Building My First Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippoz

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2013
PNW
Hello all,

I've been lurking a long time, and have come to appreciate this forum, its members, and the vast amount of info available.

I'm interested in building a cylindrical mod out of aluminum tubing (have some kicking around) that just happens to fit 18365 (think that's right) series batteries with a bit of room. I want to make my mod a 2 cell, variable volt. I've been surfing around the madvapes site, and have found a laundry list of parts that I would like to incorporate, however these two are giving me issue:

1. Battery Voltage Indicator
2. http://www.madvapes.com/variable-vo...v-6.html?acc=70efdf2ec9b086079795c442636b55fb

I have run into a problem because madvapes is currently sold out of their vv kit, and to be honest I'm really not sure how to piece one together. I have decent experience soldering (modding xboxes) and I don't believe that part will be a problem. However, circuit diagrams are totally greek to me and I'm clueless as to what they mean. There is only about 4 parts in the circuit, so I should be able to figure it out, but I don't want to fry my $$ if I don't have to.

The other problem I have, is that this voltage readout thing is kinda confusing looking. It seems to be for hobby LiPo batteries, with hookups for each cell. I'm guessing that it normally takes a reading from each individual cell, then gives an average. What in the world do I do with this if I just want it wired in parallel with the firing circuit to tell me my current voltage?? Do I just hook up the ground and a lead to pin 1?

Finally, does anyone know where I could get some of these components locally other than radio hack? I try not to set foot in that place if I don't have to.

If any fellow modders can help me with these issues, it would be greatly appreciated.

Zippoz

EDIT: Oh, one more thing. What is your opinion on protection features, such as short-circuit/overdraw/overdrain?

Last edited:

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Hey Zippoz, you are spot on about wiring the meter. If PNW means pacific northwest, I really can't think of a local shop you could walk into and get what you need (Fry's LOL). As for that VV circuit it is not very efficient and produces waste heat. You might want to delve into something nicer like Bigblue's classic: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/114901-evercool-variable-voltage-mod.html.

Or, you could take the easy route and stick a DNA20 in there and run a single battery, have OLED and functions, but that isn't quite the same thing. :)

Zippoz

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2013
PNW
Hey Zippoz, you are spot on about wiring the meter. If PNW means pacific northwest, I really can't think of a local shop you could walk into and get what you need (Fry's LOL). As for that VV circuit it is not very efficient and produces waste heat. You might want to delve into something nicer like Bigblue's classic: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/114901-evercool-variable-voltage-mod.html.

Or, you could take the easy route and stick a DNA20 in there and run a single battery, have OLED and functions, but that isn't quite the same thing. :)

Cool! I wasn't sure if I had that right or not.

Yes, PNW is Pacific Northwest. I have thought of Fry's but yeah it's always a crapshoot finding things like that in there. And, the nearest one is almost 40min away from me.

Thanks for the link! I knew that circuit wasn't terribly efficient, but I read on the madvapes site that the voltage display won't work with switching regulators. Do you know of one that will?

Thanks

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
They really ought to say PWM regulators, as the OKR-T6 (combo I actually have) does fine with such a meter and the PTR8100 does basically the same thing and output a stable voltage, not pulsed. A digital pot will interfere with the meter however, so just avoid those. Maybe someone who has built a 8100 with a meter will chime in.

chrisrook

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2013
Bradenton
I'm also building a VV mod right now. I went with the NPC from Madvapes, but haven't had a chance to solder it up yet. As for schematic for it, here's the one i'm using: Add Variable Voltage Control to Your eCig Mod - The PUCK e-Cig Mod Very easy to follow, and actually lists each component. Wasteful, yes, easy, yes. As for readout, I bought a screw in voltage meter. It screws into a 510 atty. It's pretty much the same as the one Madvapes sells, but in a acrylic tube with 510 connections. I found the DNA20 after buying the stuff for my NPC mod, but the DNA will definitely be used in my next build.

Zippoz

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2013
PNW
Zippoz -

How are your soldering skills? If you've never soldered, I'd start off with a much simpler mod like the puck. I started modding last week and I'm glad I started simple. It would suck if you ruin your parts while learning.

Zippoz said:
I have decent experience soldering (modding xboxes) and I don't believe that part will be a problem.

I'm not too worried about the soldering stuff. I've soldered much smaller things than that.

I'm also building a VV mod right now. I went with the NPC from Madvapes, but haven't had a chance to solder it up yet. As for schematic for it, here's the one i'm using: Add Variable Voltage Control to Your eCig Mod - The PUCK e-Cig Mod Very easy to follow, and actually lists each component. Wasteful, yes, easy, yes. As for readout, I bought a screw in voltage meter. It screws into a 510 atty. It's pretty much the same as the one Madvapes sells, but in a acrylic tube with 510 connections. I found the DNA20 after buying the stuff for my NPC mod, but the DNA will definitely be used in my next build.

Thanks for that link to the tutorial. Should be helpful. Yeah, I've seen that part. My mod is going to be pretty bulky as is, and I'd kinda prefer to have it built into the mod. Thanks though.

Last edited:

Tarnacc

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2011
south texas
You did mention budget and I don't know what yours is but have you considered using a kick?

I am not a fan of battery stacking though I have done it. the kick would eliminate the stacking and allow you to just use a single cell. You would be using variable wattage as opposed to VV but very similar results IMO. the build would be very simple, just a tube, connection, a switch, venting and make sure there is room for the kick. The kick would also give you some basic protection.

I think they sell for around $50. and are usable in just about anything. you may find that the $50 is not too far off what you would be spending on the other parts.

You would lose the display but it may be a trade-off worth considering.

JDog89

Apr 12, 2013
Minnesota
I am also looking to build my first box mod / passthrough. I just don't know if my wiring is right. Could anyone possibly look at my wiring diagram tell me if this will work or not. I have to give credit to bstedh for the base of the diagram. It is an excellent diagram, all I did was make my own tweaks.

My OKR-T6 VV Passthrough 3.jpg

Feel free to copy my image to your computer and make any changes you feel is necessary and re-post. Any help you guys and gals can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much everyone and have a great day.

bstedh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2011
Northern Minnesota
www.clear.com
What are you trying to do with the capacitor? Not really needed with this board unless you have an unstable power source.
Note at the bottom indicating resistor between pins 1 & 3 ????
Otherwise it seems fine.
Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Zippoz

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2013
PNW
You did mention budget and I don't know what yours is but have you considered using a kick?

I am not a fan of battery stacking though I have done it. the kick would eliminate the stacking and allow you to just use a single cell. You would be using variable wattage as opposed to VV but very similar results IMO. the build would be very simple, just a tube, connection, a switch, venting and make sure there is room for the kick. The kick would also give you some basic protection.

I think they sell for around $50. and are usable in just about anything. you may find that the $50 is not too far off what you would be spending on the other parts.

You would lose the display but it may be a trade-off worth considering.

Well, my budget is going to be about in the $100 range, so that might be possible. However, I'm kinda going for the bling on this and I really wanted to use a display. Also, I still need to purchase batteries, a charger, and possibly a new atty/tank to celebrate. Why don't you like double cell designs? I was looking forward to the increased capacity, and this will mainly be used at home so size isn't an issue.

Thanks for the info bsted!

Jdog, from where I sit that design looks fine other than the possible confusion bsted pointed out. I'm not an expert though, that's why I'm here :)

5cardstud: That looks pretty great! Did you use a knife body to make that? While I'm not considering a folding design, I still think that is a pretty cool idea. How well does it work in practice?

Thanks all

Last edited:

StereoDreamer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2012
Columbia MD
Here's a variable fold up I just got done building with the parts I had laying around from my mod building days. 2 14500. Vapes great. It's next to a buzz pro but it's 2 pics of the same mod in two different positions.

DSC02515_zpse01f7749.jpg

Looks sort of like a Darwin. Where did you get that case, and how did you fabricate the folding 510 connector Assembly? I'd LOVE to see some internal pics, or at least some pics with the case lid off.

Inquiring minds want to know...

Tarnacc

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2011
south texas
First of all I am not an expert on battery chemistry or electronics in general. I like to tinker with stuff and I rely on the expertise of those who actually know as well as erring on the side of caution when in doubt. Here is a thread that is good reading when considering making your own mod and some discussion is made on the topic of battery stacking. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...61-exploding-mods-update-february-2012-a.html

Makes sense to me and with the availability and functionality of booster chips I figure why not?

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
First of all I am not an expert on battery chemistry or electronics in general. I like to tinker with stuff and I rely on the expertise of those who actually know as well as erring on the side of caution when in doubt. Here is a thread that is good reading....
Enough with the fear mongering. If you had spent any time in the Modding Forum you'll see that folks have been stacking batteries in series to build regulated mods since 2009. Many of these mods were built by folks who didn't even own a meter. Then there are the myriad of retailers that later jumped into the fray making these stacked devices even easier to make or even buy cheaply.

I wonder how many of these kits or assembled mods MadVapes has sold.

5v 510 Box Mod Kit

Or the VV version.

Variable Voltage White Box Mod

Or how many stacked mods this guy has sold.

Little Sister Variable Vari-Cool - Ken's Boxmods

Or this guy.

SmokBox Custom Mods - 3.7v, 5v, Linear and Switching Variable Voltage

I could go on and on and on.

Where are all explosions? How can these folks still be selling such 'unsafe' mods?

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
With a 100 buck budget you certainly could use the DNA20D......single battery.....with a display....

Here is the datasheet if you want to review...

http://evolvapor.com/wp-content/uploads/dna20.pdf

The 20D mods I have built for around 70 bucks also have a micro usb charger board built in and tactile switches for the fire and up/down wattage adjustment....the display shows the wattage, voltage, ohm's of the atty/carto and battery level....the display also shows error messages when needed....

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/battery-mods/389563-dna20-d-mini-mod.html#post8860615

Last edited:

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
Looks sort of like a Darwin. Where did you get that case, and how did you fabricate the folding 510 connector Assembly? I'd LOVE to see some internal pics, or at least some pics with the case lid off.

Inquiring minds want to know...

I made the case myself from a 2xAA battery box and a 12v to usb adapter I saw while shopping. I can take a pic of the inside but it just has a DE-SWADJ Adjustable Switching Regulator (my favorite) that I attached a knob to control the voltage, a fast changing led and an on/off switch. Oh the button I used fit into the USB socket perfectly, it was the power button from my PC parts. Vapes absolutely great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread