BSD's vertical hollow core Micro Coil build for ARO, Evod, and Protank heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingboomer

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2013
Commerce City, CO
I've successfully dry burned these. What I do is soak for a bit in everclear/PGA or rinse with hot water, allow to dry, dry burn, then rinse again. There's still a bit of funk to the first tank, but it does work.

P.S. here's the link I found when I first tried this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9964m2-IJE

Last edited:

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
I've successfully dry burned these. What I do is soak for a bit in everclear/PGA or rinse with hot water, allow to dry, dry burn, then rinse again. There's still a bit of funk to the first tank, but it does work.

P.S. here's the link I found when I first tried this out: Dry Burning Aspire Nautilus BVC Coils - YouTube

Cool Kingboomer. I'd really like to be able to revive these Aspire's by a simple cleaning process.

One of the benefits of the Kanger/ARO vertical with Rayon is the coils can be completely cleaned and rewicked. Takes me about 15 minutes start to finish to do so. I'm just glad that Aspire now makes a great vertical coil so I have the option to be lazy and just pop in a stock coil and vape on if I'm not in the mood to play.

finagle69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Yep J. Spaced in this application works much better.

Be sure to keep your resistance under 2. Needs all the power the BB can throw at it.

Awesome. Yeah 1.6 to 1.8 Ohms is the target to shoot for to max out the BB. :) I'll give this a shot tomorrow morning. Hopefully I still have some of that Rayon that Jasen sent me... lol

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
OK, so after taking one appart and attempting a rebuild, I've come to the conclusion that it's too big of a PITA to try to rebuild a bvc. As long as these last, I don't mind buying a new one when they finally do burn up!

Totally know where you're coming from. I'm stocked that I can buy these premade now.

Wonder how hard is it to pull the wick out of an Aspire Nautilus without destroying the coil? Wicking and rewicking is cake.

Kingboomer

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2013
Commerce City, CO
Totally know where you're coming from. I'm stocked that I can buy these premade now.

Wonder how hard is it to pull the wick out of an Aspire Nautilus without destroying the coil? Wicking and rewicking is cake.

When they're fouled it's near impossible. I have yet to pull apart a new one. there is a band of some type material around the edge covering the inlet holes, I have no clue what that is. I may try again if it's neccessary, but I'm thinking of sticking with stock otherwise.

P.S. Here's a breakdown of the coil: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boY0UuTggVc

and here's something interesting:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuvA65u6T-Y

I may have to try this with the bvc, it'd make life a lot easier!

Last edited:

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
yeah, my problem was not using enough cotton.

when i first did the build, i super packed a ton of cotton, and it worked well for a month. eventualy it got so gunked that it burned, so i had to rewick it.

every rewicking attempt, i was burning cotton. i figured with a bvc build - it SHOULD be looser so the wick can reach the whole coil rather than just the inside - but apparently not. i was burning the cotton on the sides of the kanger head, where there was no wick slots. i drilled holes so it had 4 wicks holes/slots and it still was burning.

so i searched and searched and came across this... first read - "use more cotton". so i pulled the old build out the drawer and rewicked it with 3x more cotton then i was. - PERFECT. no dry hits, no gurgles, no flooding. currently "breaking" in the cotton flavor, but that should dissapte by the end of the tank :p

MasterofNone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2013
New York
10cc6a52e79cc9f07b05c02f7239b4e2.jpg
0e246304fde1ffb05da1239b51954c96.jpg

Nailed it. 1.5 ohm, running 20 watts through it on this bad boy
954d7f27a49f95321f4a258b933e20ed.jpg

MasterofNone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2013
New York
The flavor can definitely be there... The vapor too. The draw though! Even on the v3 of the aerotank base ( big cyclops hole) the draw is soo stiff. I guess ok just too far into rda's at this point to ever be satisfied with that kind of draw. It amazes me there was a time I thought the evod was too airy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread