Status
Not open for further replies.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Im using an Aria Oros and a copper Manhattan the voltage drop is really low on those devices. The oros was tested on Calivapers with some really high tech machines and the drop was somethis crazy like less than >.01
im still torn between a regulated 150watts and dual 18650 series unprotected box mod.

Voltage drop needs to be tested under load, and in most cases the internal resistance of the battery is a much bigger factor than the resistance of the mod. The lower the resistance of the coil, the higher the voltage drop, and with a 0.18 ohm coil the voltage drop will always be far greater than 0.01v (in fact, due to the internal resistance of the battery 0.01 voltage drop would be impossible even if the mod itself had no resistance at all, which is in itself impossible). Have you checked your voltage drop with an inline volt meter?

Smann245

Aug 16, 2014
USA
Staying with drippers? Unregulated tube, box or REO. Adding a nice rebuildable tank? High power regulated. The nice regulated box with quality Kayfun (or similar) experience is something worth having. Also, 2 batts in series gives you 8.4v. In parallel it's still 4.2v with more available amperage and capacity. Go regulated and get a nice tank you can build. You already have all kinds of dripper, mech stuff.

Last edited:
On an unregulated mod, the only way to increase your wattage is to reduce your resistance. With a regulated mod, you are no longer limited to the battery voltage, so you can hit higher watts with higher resistance builds. This lets you increase the surface area and optimize the efficiency of your coils to get more vapour and flavour.

NewCloudzCity

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
On a Cloud Brooklyn, NY
Even with an unregulated box wired in series? Bc then you can push 7.2-8.4 volts to your coil. which is more than what your going to get on a regulated device. Or am i Mistaken? which very well can be the case.
Im just worried that with an unregulated box in series, im going to have to start building with 28 gauge and higher bc ive heard that it will melt coils below a .6 or something like that.

On an unregulated mod, the only way to increase your wattage is to reduce your resistance. With a regulated mod, you are no longer limited to the battery voltage, so you can hit higher watts with higher resistance builds. This lets you increase the surface area and optimize the efficiency of your coils to get more vapour and flavour.

Even with an unregulated box wired in series? Bc then you can push 7.2-8.4 volts to your coil. which is more than what your going to get on a regulated device. Or am i Mistaken? which very well can be the case.
Im just worried that with an unregulated box in series, im going to have to start building with 28 gauge and higher bc ive heard that it will melt coils below a .6 or something like that.

The basic rule still applies to unregulated box mods with multiple batteries wired in series. To increase the wattage, you have to reduce the resistance. And to decrease the wattage you increase the resistance. That's just basic Ohm's Law. However you are correct in that you would have to build the coils very differently than you would with a single battery unregulated mod or an unregulated mod with batteries in parallel.

NewCloudzCity

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
On a Cloud Brooklyn, NY
But am I going to get the same dense clouds warm to hot vape with a .7ohm coil with a series box pushing 8.4 volts as I would with a .35 ohm coil pushing 4.2 volts on a parallel box?

The basic rule still applies to unregulated box mods with multiple batteries wired in series. To increase the wattage, you have to reduce the resistance. And to decrease the wattage you increase the resistance. That's just basic Ohm's Law. However you are correct in that you would have to build the coils very differently than you would with a single battery unregulated mod or an unregulated mod with batteries in parallel.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
Do series builds...?
1e19a02b2ce1b60776184f87d1048df7.jpg

You like what you like, but I think you'll be surprised comparing 100 Watts on a regulated mod, compared to a mech you think you're getting 100 Watts out of... I don't use anything larger than 24awg..I really just use my 26awg chain-pressed wire at the moment..even at just 50 Watts, I usually take a "dry pull" after I release the fire button...I get a cloud consistent with about 20 Watts on that same build..so larger wire kinda sucks with a lot of heat..and I like to chain vape.

But again....

The IPV3, you have to build at ~0.32 Ohms or lower, to have the full 150 Watt range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread