build quality of clones (nemesis and kayfun lite plus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemonyleprosy

Verified Member
Mar 2, 2014
Los Angeles
so... a bunch of gear arrived today. was super excited until i started opening all the packages.
i'm a poor student, so buying the real deal is not within my budget, however, i expected clone build quality to at least be adequate. given that they dont have to worry about the r&d budget and are just copying others designs, and that when it comes down to it all i'm paying for is a few bucks worth of machined metal...
my kayfun lite plus clone from ehpro came with a large crack in the chimney, and a 2.5mm metal hangnail hanging off of it. makes it impossible to get a sealed tank, and i'm sure it chewed up the o-ring.
my nemesis clone by h-cigar has what i can only describe as the worlds cheapest switch on the bottom. grabby, loose, junk.
but my kayfun 3.1 clone from h-cigar is perfect.
is this build quality (or lack thereof) common with clones? or did i just have very bad luck?

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
It almost seems odd talking this way about a clone manufacturer, but EHPro and HCigar are generally thought of as top-notch. I'd say that you have some bad luck going there - may I ask from where you purchased your items?

I only ask because I've heard a few Ebay horror stories about bad vape gear purchases.

Richard75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Pennsylvania
It's not just a clone thing, it can happen with the authentic stuff. I once received a mod (very expensive and from overseas) that had a massive scratch in one of the pieces (and I mean a gouge). Luckily the manufacturer is a great guy and personally sent me out a replacement part. He covered shipping and everything. That's the difference between authentic and clones - I doubt Hcigar or Ehpro would do that.

But regardless, I seem to remember a website that offered replacement parts for a Kayfun clone (not just the little bits, but the parts you would be looking for). I can't remember what site it was... I'll do some research and post here if I can find it.

Richard75

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Pennsylvania
Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Sounds to me like your luck is just really Bad right now.

Actually, not as bad as you may think. You have 1 good Kayfun and with some patients and a little cleaning/adjusting your Nemesis may well turn out fine. I got a Stubborn HCigar, but after some serious cleaning, adjustments and time in use the Mod is now working nicely. I have 5 Variations of Nemesis Clones.
As For the Bad Tank - Send it Back

lemonyleprosy

Verified Member
Mar 2, 2014
Los Angeles
Ordered from a variety of ebay vendors.
I'm sending the tank back, but thanks for link to the place that sells parts, ima bookmark it for later.
the nemesis clone... I ordered some magnets to get rid of the spring. My main concern with it now is that the outside threading on the switch that screws into the body is just a tiny bit to small- if I apply pressure from inside or outside it starts hopping threads. It's not like I can just wrap it in thread tape, cause then it won't conduct... I suppose I could use electrically conductive epoxy and glue it in, but then I couldn't service the switch.
Guess I just need to stop ordering clones on ebay.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Ordered from a variety of ebay vendors.
I'm sending the tank back, but thanks for link to the place that sells parts, ima bookmark it for later.
the nemesis clone... I ordered some magnets to get rid of the spring. My main concern with it now is that the outside threading on the switch that screws into the body is just a tiny bit to small- if I apply pressure from inside or outside it starts hopping threads. It's not like I can just wrap it in thread tape, cause then it won't conduct... I suppose I could use electrically conductive epoxy and glue it in, but then I couldn't service the switch.
Guess I just need to stop ordering clones on ebay.

Edited - Reread
You mean the Brass threaded portion? If so, I think you got taken. Never, Ever heard of any of the HCigar or several other Clones Having Switch FIT issues.
Request Replacement or File - this is your money and Ebay will Back you if handled properly.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Good Deal. Turtle ship is also a decent build Mod. Hopefully you got v2 or have well wrapped batteries.

Just so you are aware - luck of the draw on the Nemesis.
I have 5, all clones and all working properly. 1 was an issue at first but some work corrected the problems. It is just something you don't want to have to deal with on a New item purchase.:glare:

dannyrl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Hillsboro, OR
Clones can be super hit or miss on quality.

I got my KFL+ clone from a US vendor that inspects and test fires their products before shipping them out. Even though I paid a little more for my clone, I didn't really have to worry about getting a dud. Aside from kiiiiinda rough threads, my clone is perfect!

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I've never heard of EH Pro or HCigar having problems like that, but being how their reputation is, I would contact them, along with pictures. They'll hopefully send you a replacement.

Ummm.......My one PITA Nemesis was an HCIGAR - purchased from 101Vape(Good People)
Rather than send it back and Risk it just being my Bad Luck, I decided to work the kinks out myself. The Mod looked Great and after fixing - Works Great.

*note - Only Nemesis I ever got a switch Stuck in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread