Vermont passes 92-percent excise tax on e-cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
And by the time an Elections rolls around, Nobody remembers who Voted for what. Because 99.99% of the People Don't know what their Reps voted for in the 1st Place.

I read that Winston Churchill said something like... the best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.

But we've got it pretty good compared to others and we'll miss our freedoms when alien robots enslave us and harvest our planet's resources. I'll be okay since I've stockpiled vapes in my underground bunker but the rest of you are toast! ;)

Yes, I am joking. Sometimes it takes less than 5 minutes with an average voter. ;)

The Churchill quote is real.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rossum

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2014
central Virginia
Total BS ... this is nothing more than a money grab pure and simple. What's so disgusting is the impunity in which they are allowed to tax some products more than others. It shouldn't be allowed period. What's next, a sin tax on Twinkies because they are fattening and have been proven to increase the chances of childhood obesity?
Look it up ,but in 09 a bill was introduced in Congress to tax the carbon dioxide humans exhale as a carbon tax.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I read that Winston Churchill said something like... the best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.

But we've got it pretty good compared to others and we'll miss our freedoms when alien robots enslave us and harvest our planet's resources. I'll be okay since I've stockpiled vapes in my underground bunker but the rest of you are toast! ;)

Yes, I am joking. Sometimes it takes less than 5 minutes with an average voter. ;)

The Churchill quote is real.

I guess I have just Followed this stuff for Too Long.

But once, Just Once, I would like to read about some Outrageous Tax Legislation that is working it's way thru a Legislature and then read that there is going to be an Organized Rally where a 100K Signature Petition is going to be presented to the Governor.

Kinda a Bucket List thing I guess.

Last edited:

Philabos

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
I guess I have just Followed this stuff for Too Long.

But once, Just Once, I would like to read about some Outrageous Tax Legislation that is working it's way thru a Legislature and then read that there is going to be an Organized Rally where a 100K Signature Petition is going to be presented to the Governor.

Kinda a Bucket List thing I guess.
Sure, petitions mean well, but they are a waste of time.
When you can deliver checks like BP, they will pay attention.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Sure, petitions mean well, but they are a waste of time.
When you can deliver checks like BP, they will pay attention.

Trust Me...

You put 100K Signatures on a Petition, and Elected Officials will take Serious Notice.

Because they know that for Every 1 Person who will spend 60 Seconds out of their Busy Life to Sign a Petition, there of 4 or 5 who Feel the Same Way but Don't because they Don't Think it does anything.

Think of it as Statistical Sampling.

And the 100K is a the Hook to get the Media to take you (Relatively) Serious.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Aim High.

Bunch of People who Vape.
Bunch of People who's Husband/Wife Vapes.
Bunch of People who have a Family Member, Friend, Co-Worker who Vapes.
Bunch of Tobacco Users.
Bunch of People who don't get off on Excessive Taxation.
Bunch of People who would like to see Less Government verses More Government.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Aim High.
That's generally not necessary unless your target is out past 200-300 yards. :sneaky:

Bunch of People who don't get off on Excessive Taxation.
I'm not sure you're going to find many of them in Vermont -- they've all moved next door to New Hampshire. ;)

Reactions: United States

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
They foul their nest. Move to a new nest. Proceed to foul the new nest.

All those crazy taxes sent them away from VT to VA and NC where they voted for high tax and spend politicians and moved into subdivisions with plastic houses all crammed together, which in turn raised taxes and fees in VA and NC.

Yankee go home.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Parents should be responsible for their kids. The vaping industry has been (unfairly) targeted for so many of the wrong reasons.

Also, Big Tobacco still wields ($$$) power although they are getting into the game and trying to take over as evidenced by their stake in Juul.

It also seems that our Legislators jump on the bandwagon without fully investigating and/or because they have hidden interests to benefit them (my opinion and I do have some proof in other states). Again back to the almighty dollar.

The thing that bothers me the most is that parents are responsible for the kids --or should be. I do understand having some controls - like showing ID and such. Just like alcohol and just like regular analogs and just like adult-oriented places. It seems so simple to me. Have ID required and target the businesses that violate.

My other thought is that since social media exploded it seems that whatever group screams the loudest - whether they are right or wrong --- gets the action. A practice I just abhor.

Do not punish everyone else! Last I checked this was still the land of the free.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
If you want to keep vapes out of the hands of minors then you improve age verification and make sure that it is implemented by dealers. And you facilitate safe trading and recycling of used vapes so that they don't end up in the wrong hands.

If you don't care about any of that and you just want to cash in on a multi billion dollar industry then you charge a 92% tax. It won't stop kids, especially kids from middle and higher income families, from spending their parents money as if it grows on trees. It will stop poor people who want to quit smoking but can't afford a 92% tax on vapes.

Last edited:

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
So uh..what if you present an ID to prove you're not a teen? Teens are already banned from purchase till they're 18 (soon to be 21). What really p****d me off was those idiots in the House saying that vaping was the most dangerous substance their teens face....so obviously it's MUCH worse than all that stuff that's causing overdose deaths. Lastly, but it's OK to use for NON-nicotine purposes? I mean, REALLY???

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Government finds or defines a "problem". Government then begins to restrict the freedom of everyone who is not responsible for the problem. We let the government get aways with it.

Parents should be responsible for their kids. The vaping industry has been (unfairly) targeted for so many of the wrong reasons.

Also, Big Tobacco still wields ($$$) power although they are getting into the game and trying to take over as evidenced by their stake in Juul.

It also seems that our Legislators jump on the bandwagon without fully investigating and/or because they have hidden interests to benefit them (my opinion and I do have some proof in other states). Again back to the almighty dollar.

The thing that bothers me the most is that parents are responsible for the kids --or should be. I do understand having some controls - like showing ID and such. Just like alcohol and just like regular analogs and just like adult-oriented places. It seems so simple to me. Have ID required and target the businesses that violate.

My other thought is that since social media exploded it seems that whatever group screams the loudest - whether they are right or wrong --- gets the action. A practice I just abhor.

Do not punish everyone else! Last I checked this was still the land of the free.

mountainbikermark

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2014
central Virginia
Do any of you really believe it's about minors getting vaping products? If so I've got some ocean front property in North Dakota for sale at a reasonable price.
It's about the Benjamin's. The more they can rake in the more they can use to enslave the population with more free stuff to ensure re-election

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Philabos

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2017
  • Agree
Reactions: CMD-Ky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread