Burning wicks immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmack00

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Texas
I probably should have researched more before hand but that's neither here, nor there, as my 65 watt device is on its way. My buddy had a little box mod, so in anticipation of my device, I thought I'd try my kanger mini tank on his box mod at 30 watts and blow a few clouds. I didn't expect much, it's a 1.3 ohm coil with 28 gauge wire. My juice was 70vg / 30 PG, 3 ml nic, creme De mente. It hit pretty hard, as expected, but immediately burned out the wick in like 2 seconds.

My question is why? This tank is used on the kanger box at higher wattage and 30 watts doesn't seem outrageous, especially on a 1.3 ohm coil. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Thanks. I'll definitely start using this when mine comes in the mail. Another friend of mine using the full kanger sub box used the pre-made .5 ohm coil and we pushed it to 40 watts and it seemed fine. Sub ohm Vaping is weird!

different coils run at different wattages.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
some coil heads come with the wattage range printed on them:

2071001-2.jpg

the actual wattage that will work best will depend on the eliquid, the ambient temperature, and probably how long you use the coil too (i usually find i would run a fresh coil at lower wattage then need to raise it by the next day or two)

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Wouldn't a higher ohm coil be able to run at higher wattage than lower ohm?

with the same wire thickness yes. it would need higher voltage and wattage.

with premade coils you don't know the wire thickness.

there are also dual coils

mrmack00

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Texas
Well my plan is to use the recently ordered kayfun 4 with Sub ohm kit and run about .5 out. 6 ohm coil on 26 or 28 gauge wire. Perhaps I'll use higher vg juice, like 80/20. And if there are wicking issues, I expected to be able to use that kanger mini tank with the massive juice holes. I'll try to use that calculator when I get off work, but does that sound feasible? 30 watts seems fine to me but I just don't want to burn my lungs out again lol.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I probably should have researched more before hand but that's neither here, nor there, as my 65 watt device is on its way. My buddy had a little box mod, so in anticipation of my device, I thought I'd try my kanger mini tank on his box mod at 30 watts and blow a few clouds. I didn't expect much, it's a 1.3 ohm coil with 28 gauge wire. My juice was 70vg / 30 PG, 3 ml nic, creme De mente. It hit pretty hard, as expected, but immediately burned out the wick in like 2 seconds.

My question is why? This tank is used on the kanger box at higher wattage and 30 watts doesn't seem outrageous, especially on a 1.3 ohm coil. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I used the Subtank Nano, and the OCC HEADS I used was hit or miss. Most of them worked fine. Then every now and then I would get a head that was jam packed with cotton and it had a very hard time feeding almost any ejuice.

I also use DIY 70/30 EJUICE

Captain Pegleg

ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2015
Arkansas
Well my plan is to use the recently ordered kayfun 4 with Sub ohm kit and run about .5 out. 6 ohm coil on 26 or 28 gauge wire. Perhaps I'll use higher vg juice, like 80/20. And if there are wicking issues, I expected to be able to use that kanger mini tank with the massive juice holes. I'll try to use that calculator when I get off work, but does that sound feasible? 30 watts seems fine to me but I just don't want to burn my lungs out again lol.

I can't get the subtank mini to work well over 20 watts, with any coil I've put in it, including the RBA Plus with all sorts of varying wicking amounts :(

Wouldn't a higher ohm coil be able to run at higher wattage than lower ohm? Like with mechanicals- you have no wattage or voltage control, so people lower the ohm build to vape at higher wattage, right?

First part of that sounds backwards. Lower ohms need more power so, higher wattage

Reactions: ktcmojo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread