Braided cotton question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maptec

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2012
Indiana
Alright so this may be a dumb question, but I need to know before I continue to use this. I ordered 1mm braided cotton to use on my rba's. What they didn't put in the description was that it was perle cotton. Of course curiosity lead me to find that this is bathed in sodium hydroxide. It tastes damn good, I just want to be safe about it. Has anyone else had experience with this?

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Alright so this may be a dumb question, but I need to know before I continue to use this. I ordered 1mm braided cotton to use on my rba's. What they didn't put in the description was that it was perle cotton. Of course curiosity lead me to find that this is bathed in sodium hydroxide. It tastes damn good, I just want to be safe about it. Has anyone else had experience with this?

I use DMC 5 embroidery thread (100% cotton) all the time on my RBAs and I love it. I didn't really know what the Perle meant; I was going by the 100% cotton. I don't even boil it (which you could do if you were worried) and I love it. I get absolutely no bad taste from it. Like I said, I love it. I have tried about 6-7 different brands, sizes, etc. of cotton, and a couple sizes of Bamboo, but the DMC 5 Perle cotton is my very favorite. Don't know if this helps or not.

I think the Perle just means it's extra mercerized, which makes it very absorbant. The process that is used to make it doesn't worry me (not sure why...??) I think all that stuff is washed out of it later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread