buck/boost circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

XeniaVaper

Aug 13, 2015
people seem to think that running a low resistance atomized on vv mod pulls a higher drain from the battery than a high resistance atomizer.
this makes no sense to me, though I have seen it mentioned here several times.
I understand ohms law, and that the atty is getting higher current, but .5 ohm at 30 watts draws7.7 admits at 3.9 volts, and 1.6 ohm at 30 ways draws 4.5 amps at 6.7 volts. Ok higher current across the coil... Either way the battery puts out the same voltage( 4.2) and that equals 30 watts at 7.1 amps. Conservation of energy law says the input wattage would have to be the same(well slightly higher, to account for inefficiency in the circuit) as the output voltage. It's not as though the 1.6 ohm coil will make your battery produce a higher voltage.
correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel this is a great misinformation being spread

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Use of higher ohms usually is accompanied by use of lower Watts, thus the difference you are calling miss-information. Battery last longer because less power is being consumed.
:D

An 18650 2250mah last me 3x longer running a 1.7ohm Kayfun as running a .48ohm Orchid tank.
Difference - 7.5w vs. 30w

XeniaVaper

Aug 13, 2015
I would think higher ohms would go with higher wattage. It does in my case. But I was definitely referring to having read several posts insinuating that a lower resistance coil would create a higher drain at the same power level.
I read, this forum quite a bit, long before having registered even.
on a couple occasions it was regarding the cdr limit of the battery, which is why I had to pipe up.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I would think higher ohms would go with higher wattage. It does in my case. But I was definitely referring to having read several posts insinuating that a lower resistance coil would create a higher drain at the same power level.
I read, this forum quite a bit, long before having registered even.
on a couple occasions it was regarding the cdr limit of the battery, which is why I had to pipe up.

I would think you may have been reading some Newbee post. Most of us that have been around DC batteries a bit know better.

Also, 0.1ohm common 150w+ on a fresh dual battery mechanical mod.
Don't think you want to try that on a 2.0ohm+ setup. Generally a MTL build.

Fit_Four_Life

Verified Member
Jun 14, 2015
people seem to think that running a low resistance atomized on vv mod pulls a higher drain from the battery than a high resistance atomizer.
this makes no sense to me, though I have seen it mentioned here several times.
I understand ohms law, and that the atty is getting higher current, but .5 ohm at 30 watts draws7.7 admits at 3.9 volts, and 1.6 ohm at 30 ways draws 4.5 amps at 6.7 volts. Ok higher current across the coil... Either way the battery puts out the same voltage( 4.2) and that equals 30 watts at 7.1 amps. Conservation of energy law says the input wattage would have to be the same(well slightly higher, to account for inefficiency in the circuit) as the output voltage. It's not as though the 1.6 ohm coil will make your battery produce a higher voltage.
correct me if I'm wrong, but I feel this is a great misinformation being spread

If you are talking about using a variable wattage mod set at a specific wattage, then a 0.5 ohm coil will drain the battery just as quickly as a 1.5 ohm coil (NOT including the inefficiency of the buck/boost circuit)

You can check yourself with this handy calculator here :

Battery drain | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

The main factor in determining battery life is wattage. Watts are the rate at which energy is generated or consumed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread