Status
Not open for further replies.

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada
Why not?
Simple. Money.

Smoking rates are reducing year after year. The cessation methods vary plus more smokers are dying than new smokers being created. vaping is a new stream of users to continue sales after cessation.

Next factor is margins. In Toronto Canada, a pack of cigarettes is $10-15 depending on size, brNd and store. BT probably gets no more than $2 of that when you back out retailer markup and insane taxation.

A BT pod, the Vype ( Vuse in the US) sells pods for $6.50 each (2 pack for $13) which does not have several hundred percent excise and sin taxes. Only sales tax which was not added here. BT is probably taking $3-4 of that $6.50.

So why would they kill vaping?

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Why not?
Simple. Money.

Smoking rates are reducing year after year. The cessation methods vary plus more smokers are dying than new smokers being created. vaping is a new stream of users to continue sales after cessation.

Next factor is margins. In Toronto Canada, a pack of cigarettes is $10-15 depending on size, brNd and store. BT probably gets no more than $2 of that when you back out retailer markup and insane taxation.

A BT pod, the Vype ( Vuse in the US) sells pods for $6.50 each (2 pack for $13) which does not have several hundred percent excise and sin taxes. Only sales tax which was not added here. BT is probably taking $3-4 of that $6.50.

They don't want to kill it, they want to OWN it.

Cheers
I

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Why not?
Simple. Money.

Smoking rates are reducing year after year. The cessation methods vary plus more smokers are dying than new smokers being created. Vaping is a new stream of users to continue sales after cessation.

Kill off all vaping they do not control. Oh heck yeah. They want to OWN it not kill it

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Why not?
Simple. Money.

Smoking rates are reducing year after year. The cessation methods vary plus more smokers are dying than new smokers being created. Vaping is a new stream of users to continue sales after cessation.

Based on those numbers it’s a reasonable question.
The numbers are a big question though.
They’ve got better numbers than just guesses though and they may not be the same. Also they used to own right near 100% of the cigarette market. What percentage of the e-cigarette market do they own?
They can’t manufacture their own gear. They have to buy an old model someone is willing to sell, manufacture it over seas, import it, run it through at least two levels of distribution, and then deal with marketing. I would be surprised if they take more than 50¢ from a pack of cigarettes. Possibly more than that from a vape, but not a whole lot more. How long does a user who might buy a pack of cigarettes a day use a vape for?

Plus BT has been investing extremely heavily in newly legalized stuff, and just lately an attempt to tie the two together is being made.

Reactions: DeloresRose

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
They don't want to kill it, they want to OWN it.

Cheers
I

Eggszackly!

They are trying to deal with the economy of the technology. It's entirely too simple to make expensive, so they have to demonize it first before they can apply sin taxes to it.

The real sin is the greed involved!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Why not?
Simple. Money.

It is about money, but not the way you think. Go to You Tube. Search for a video "FDA, living long enough to become the villian". It explains the Tobacco Agreement Act. BT gives the Fda a percentage of their profits every year. Goverment takes that money and buys bond loans and spends it all thinking the money they get from BT is always going to come in. But, for the last 10 years, tobacco profits have plummeted, so the gov gets less and less money than they were expecting. Those bond loans are now due and no money to pay for them. Master Plan now is to get more people to smoke to boost profits up like the old days. How? Get rid of a competing industry (vapimg) that benefits both BT, BP, and the governmemt. This master plan began before the Deeming. Its too clear now. They used Juul as the pawn in the plan. The save the children because of flavored liquids was only a distraction for the real reason. The THC controversy was an unexpected accelerant to speed up the process.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Tobacco cigarettes are stiil more profitable than vaping. Just compare how much we vapers spend monthly compared to what we spent on cigarettes. I think the master plan is to increase tobacco sales by banning vapes, or at least control the vape market, also.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
As screwed up as our government is I just can't buy into this conspiracy theory about the FDA being in cahoots with big tobacco.
Even when you learn that the FDA receives most of their operating budget from Big Tobacco and Big Pharma? Surely you aren't that naive? There is a serious conflict of interest here.

Who Has The Most Tobacco Debt?

71213948_10218453012169833_6001133583933112320_n.jpg

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
As screwed up as our government is I just can't buy into this conspiracy theory about the FDA being in cahoots with big tobacco.

I think a Lot depends on How one defines "In Cahoots".

And whether we are talking Historically, in the Near Past, or in the Present Day.

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
Everybody keeps talking about how it's the money. Smoking rates have been dropping for years and will continue to drop whether vaping is around or not. The tobacco money will continue to drop. If it was about the money governments would not only leave vaping intact, they would encourage it and tax it just like tobacco.

This is about do-gooder liberals (and it makes me mad because I am a do-gooder liberal) trying to be nannies for everyone and big-mouth politicians vying for attention.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... If it was about the money governments would not only leave vaping intact, they would encourage it and tax it just like tobacco.

Who said they are Not going to do just that?

But let's Not get the Cart before the Horse. Wouldn't it make More Sense for the Feds to wait until the FDA Decimates the e-Cigarette Market so there is a only a Handful of Simple to Tax Products?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Everybody keeps talking about how it's the money. Smoking rates have been dropping for years and will continue to drop whether vaping is around or not. The tobacco money will continue to drop. If it was about the money governments would not only leave vaping intact, they would encourage it and tax it just like tobacco.

This is about do-gooder liberals (and it makes me mad because I am a do-gooder liberal) trying to be nannies for everyone and big-mouth politicians vying for attention.
Evidence seems to be scarce for both options.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Nope. The more vapers and vape stores and vape products out there the more money they make. Why tear it all down and start over?
You're way out of the loop.

Big Tobacco, Big Pharma, and the government are counting on a ban on e-cigarettes to boost their profits. "No Flavored Vapes" will destroy the the vape industry. Shops can't survive with only nicotine flavored e-liquid to sell.

No flavored vapes means many vapers will go back to smoking.
No vapes means no competition from e-cigarettes, so more profits for nic gum, patches, Chantix, Wellbutrin, etc.

This has been the Master Plan from the beginning of the FDA Deeming Regulations.

It is what it is. What don't you understand?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread