Builds for the Clouds

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtybirdy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2014
Georgia
I have been messing around when some builds lately and was just wondering about a few things.

For example I am using a Tugboat on an authentic Manhattan. I have two 28g dual coils. 6 wraps on a 3/64 drill bit. If I inhale very strong and hard for about 5-6 seconds the clouds are huge.

I see a lot of people hit there mod for about 3 seconds and the cloud production is huge.

If I made a build with 22g dual coils - 6 wraps on a 3/64 drill bit would I be able to pull on it for 3 seconds and get about the same cloud production or more than on my 28g.

I have drilled my Tugboat out so the holes are now 1/8 on each side and I have drilled out the center post to accommodate larger builds.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
From the Steam Turbine coil calculator, you seem to be around 0.35 ohms. What do you actually measure it at?

I'm running a Mutation X with dual coils, 24 gauge, 3mm, rayon and if I remember right 3/4 wraps. I have not had this RDA long and am still experimenting with setups. Wicking is important. I've found it's important to keep the outside of the coils clear for max vapor. I can take 10 second hits and the wicks keep up. Let the wicks wick, don't flood the coils. My first builds were at around 0.27 ohms and I'm getting more out of the 0.2.

I definitely get better vapor production from longer inhales. I'm finding inhale speed needs to be controlled. Using 96% VG and 4% distilled water I can inhale for a longer than 6 seconds but I don't do that often ;)

I think at this point it all depends on how far you want to take this. Steam Engine calculates that using 22 gauge wire with everything else the same as now will come in around 0.12 ohms. That's a huge change from the 28 gauge build! It's also 35 amps draw with a fully charged battery. If your build is really 0.09 ohms it's 47 amps. That's a bit more risk than I'm willing to take with my 30 amp batteries :).

ETA: If those 3 second hits you're comparing to are from videos, keep in mind that lighting makes a huge difference in what the clouds look like.

Last edited:

westonG

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2014
San Diego, CA
I have been messing around when some builds lately and was just wondering about a few things.

For example I am using a Tugboat on an authentic Manhattan. I have two 28g dual coils. 6 wraps on a 3/64 drill bit. If I inhale very strong and hard for about 5-6 seconds the clouds are huge.

I see a lot of people hit there mod for about 3 seconds and the cloud production is huge.

If I made a build with 22g dual coils - 6 wraps on a 3/64 drill bit would I be able to pull on it for 3 seconds and get about the same cloud production or more than on my 28g.

I have drilled my Tugboat out so the holes are now 1/8 on each side and I have drilled out the center post to accommodate larger builds.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

idk that you should go straight to 22G, it will be too hot of a build for you, i have found with the Tugboat that a 3/4 wrap around a 3mm drill bit of 24G kanthal or nichrome works great.. nichrome gets more cloud production for me at least and its not too crazy where you have to worry about your batteries. the biggest part of cloudchasing is really exhale technique.. you just have to figure out what works well for you and talk to local guys that compete if your in an area that has cloud comps, and you will be chuckin huge clouds.. after you use 24G then go to 22G same build i just mentioned with 22G works super well too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread