Building my big battery mod

What atomizer is a good go to for a 3.7v big battery mod?

• Other, do tell! :)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZorbaTheGreek

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
I'm working on my first big battery mod. And I'm just torn on what atomizer to use! The only model cig I have right now is a 401. I have a 510 in the mail that I will get to try soon. I really like the look of the 801, 901 atomizers with the sleek stainless bodys and whistle tips :) I know I can get adapters to fiddle around. But I'd like my standard fitting to see the most use :) What do people here think?

Oh, it's a 3.7 volt mod. I will have the option of 2x cr2 camera batteries if I'm not mistaken (AA battery housing) to try 6v if I get curious down the road.

bigozone

ECF Veteran
Sep 6, 2009
Kentucky
well 3.7 v is the same as the stock ecig batts, so if you are a 510 fan then i'd suggest it....

but if you are going to go higher with the voltage on this same device later then i'd suggest using an 801 connector so you can use the BE112 atty which seems to be one of the HV favs.

i myself use 901s on my 6v magnum mod (thanks to madog for the instructions) because i like the flavor of the 901 and have tried the 510 on the same setup. while the ammount of vape from the 510 was nice, i found the flavor lacking greatly.

so i guess it comes down to voltage, and at 3.7v i say use what ever atty you want while the 901 will give more flavor, the 510 will produce more vape at that voltage. but i've heard others say the 801 is like having both the flavor and plumes of vape (when using the BE112 from bestecig anyway)

even though i'm a huge 901 fan, i'd suggest a 510 for the voltage you listed in the OP
that way you can always buy adapters later for other attys

Last edited:

jxmiller

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
I would suggest building your own atomizer. There is enough information in the threads if you do a little looking.

Doing "Big Battery" mods adds to this because it makes the atomizer easier to build because size is less of a restriction. If you were trying to make a mod that was only slightly larger than a cigarette then perhaps I would say go with a commercial atomizer.

jxmiller

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
Thanks for the tips folks! I think I'm leaning most towards the 510, and just running adapters for 801/901 if I want to try them.

What you need. Google search whats in quotes.

Buy a bag of "Porcelain Wire Nut" ("Ceramic Wire Nut" works too). Get the smallest ones you can find, you should be able to find 10mm inner diameter size but really get the size you want, this is your mod and you are not restricted unless you think you are.

Buy 10ft roll of 36 or 38 awg nicrome wire from Jacobs
Buy a short section of "silica fire wick" (6" is plenty)

Since the wire nuts vary in size wait till you get those in the mail if the measurements are not listed.

Once you have the wire nuts get a Dremel tool and some carbide or diamond drill bits and accessories. They have kits for either.

Drill a hole large enough for copper wiring (24 awg or so) on either side of the wire nut about 3mm down. Drill another hole in the bottom. Run one heat sheathed copper wire to one side and a separate wire to the other hole. Get ~1.2" of the nichrome wire (I suggest cleaning the wire first with alcohol and not touching the wire with your hands because oil is dirty and not wanted on the wire at all .. same for the wicking) and coil it around a section of the wicking supported by something small like a thick gauge needle. I assume you know what this looks like if you have read through a few threads here, take a look its all over the place. Affix the nichome coil to each end of the copper wires you already ran. You can test it at this point if you like by wetting the coil with VG and sending it some power.

Depending on the outter diameter of the wire nut you will need a housing made of heat resistant material that is large enough to fit the wire nut. There are many materials (metal is easiest). Aluminum tubing can be found in abundance. If you cannot find the exact size then you can simply order something that is close (as long as the inner diameter is larger than the wire nut) and find a heat resistant o ring that will fit around the wire nut.

There are a few other considerations but that is as far as I go ... for now.

Sorry just thinking out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread