Building a Wood Vape Station - Need Ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
I used something like that for my socket sets. Used the rails from pallets as my wood base (oak), dado cut / routed out the center, inserted foam and then cut out perfect holes for each size socket... Been going for over 10 years... Built six of them (1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 in sets for my metric and standard sockets) - hangs on the wall - also built something similar for my screwdrivers, etc. made in the same fashion. They are custom to my tools and look good to boot.

invididual

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Lakeland, FL
the stand is now complete!
CIMG0912.jpg

Bodasafa

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2012
Crystal Lake, IL - USA
Actually, its not foam, its not even sanded, I primed it white last night because I didn't have the black, got the black late last night and painted it this morning, it does have a soft look to it though, I think its the flat black

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Ah so just paint. Cool thanks.

Bodasafa

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2012
Crystal Lake, IL - USA
No I didn't, the ones we had a work were all kinda crap. Plus it was my last day (planned layoff).

I went to Home Depot and Menard's today to have a look around, not seeing much that won't be majorly expensive.

I am thinking of going with a pine base/framing and then covering it in a nice looking paneling or veneer.

Also side note: Individual I found what looked like your stand at home depot for like $5 but it had a threaded bolt in the bottom of it? Was this the same thing you found but removed the bolt?

The quest continues, everyone feel free to continue sharing photos, links, and ideas.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
Well you can normally pic up some spruce and pine at construction sites and that is free. Also, if you have a cabinet shop in the area or just about anything that manufactures with wood. The good stuff is scarfed up by the workers, but for your project you only need small scraps...

I just picked up 3 2x2x4 ft hickory scraps - to notty for the cabinet maker, but will make some real nice curtain rods for my wife after I turn them at the wood shop and I got end caps at Lowes in their clearance area for 59 cents...

invididual

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Also side note: Individual I found what looked like your stand at home depot for like $5 but it had a threaded bolt in the bottom of it? Was this the same thing you found but removed the bolt?
yeah, it was really easy to get out with a pair of channel locks, just unscrew it :)

Bodasafa

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2012
Crystal Lake, IL - USA
yeah, it was really easy to get out with a pair of channel locks, just unscrew it :)

Yeah I found out, I said screw it and bought 2, one for me and one for the wife. The bolt in the bottom just unscrewed with a pair of pliers. I used a 9/16 (I think?) spade bit down the top and bam its done. It should work perfect as a at home stand on a coffee table/computer table and for in the car while resting in a cup holder.

Thanks for the idea, its total win. You should post your own thread with the details, since as far as I can tell it was your idea originally.

An addon to the vape station I already made was a steeping tray. I took a 3/4 thick piece of nice finish plywood and bore in 1-1/14" holes with a spade bit. It sits neatly in a small drawer (one of 3 smaller ones) in the top row of my dresser. So its cool and dark for steeping. I can unscrew a cap and remove the dropper and know it wont fall over when I open the drawer.

I'll get a picture when I have completed my other projects.

With the home/car holder and steeping tray handled I need to sort out my overall charging/vape station and then a personal carry system. I seem to be side tracked by the personal carry system right now.

I think I will post a different thread on that, since it won't be wood.

Bodasafa

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2012
Crystal Lake, IL - USA
So I am noticing an issue with my idea.

Ive mounted a power strip underneath my station and plug in the Kgo Charger.

I connect the USB part to the Kgo when I am ready to charge and then feed the USB end thru a hole to connect to the 2 prong.

The problem is the 2 prong has a red light that ALWAYS stays on when plugged into the power strip. Kind of annoying and I'm not sure its a great thing to have on all the time.:confused:

Hypnophone

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2011
FEMA Region VI
So I am noticing an issue with my idea.

Ive mounted a power strip underneath my station and plug in the Kgo Charger.

I connect the USB part to the Kgo when I am ready to charge and then feed the USB end thru a hole to connect to the 2 prong.

The problem is the 2 prong has a red light that ALWAYS stays on when plugged into the power strip. Kind of annoying and I'm not sure its a great thing to have on all the time.:confused:

By 2-prong, do you mean the transformer(wall wart)? If so, it's fine to leave it plugged-in all the time. It doesn't draw any
current until you connect a battery to charge. My transformers have been plugged in for almost 2 years...
If the LED bothers you, tape will help. However, it may make it difficult to see when the LED turns green.
The power strip is an excellent idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread