Built My First Setup Yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trypno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
So I did my first coil build ever yesterday. It was on my asMODus 26650 rda. So far I'm liking it, but the ramp up time leaves something to be desired.

It's a quad micro coil setup. The coils are running in parallel, not series. Each coil is made up of 28ga kanthal @15 wraps a piece with a 2mm inner diameter. This brings each coil to 2.0ohms, which when put together brings the total build down to 0.5 ohms.
I'm vaping max vg unflavored liquid @3mg from Mt. Baker Vapor. I like this build, it's not too hot, and not too cool for me. The only problem I'm having is ramp up time. It seems to take forever to heat this build up. Anyone have any tips? I screwed the posts down more, that seems to have helped a little.

juggalofisher88

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
.5 ohms is way to high for 28g quads, maybe 31-32g. Also that's a TON of wire to heat/cool!
Try maybe .25-.3ohms.
Personally i prefer to use 30,32 gauge for quads. My coils are always 1.98mm ID. Leaning more towards 32g lately, and also thinking of getting 34g to do 6, 8, or 12 coil builds lol(yeah right that would take me a week to build, and 2 weeks to wick it). I've said it before and I'll say it again thinner gauge wire,multiple parallel coils.
way better than thick gauge wires with less wraps and/or coils.
but all that is just my opinion
multiple parallel coiled outperforming vapor and flavor, but that's just true because I read it on the internet so it has to be

sig-153231.jpg

Trypno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
This build actually heats up much quicker than the quad build I had, and isn't as hot as a .5ohm untwisted build.
According to Rip Trippers twisted 28ga build video, which is where I learned this build, twisting the wire increases the gauge of the wire, causing a decrease in the resistance. But that's just from him, personally that's exactly what I think it did.
The diameter is also decreased down to 1mm with this build as well, rather than the 2mm I had in the quad build.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
well yes, a lower gauge wire has a lower resistance, but needs to be at a lower resistance... you can't just add wraps to make it the same resistance as your thinner wire and then expect it to work the same.

for example, if I am building a dual coil build at .3 ohm and then want to add 2 more coils, if I put twice as many wraps on all of the coils, I can still end up at .3 ohm, but this isn't going to vape anywhere near as well as my dual coil .3 ohm.... it needs more power than that, because there are now 2 more coils. So I would add the two extra coils with the same amount of wraps as if I were doing duals, only now I would be at .15 ohm... but this is the kind of resistance that is needed on a mech to power all four of those coils and get them to heat up in the same time.

Instead of building to a target resistance, it is better to build for a targeted vape experience, as different gauges and number of coils will require different resistances. I would bet that you get a much better vape if you make those 9-wrap twisted coils 5-wraps.

Trypno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
I vape in this range because anything lower is just too hot for me. Also, this build is only nine wraps per coil for a .5ohm dual setup, not 15 wraps. Each coil in this build is only one ohm, as opposed to the 2ohms per coil in my first build. Vapor range and ohmage are the same, but the vape between these two builds are totally different beasts. As I mentioned, the build heats up much, much quicker this time around, than my quad did. No, it's not instantly hot like some setups, but I don't need it to be that hot that quick, I'm not cloud chasing, I just wanted a hobby and more vapor.
Anyway, I gotta get an ohmmeter before I can really start experimenting with builds, but thanks again for the tips guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread