Burning residue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OuchingMegaSpank

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2013
Michigan
What do you guys think about clearing your wick and coils by just dry-firing for a while? A few times it seems to work for me. Other times it retains a burnt flavor. But making new coils and wick every three or four days doesn't sound necessary to me. (I vape 50/50 with 28g dual coil 5 wraps on ekowool. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
I"d soak it fist to remove any residual liquid. IMHO it helps. I soak it in alcohol. I don't use expensive drinking alcohol. I use medical alcohol with out any additives. 99% is best less water. A brief soak then rinse then the dry burn. Then I either blow it out with canned air or rinse it again. You can tell your done when the wick is white and the coil has clean edges.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
What do you guys think about clearing your wick and coils by just dry-firing for a while? A few times it seems to work for me. Other times it retains a burnt flavor. But making new coils and wick every three or four days doesn't sound necessary to me. (I vape 50/50 with 28g dual coil 5 wraps on ekowool. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

The Technique you are Describing is called "Dry Burning". Firing the Atomizer without and source of e-Liquid until the Coil Glows Red.

It Burns Off the built up Gunk on a Coil kinda like the Way a Self-Cleaning Oven works.

BUT...

Dry Burning Only Works when the Wick Can Not Burn. Like on a Silica Wick.

If you try doing a Dry Burn on a Wick that Can burn, like Cotton, all you are going to end up with is a Small Pile of Ash where you Wick was..

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I try not to dry burn whenever I can. I soak my coils in PGA (Everclear) and vape some unflavored eliquid from time to time to keep the coils clean--PG is a great solvent. I do it a few times and then I throw my coils away. I use inexpensive Kanger coils nowadays, so that seems to be the best way for me. YMMV.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I dry burn as often as needed, depending on the the type of juice I use. Definately only with silica or stainless steel mesh. Ekowool is another type of silica. It is recomemended to torch any residue of the ekowool/ silica to get a cleaner taste. It is also a great way to make sure you are using a good silica. Any silica that can not take a good orange hot glow, is not suitable or safe to use.

I rinse my wick and coil with hot water, then I soak it in the hottest tap water for about 5 mins or so, Take it out, damp it on a towel to get the excess water off and dry burn. I do 5 seconds at a time, till water evaporates and the gunk burns off and the coils and wick are white again. I will sometime get a bit of residue on the coils, so I have these tiny brushes I use to brush that off. If there is still some gunk I repeat. Sometimes if your juice is dark, it will stain but as long as your coils are almost the same colour as the wire when unused, you are ready to go again.

If your silica gets burned its either not good silica or you have a short and its burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread