Bud Atomizer problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

stringchopper

Aug 1, 2011
Indiana
I originally posted this on the new members forum - the one person who helped with my questions was unfamiliar with the Bud atomizers, so I'm reposting here with a slight edit.

====

Been at this for about 6 weeks, started on the Janty Ego-T, and it was great til it started leaking everywhere.

So, I bought the Bud Sapphire Hybrid Tank / Atomizer. It creates a lot of vapor and I can taste the juice fairly well, but I also get a weird taste, that I will try to describe. I get the same taste in all 3 atomizers that I received, each with a different ejuice. The taste is something like the smell of a wet dog on a rainy day, but not as strong. Imagine soaking a piece of linen cloth in stale water, then storing the damp cloth in a dark container for 3 weeks, then vaping it.

I recently got the same taste from my 6-week old Ego-T attys after popping off the wick/puncture tip, rinsing the atty in water, then immediately dry-burning the unit (with wet coil), rinsing the ash, and dry-burning again. This was an Ego-T atty cleaning procedure found on Youtube. I didn't have this taste in the Ego-T before doing this method.

Strange that I'm getting the same taste from old, badly cleaned Ego-T attys and the new Bud Sapphire attys.

I'm hoping my brief description rings a bell with someone more experienced who can tell me what the problem is and how to fix it.

Many thanks in advance,
Brian

EDIT:
1) Also, I haven't been feeling quite well after vaping on these attys for the evening. Not sure if feeling a bit nauseous is related to the taste from the attys, but I thought it worth mentioning.

2) the Batteries give off a really strong smell - a plastic / acid / metallic smell - the smell fills my office after being left on my desk overnight.

3) At least one of the three atomizers I received produces a popping / crackling sound. This is not the gurgling sound of juice being stuck in the air vent; it seems to be coming from within the atomizer.

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
1) Also, I haven't been feeling quite well after vaping on these attys for the evening. Not sure if feeling a bit nauseous is related to the taste from the attys, but I thought it worth mentioning.

I can't claim familiarity with those atomizers either but, this sounds like you got too much nic. It takes about 2 hours to wear off.

wolfmaster

Jul 25, 2011
Upstate NY
I just got these a week ago. Using with E-Power 18650. First time I filled, it worked great. By the second time I noticed it was making a gurgling sound when vaping. And by the third time, it leaked a lot out of the air holes when filling. I tried the second atomizer, the same thing happened by the second fill. If I'm really careful the fill hole does not become obstructed when filling, then use it a LOT immediately after filling, the issue is minimized but not gone.

I think what's happening is the liquid is just leaking through into the air holes, and also up into the smaller tube that's only supposed to have vapor going through it. I'm just baffled as I cannot find anyone else having these problems. I emailed daniel from gotvapes and the only thing he said is the wick might have become dislodged. Does this make sense, and if so how should I fix it? Any other ideas??

(Otherwise, it's great and exactly what I'm looking for. Much better flavor and TH than anything else I've tried, and I like the large capacity. But, I cannot fill it completely anymore because it leaks faster than I can fill it!)

For those not familiar - Sapphire Bud Atomizer 1.5ml Tank System 510 3.0-3.2ohm -2 PK [gv-sapphirehybridtank510HV-2pk] - $6.95 : GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
I just got these a week ago. Using with E-Power 18650. First time I filled, it worked great. By the second time I noticed it was making a gurgling sound when vaping. And by the third time, it leaked a lot out of the air holes when filling. I tried the second atomizer, the same thing happened by the second fill. If I'm really careful the fill hole does not become obstructed when filling, then use it a LOT immediately after filling, the issue is minimized but not gone.

I think what's happening is the liquid is just leaking through into the air holes, and also up into the smaller tube that's only supposed to have vapor going through it. I'm just baffled as I cannot find anyone else having these problems. I emailed daniel from gotvapes and the only thing he said is the wick might have become dislodged. Does this make sense, and if so how should I fix it? Any other ideas??

(Otherwise, it's great and exactly what I'm looking for. Much better flavor and TH than anything else I've tried, and I like the large capacity. But, I cannot fill it completely anymore because it leaks faster than I can fill it!)

For those not familiar - Sapphire Bud Atomizer 1.5ml Tank System 510 3.0-3.2ohm -2 PK [gv-sapphirehybridtank510HV-2pk] - $6.95 : GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more

I've had similar problems with one of the four I've tried. GV was supposed to be releasing a new Sapphire soon with some small modifications and perhaps this has been fixed. If you take the sticker off, you will see that yes, juice is getting into the air tube and this is the gurgling. What I've done is just fill it up not all the way, about 2/3rds and the gurgling is minimized. I hope this helps.

wolfmaster

Jul 25, 2011
Upstate NY
Last time I filled, it didn't even attempt to leak, not one drop. It sat upright overnight, not one drop. Then having it in my pocket while walking today, then I used it and actually inhaled liquid, and screwed my atomizer cover off to find a bunch had leaked. I guess there's just something loose in there that can fall in and out of place. So... if I was SURE a revised model had fixed this issue I would buy it. I agree I like the ease of use.

Never had a burning taste though, with two different PV's/batteries

Briar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
A fool on the hill in Deposit, NY

This is exactly what happened to my Sapphires as well. Both of them. I filled them up just a little at first, and they worked very well. When I filled them again to about 2/3 capacity afterwards, the wick became quite obviously dislodged in the second one. I didn't look on the first one, it leaked all the juice out and I tossed it. On the second one I observed the juice leaking past the wick and then rising up into the air tube. Then it leaked out all the juice onto my desk.

I have a hard time understanding why the wick would dislodge after the first (gentle!) use, but apparently it can and does. Seems like a manufacturing problem.

Otherwise, I really like them - would buy them again in a minute if the problem is fixed.

I hasten to add that I did mention this to Daniel, and he was kind enough to offer to replace these, so I have no problem whatsoever with the service - in fact I am very happy with this company. But I do think there is a problem either with this batch, or with the manufacturing process.

Last edited:

Qlock

Feb 18, 2011
Navarre Beach
I found these atomizers last week and tried them out yesterday. I must have the newer version because they don't leak at all. Vapor production is off the charts and flavor would be awesome if they didn't have that nasty plastic taste! I don't know where it comes from other than the obvious. I would love to hear that goes away after they break in, i just don't know if I can last that long, its so nasty tasting.

I would like to add, that when i filled it up about a quarter of the way the first time to test it, I thought it tasted great!, then on the refill, it started tasting like burnt or hot plastic. It's a shame because these things are awesome. Maybe if someone took the exact design, but made it metal, they would rock hard!

Last edited:

Qlock

Feb 18, 2011
Navarre Beach
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318006977.430768.jpg

I believe the bubbles we're seeing is condensation. At first it looks like juice but when tilting it so that light doesn't pass through the juice, only the bubbles, they are clear.

I popped this back on my Provari at 4v today, after sitting all day & night, and the first 5-6 hits didn't have the plastic taste. This leads me to believe there may be a wicking issue and may be corrected with a different wick.

Just some observations today while I was tinkering with it.

tommy2bad

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Kilkenny
Burnt taste is a wicking problem, draw without pressing the button should help draw juice down the wick. It's hard to balance flow with the wicks needs, without leaks or dry spots.
Tanks are a good idea but difficult to implement. The old 510 tanks had the same wicking, leaking probs and no flavor or vapor.
egoT's report similar problems, looks like the cartomizer is the best compromise so far.

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
Hes my little review of the sapphire . I filled it half way with juice and let it sit standing up for at least a half hour . came back and took one draw ,hmm seems good but already filled with condensation . Took my second draw and pop it done . Coil burnt out and stopped working on the second draw at 3.7v. Thats insane .

Nelson76

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2011
Rhode Island
I just got some of these today, Tried it with the juice that came in at the same time, First two puffs were fine but everything after that was absolutely nasty,I got the same nasty taste that made me give up the tanks on my ego, That melting plastic taste I think it's a combination of a wicking problem and the low quality plastic? It about makes me want to give up, I'm just sticking with what works for me CE2 Clearomizers and dripping. I definitely think the plastic is low quality because the clearomizers I use are plastic and I've never gotten a bad plastic taste out of them.

wolfmaster

Jul 25, 2011
Upstate NY
So I've had more time with these. As long as I'm really careful the opening is not blocked when filling, as I stated before, they never leak anymore. I have occasionally (very occasionally, maybe once every 4 days) gotten the burning taste, but as another poster said, just suck on it without hitting the button and that solves that issue. I use 3.7V too so I have no idea how yours could have burned out so quickly.

One thing I've noticed is one of them is alot easier to draw from than the other. Not really an issue, though. I've been intentionally filling them up completely and using them down to the very last drop, then dry burning a little (but not TOO much or else you will have a burning taste for hours) before refilling. I think crud buildup is what killed my old atomizers, and I'd rather that not happen to these! I've had them over a month now and still going strong.

Last edited:
I have taken to only filling mine via syringe, rather than the little fill nipple. It reduces the likelihood of accidentally getting liquid into the airflow channel, as it is so close the fill hole... this has stopped any gurgling or leaking.

I really like the vapor production and flavor, but after several tanks I'm getting some real heat build-up and juice discoloration... no plastic taste, just remnants of burnt juice from the last tank. I will have to figure out how to effectively clean these between juices. But at $3 piece, they're pretty disposable.

wolfmaster

Jul 25, 2011
Upstate NY
I'm still using the same setup. Sapphire Bud Atomizers version 1.0 and E-power 18650. I'm growing tired of the same old thing. Also, these things have been on the brink of death over the past week or two. They seem clogged and I cannot get good air flow through them. I have been attempting to dry burn between fillings but that's not always possible since the atomizer is inside of the tank. I've read it's possible to take them apart but I've never tried for fear of breaking them.

ANYWAY, I did something potentially stupid and inhaled through the bottom (threaded end) in an attempt to get whatever blockage is occuring cleared up. Mouthful of eliquid. One of them (A) continued to be blocked, the other one (B) worked better but leaked an entire tankfull into my pocket later that day. I filled B up again and I could see the drip forming immediately on the thread end of that. A I continued to use even though I could barely get anything out of it. It has improved somewhat but just now i switched to the Cart and atomizer included with the E-power (which I have never used). Huge clouds of vapor. I forgot how good it could be since my sapphires have degraded so gradually.

So between my sapphire A working decently and the "stock" atomizers I have time to think about this. I'm debating between the Sapphire 2.0s and something else. They promise they improved on basically all the issues myself and everyone else have been having. Better airflow, less leaking, etc. But if they will degrade over time like these have I'm somewhat less interested. I was also looking into the Fluxomizers/Clearomizers also from gotvapes.com. But a reviewer said they only get a few fills before burning out.

So I'm definitely looking for a tank-type system which is completely clear so that I can see the amount of liquid. Beyond that, I just don't know. Easy filling, low cost, and long-lasting. Any ideas?

wolfmaster

Jul 25, 2011
Upstate NY
Hey, so one of my sapphires is completely dead now. So I had to know why. I saw a video on youtube showing how easy it is to take apart. Just slide the top off while the sapphire is screwed on, and pop the ring out. But I wanted more. The bottom (thread end) also comes off. There is a wire running off of this up through the atomizer, up to the tank. I believe it used to be soldered on, and I broke taking the bottom cap off. There is a rubber ring which held that in.

So, back to the top (tank end), since the wire was broken this part also slid out. Only one part remained, another rubber ring with filler material similar to what's in cartomizers. I took that out and all that was left was the metal shell of the atomizer, and the plastic tube of the tank. This filler material is completely black with gunk, and smells horrible. No wonder it wasn't working. Either that or just the wick being worn out was why it stopped working.

I could attempt to clean the parts and put this back together, but I don't think it'd work since I broke that wire. I bought Sapphire 2.0s (two of them) and Fluxomizers/Clearomizers (5.0s) so I will review all of these things in separate threads when I get the free time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread