CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Happy Thanksgiving!

thanksgiving-dog.jpg

(I might like the taste of filler-as long as it's not burning)

br5495

Old Man Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Liberty, Texas
Yep, carto tanks and then Badkolo and Martinez... ;)

Wishing y'all a peaceful and very happy Thanksgiving...

Did carto tanks come before Badkolo and Martinez? For some reason I don't remember it that way. But then, the meds still have me all fused up and I'm liable to have everything turned around backwards in my head.

I hope all you kids had a nice Thanksgiving. All but 3 of our bunch celebrated it on the deer lease out in West Texas this year, so the 5 of us had a nice and peaceful one here at home.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Did carto tanks come before Badkolo and Martinez? For some reason I don't remember it that way. But then, the meds still have me all fused up and I'm liable to have everything turned around backwards in my head.

I hope all you kids had a nice Thanksgiving. All but 3 of our bunch celebrated it on the deer lease out in West Texas this year, so the 5 of us had a nice and peaceful one here at home.

You might be right BR. I was thinking along the lines that the problem with cartos at first (and still) was keeping everything wet and the carto tank was the solution - while the filler was still present but a constant flow of juice was supplied. But... there was still burning problems with the filler and sock. Then the idea was 'how about no filler' - basically an atomizer with an extended wick to the tank to keep from flooding - and the early clearomizers were born. E2's became 'CE2's and CE3, 4, 5, 6, etc. but it may have been around the same time or even earlier. I tried a 'carto tank' search here and that didn't help. lol.

The memory is a bit fuzzy (but I can't blame meds ;-) but it seems like lorikay and witchy were some of the first to go to carto tanks - badkolo came later. I abandoned the CE's (and this thread for a while) and didn't return to the 'Vision' clearos until the 'stardust' and didn't have good luck with the top coils until the Kanger T2, but the Tabac Bottom coil/T3 was a winner for me - still is.

Thanksgiving went well here too. Scored some venison from a family member!

BanjoMan

Pickin' Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Martinez, if I recall correctly, was the first name I ever heard associated with the CE2. I believe E-liquid.cn Premier Cheap Ecig Bulk web shop, Premier Ecig Bulk web shop online since 2006 was his website (or at least he had a financial interest). Badkolo was at that time just another customer who got involved in the development of the carto and decided to become a tycoon in the industry. ;)

The first "tank" I ever recall was a bottle mod using a stripped CE2 inside a small juice bottle. I recall a bunch of us playing with the things, and it wasn't long after that when tanks started showing up. I'm much too lazy to go back through thousands of ECF pages to prove it, but if memory serves our own BR was one of the first (if not THE first) to utilize this method, thereby making him the father (or at least one of the baby-daddies) of the modern tank. :toast:

To this day I still use CE2's on a daily basis, and when I'm not sucking on one of those I use a Viva Nova, which in my mind is just a glorified CE2 in a bottle. :p

kwcharlie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Houston
acrigs.com
And did the stardust come out before or after you published the drawings of your first masterpieces br? :glare:
If it was after then I’m betting you gave a copy to Badkolo [for more cheerios I’m sure] and he sent them to :vapor:

Just my theory, :2c:

:2cool: maybe it's time for you two to come clean on what was going on in that basement and who else was rolling the cherrios down those stairs!

Stay well br, WE know what happened, but the details would be a good story to put down here, at your age you get to say what ever you want now.:)

Rather than post more low info post junk here I’ll just say here:
OK Zelda, Cheetos not cheerios” and what a nice NOT junkie post, with photos, to point out my mistake, very classy girl.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Very interesting discussion! Well, actually the search for a continuous or automatic atomizer feeding system predates both the E2 and the bottle/syringe/carto tank mods. I believe Imeothanasis was the first one to introduce a successful AFS.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/gg/22801-gg-auto-feeding-system.html#post362956

Our wonderful modders came with all kinds of homemade devices that fed the atty continuously.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...2-510-plasti-dip-cart-rebuild.html#post633995

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-clear-pvc-mod-prototype-idea.html#post772718

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...7-tank-reservoir-bombinette-v2-lady-25mm.html

At the same time, cartomizer users kept trying to keep their beloved cartos from burning and to improve the feeding systems--thus all kinds of mods and improvements appeared in rapid succession sometime in the early-mid 2010; bottle mods (hi, BR:)), syringe mods, first homemade carto tanks, Royal Smokers (MiT) clear cartomizers, Gummybear tanks, Stormy tanks, MAP tanks, Joyetech sort of hybrid cartomizers with very little filler and then Ovale's (and Joyetech) eGo tank atties.

And then of course there was Raidy--and all those who followed his path. :D

Yeah, it's really exciting to watch the vaping technology change and improve.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

br5495

Old Man Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Liberty, Texas
Carto tanks were a stepping stone.... a good one for many. I skipped that step because of my personal taste buds which can detect filler ;)

Now that I have read all the current posts, I'll say that this one about filler type carto tanks caused my question about their originally. The following is what I remember:

The idea of a tank with a filler type cartomizer inside came from Gummey Bear. He came up with it almost a year after we were installing CE-2 guts inside of all kinds of clear things. His first one was made out of grommets and a clear tube from a local hardware store. He whacked a hole in the lower part of a filler cartomizer and then banged everything together with a hammer. Different vendors copied his idea and I suppose you can still buy kits of this type with pre-punched cartomizers and clear tanks.

br5495

Old Man Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2010
Liberty, Texas
Martinez, if I recall correctly, was the first name I ever heard associated with the CE2. I believe E-liquid.cn Premier Cheap Ecig Bulk web shop, Premier Ecig Bulk web shop online since 2006 was his website (or at least he had a financial interest). Badkolo was at that time just another customer who got involved in the development of the carto and decided to become a tycoon in the industry. ;)

The first "tank" I ever recall was a bottle mod using a stripped CE2 inside a small juice bottle. I recall a bunch of us playing with the things, and it wasn't long after that when tanks started showing up. I'm much too lazy to go back through thousands of ECF pages to prove it, but if memory serves our own BR was one of the first (if not THE first) to utilize this method, thereby making him the father (or at least one of the baby-daddies) of the modern tank. :toast:

This comes closer to my memories. The first bottle mod to appear on ECF was on 10-06-2010

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...zer-technical-discussion-389.html#post1991052

It was shown again the next day

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...zer-technical-discussion-392.html#post1992661

The most important thing I learned from this project was the the CE-2 XL's are too long to wick properly. All the cartomizers I have made since then have a tank about 1/4" shorter or more shallow.

However, I'll have to say that storminyte's syringe mod did just as much for the development of the fillerless cartomizer after we all began playing with bottle mods. The syringe mod got us all thinking about clear tubes and we all went our separate ways after that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread