Brian's Box mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Ahoy!

Our ships carpenter be tearin up the planking to make ye these mods, take a gander lubber!

Seriously tho...

A couple months back I wanted to buy a wooden box mod 'kit' but was unable to find one. After some pondering I decided that I would just throw a wood box mod together myself and be done with it.

I've been working with wood for decades and am an electronics technician, what could be hard about it?

Yeah, right ...

I decided a few weeks into all this, that I would make some extras to help the other modders provide for our ECF members, many who have been unable to get their hands on a wood mod and to help pay for the new tools I just "had" to have :laugh:

After several trial and errors, I have two models to offer and will be selling a few at a time.

Mark-I "Bandit", 3.7V 14500 x 1, 510 atty, 3A button, 2.7"x1.7"x.95" - No safety switch (I unscrew atty a turn if I'm concerned about accidental firing).

30ml bottle for size comparison

All are constructed from Red Oak with 510 atty connectors and black horn switchs.

The burgundy liner is felt and the battery is tightly held inside. After a couple days the battery squishes down the liner and it all fits together even better.

$85.00 for any Mark-I model , with free priority shipping to USA and I will buy insurance.

(Btw, I knocked $40 off the original $125.00 price as I won't be making any more of these).

Mark-II "Misty", 5V 14500 x2, 510 atty, 3A button, 2.9"x2.3"x.85" - No safety switch

Recessed button, difficult to accidentally fire unit.

30ml bottle for size comparison

$110.00 for any Mark-II "Misty" model , with free priority shipping to USA and I will buy insurance.

Contact me at Brian_w001@hotmail.com with item number, alternate choice (if you wish), your shipping address and I will send you a invoice. Please post on the forum your item# and 'Sold' message for other members if possible. Thanks

I have started many more variations with different woods and inlays and am finally having a bit of fun making these after so many weeks of banging my head on the wall.

I may take pre-orders in the future if this works out, but for now the best I can offer is to listen to your suggestions on the forums here.

Btw, 6 month warranty on parts/labor. I will repair or replace unit if necessary.

Wow this is a big post, hope I remembered everything, enough then! Arrrrrrr!

Last edited:

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
To elaborate further and answer a couple E-Mail questions;

The Mark-II is a 5v mod. Like many others I tried various voltage and atty configurations and found that 5v with a standard/regular atty was my 'Sweet Spot'.

I think many others feel the same and there is a definite lack of 5v wooden box mods available.

The Mark-II is not a bottom feeder, as I mainly drip. Also, I wanted a unit that was still nice to look at even with the door off, not to mention the felt lining would quickly soak up any leakage, yuck ..

The finish is Polyurethane, satin finish. After experimenting with various finishes I decided on poly, It doesnt give it a glassy/plastic look and the wood seems to simply 'glow' after a half dozen applications have been hand rubbed in. The sanding has to be near perfect though as any defects are easy to spot with this kind of coating.

Brian

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread