Kayfun Lite Plus: wick lifespan

Status
Not open for further replies.

CookieMonster225

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Baton Rouge, LA
I've been using the KFL+ for a few weeks. Absolutely the best vaping experience I've had to date. The only problem is the wick isn't lasting. I'm using 28g kanthal reading 1.27OHMs on a Provari at 3.0v, cotton wick. I'm careful not to use too much cotton and the coil is the correct distance off of the deck. It provides a great vape for about 1-2 1/2 days then the coil gets gunked up and the rba starts flooding, bad taste, less vapor, etc. Is there any fix for this or am I stuck taking it apart and dry burning every time this happens?

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Cotton probably has the shortest life span of any wicking material because it burns so easily. Your juice could be contributing to the short lifespan also if it is sweet or dark in color. Dry burning is the only solution other than rebuilding a new wick & coil. A lot of people feel it's worth it for the great flavor. I'm not one of them.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Cotton wick is great except it does not last. One dry hit and you have a charcoal wick it also clogs quicker i think. That is why i went with dual coil silica ekowool or twick. Twick is a hybrid of a cotton core and ekowool shell. You make it with ekowool and thread an organic unbleached cotton yarn through the center of the ekowool.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've been using the KFL+ for a few weeks. Absolutely the best vaping experience I've had to date. The only problem is the wick isn't lasting. I'm using 28g kanthal reading 1.27OHMs on a Provari at 3.0v, cotton wick. I'm careful not to use too much cotton and the coil is the correct distance off of the deck. It provides a great vape for about 1-2 1/2 days then the coil gets gunked up and the RBA starts flooding, bad taste, less vapor, etc. Is there any fix for this or am I stuck taking it apart and dry burning every time this happens?

You've got some great info here already CookieMonster. Just wanted to add another perspective.

You say the wick isn't lasting, but I think the root issue you're having is the coil/wick is getting gunked up. I use Genisis attys with stainless steel wicks, RDAs with cotton and silica in my Kayfun. 1 - 2 1/2 days is not bad for a lot of the juices I vape in any of these setups. Some juices gunk more than others. The more power I put on the coil the less time I find it takes to gunk things up too.

It really doesn't matter what wick material you use, they all gunk over time and that has to be dry burned off. There's no other way to deal with it.

SS wicks take a dry burn very well and last quite a number of cleanings. Once you have to make a new wick it takes a bit of time to set up the new one and get rid of shorts.

Silica will take dry burning very well, but eventually you have to replace it too.

Cotton can not be dry burned because it will burn up in that process. I take out the cotton wicks I use, dry burn the coil and put the wick back in. I find I can get 2 - 3 burn cycles from a wick before it degrades enough to make me put in a new wick. It's fast and really cheap to replace them though.

I use silica in my Kayfun because that's what I started out with and I have had good luck with it so far. What I do is carefully burn the wick and coil with a torch being really careful not to heat up the Kayfun parts (specially the positive post to avoid degrading the plastic insulator under it) in the process. I would not have an issue using cotton, but silica is working for me and both wick materials have negatives that have to be dealt with. One negative for silica is that I've never figured out a way to replace a wick in the coil without having to make a new coil. Cotton OTOH can be replaced very easily and it's so cheap it's practically free. Coils last me a long time.

One way to minimize gunking is to use clear juices. People also say that juices with no sweeteners gunk less but I've never experimented with that.

In the end it's all about what works best for you. Yes, you are going to have to take it apart regularly to dry burn it. Your choice of wick material will dictate exactly how you have to do the dry burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread