they may have just updated the IPV2 from my version's issues).

If you really don't want to have the extra battery capacity and extra power, look into the IPV2 and sigelei 50 Watt. If the price is big enough of a difference...hey, trying to give you the option..and extra work.:)

I only have the IPV2 and my mechs.. My sigelei taj ji little threads stripped, so my origen is the only thing that sits on it/ipv.

Totally get you..

Look into the sigelei 100watt and IPV3. . and the IPV2S(if they even released it, they may have just updated the IPV2 from my version's issues).

If you really don't want to have the extra battery capacity and extra power, look into the IPV2 and sigelei 50 Watt. If the price is big enough of a difference...hey, trying to give you the option..and extra work.:)

I only have the IPV2 and my mechs.. My sigelei taj ji little threads stripped, so my origen is the only thing that sits on it/ipv.

Sigelei 100w is pretty nice and the IPV3 can go up to 150w ? just saw a video of one x)
Im not too familiar with these, my list of the regulated mods are the HexOhm v2 and the Cloud Chasers Inc 120W 20A 6V
Btw, can these vape as much as a unregulated mod?

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
reosmods.com
mechanical single 18650 for Grand or 18500 for Mini2.1
drip without dripping...AKA squonk from onboard 6ml bottle
very low voltage drop (>.2v)
capable of sub-ohm build
run it over with a truck and vape on

I used to build regulated bottomfeeders for myself. I bought a REO Grand and have retired my regulated mods, because the circuits failed or they couldn't stand up to abuse. The unregulated REO does not lose it's oomph until your battery drops below 3.6, but it's time to swap batts anyway. It's the end-game of mod shopping.

reosmods.com
mechanical single 18650 for Grand or 18500 for Mini2.1
drip without dripping...AKA squonk from onboard 6ml bottle
very low voltage drop (>.2v)
capable of sub-ohm build
run it over with a truck and vape on

I used to build regulated bottomfeeders for myself. I bought a REO Grand and have retired my regulated mods, because the circuits failed or they couldn't stand up to abuse. The unregulated REO does not lose it's oomph until your battery drops below 3.6, but it's time to swap batts anyway. It's the end-game of mod shopping.

Are you foreal =o totally forgot bout the REO loli might just go for that tbh, how long does it last for you?

Depend on battery and build. With VTC3 and dual .5ohm= 12-14hrs. With CGR and .6 single= all day until tomorrow morning

DO NOT forget the REO lol!

omg! that is like a godly device LOL i love how u can vape at .5 ohm and last for such a long time. Making me want to get one haha, but idk where to find it. REO site is down still ..

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
^thanks dougie...der. REO check those out too. Can you really push reo's hard though? Like OP requested? I know the new contacts can be pushed at 0.3 Ohm..the originals could potentially collapse at 0.9 Ohm.

But yeah...my dream vape mod- nice feeling, large capacity, and bottom feeding mod..

But yes..it takes a lot of know-how/research, and tinkering/consistent cleaning to get 100% from most mech mods.

A 0.1 Ohm build will pull (at best ) 160 Watts on a mech with a fully charged battery...but it will quickly drop down to ~120 Watts...and less until you have to change the battery.

With a regulated mod..you get the wattage you set from start to finish...or you can change it..

But mech mods look a lot better, and I like a bottom firing tube mod over anything...but if you're getting a box...

Bottom feeder-like a reo... don't know of a bottom feeder that will perform how we want it to.. or regulated.

Again...for aesthetics..kato box mod wins it for me.:)

NewCloudzCity

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
On a Cloud Brooklyn, NY
See im used to vaping on pretty low sub ohm builds on my mech mod. Usually around .18-.2 ohms. So im used to having over 100w vape all the time. I almost generally run drippers. I have 1 tank right now but im looking at getting another bc it is deff more convenient at times. Im looking at either that CCI 120 watt 6 volt mod stated above, or the Sigelei 100w or the IPV 3 for regulated mods Or if I was going to go with unregulated, I was looking at the Hellfire mini which runs 2 18650 in series at 7.2 volts.
IDK which device I should get that would more closely resemble the type of vape im used to. Im thinking its the unregulated. Or the ipv3 with 150 watts of consistant output,

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
See im used to vaping on pretty low sub ohm builds on my mech mod. Usually around .18-.2 ohms. So im used to having over 100w vape all the time. I almost generally run drippers. I have 1 tank right now but im looking at getting another bc it is deff more convenient at times. Im looking at either that CCI 120 watt 6 volt mod stated above, or the Sigelei 100w or the IPV 3 for regulated mods Or if I was going to go with unregulated, I was looking at the Hellfire mini which runs 2 18650 in series at 7.2 volts.
IDK which device I should get that would more closely resemble the type of vape im used to. Im thinking its the unregulated. Or the ipv3 with 150 watts of consistant output,
The thing is, even with a 0.18 ohm coil you're not actually getting 100w. The voltage drop's gonna be massive at that resistance. If you get 3.7 from a fully charged battery (0.5 voltage drop, which would be really good) you're vaping at about 76w. If you get 3.9v (which I'll believe when I see it, and perhaps not even then) you're at 84w.

NewCloudzCity

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
On a Cloud Brooklyn, NY
Im using an Aria Oros and a copper Manhattan the voltage drop is really low on those devices. The oros was tested on Calivapers with some really high tech machines and the drop was somethis crazy like less than >.01
im still torn between a regulated 150watts and dual 18650 series unprotected box mod.

The thing is, even with a 0.18 ohm coil you're not actually getting 100w. The voltage drop's gonna be massive at that resistance. If you get 3.7 from a fully charged battery (0.5 voltage drop, which would be really good) you're vaping at about 76w. If you get 3.9v (which I'll believe when I see it, and perhaps not even then) you're at 84w.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread