Status
Not open for further replies.

rebar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2011
iowa
Hey everyone.

Ive been vaping unflavored 20mg VG from nude nic for a while now. I would mix 48 or 100mg base with straight VG and distilled water and my nautilus atomizers lasted weeks.

Then a month ago my GF's kid hands me a pineapple ice juul, and I then realized just how much I enjoyed my old friend nicotine. Yum.. Don't bash me when I say Ive given up trying to quit, and the juul is the only device I wanted/needed to put down, unlike the permanent istick super glued into the palm of my hand my GF's nicknamed "binky". Maybe I need a less stressful time of my life to try to cut back again lol, but having a strong vape, and a second weaker one make allot of sense for me at this time. But I don't want the juul as my goto strong vape, but rather a special occasion stealth vape because the pods are expensive.

But when I mixed up 50 mg VG salts and thinned it with the same amount of DW, it was thicker than when I mixed weaker 20 mg bottles from base.
So I added more DW to thin it even more than my normal 5% which seemed to work for a day, but I then started to get dry burnt hits and within a few days, the atomizer was clogged. I also noticed I didn't get the same put it down "satisfaction" that I did with the juul.

What am I doing wrong here? Do I need 50/50 vg pg for stronger salts to vape well? Is the nautilus a bad choice for 50 mg salts or have the atomizers been engineered progressively worse with time, pushing people towards their newer tanks?

Thanks!

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Hello @rebar, most pre-made drop in stock coils don't like to work with high VG liquids or juices. It can be too thick for them to wick effectively.

I don't know how well the Innokin Zenith or Zlide coils work with high VG liquids or juices, hopefully someone with experience with them will be able to answer that.

If all else fails, do you have any experience with Rebuildable Atomisers? As they can be made to work with high or even full VG liquids or juices.

rebar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2011
iowa
Hello @rebar, most pre-made drop in stock coils don't like to work with high VG liquids or juices. It can be too thick for them to wick effectively.

I don't know how well the Innokin Zenith or Zlide coils work with high VG liquids or juices, hopefully someone with experience with them will be able to answer that.

If all else fails, do you have any experience with Rebuildable Atomisers? As they can be made to work with high or even full VG liquids or juices.

Thanks Mordacai.. So even with additional PG, you cant thin the 50 mg salts enough for a nautilus?

Yes I do have experience building coils, but it was just so easy and fast when mixing 20 mg base. I'm not sure I'm on board with the additional time it will take compared to popping a new juul pod in place which never gives a dry burnt hit.

Is juul a four letter word around here?

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hey everyone.

Ive been vaping unflavored 20mg VG from nude nic for a while now. I would mix 48 or 100mg base with straight VG and distilled water and my nautilus atomizers lasted weeks.

Then a month ago my GF's kid hands me a pineapple ice juul, and I then realized just how much I enjoyed my old friend nicotine. Yum.. Don't bash me when I say Ive given up trying to quit, and the juul is the only device I wanted/needed to put down, unlike the permanent istick super glued into the palm of my hand my GF's nicknamed "binky". Maybe I need a less stressful time of my life to try to cut back again lol, but having a strong vape, and a second weaker one make allot of sense for me at this time. But I don't want the juul as my goto strong vape, but rather a special occasion stealth vape because the pods are expensive.

But when I mixed up 50 mg VG salts and thinned it with the same amount of DW, it was thicker than when I mixed weaker 20 mg bottles from base.
So I added more DW to thin it even more than my normal 5% which seemed to work for a day, but I then started to get dry burnt hits and within a few days, the atomizer was clogged. I also noticed I didn't get the same put it down "satisfaction" that I did with the juul.

What am I doing wrong here? Do I need 50/50 vg pg for stronger salts to vape well? Is the nautilus a bad choice for 50 mg salts or have the atomizers been engineered progressively worse with time, pushing people towards their newer tanks?

Thanks!

Hi,
Which salts nicotine brand are you using?
What is the mg/ml of the salts base?
If you are starting with 50mg/ml and then adding VG/DW, it will lower your final mg/ml levels.

IMO: If you are trying to compare apple to apples, then "recreating" the Juul recipe is a great first step.

Cheers
I

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
As @Izan has also mentioned, are you mixing 50mg/ml with base? If so you will have less than required, but there's plenty of liquid or juice calculators around to help with that. And yes you should be able to thin a little with PG, unless you have issues with it and if so I'd probably avoid it.

As you have some building experience, have you heard anything about the Exvape Expromizer V4 MTL RTA which may be of some interest as an alternative to your Nautilus.

eXpromizer
Top air RTAs
Still one of the coolest names - ExVape Expromizer V4 Review

First came across them in the top air thread that @Shawn Hoefer has kindly made, but they're easy to build and wick. Even I can make them perform decently on a regular basis.

And I wish I could give you more information on the coils that Innokin Zenith and or Zlide use, somebody must know more than me about them and hopefully they'll drop in this thread and make a post. Otherwise you may have to create another thread asking how well they deal with high to full VG liquids or juices.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Hi,
Which salts nicotine brand are you using?
What is the mg/ml of the salts base?
If you are starting with 50mg/ml and then adding VG/DW, it will lower your final mg/ml levels.

IMO: If you are trying to compare apple to apples, then "recreating" the Juul recipe is a great first step.

Cheers
I

But a 95% VG to 5% DW using 48mg/ml freebase nic with a VG base at 20mg last for weeks. That’s a damn thick juice.

So why does the same ratio but using 50mg/ml nic salts result in a thicker juice? And even reducing that by adding 5% more of DW his Nautilus only last for a few days. Is 48mg/ml full VG freebase nicotine that much different in viscosity than 50mg/ml VG based Nic salts?

• Agree
Reactions: Izan

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
But a 95% VG to 5% DW using 48mg/ml freebase nic with a VG base at 20mg last for weeks. That’s a damn thick juice.

So why does the same ratio but using 50mg/ml nic salts result in a thicker juice? And even reducing that by adding 5% more of DW his Nautilus only last for a few days. Is 48mg/ml full VG freebase nicotine that much different in viscosity than 50mg/ml VG based Nic salts?
I think you just restated the OPs question.
If we don't know what OP is using and how it is being used, all we can do is speculate.
Is the nicotine base (FB or salt) 100%VG at 100mg/ml? Is the diluent VG actual 100%VG or is it AVG? (up to 15% water)

Come back OP and please fill in the blanks.
Cheers
I

rebar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2011
iowa
I use nude nicotine and I started with 48 mg classic nicotine base mixed with their straight VG and used a calc to mix up 20 mg. After the juul experience, I ordered their 100mg Signature Nicotine Salts and again used a calc to mix up 50 mg and added the same ratio of DW, but it was visibly thicker and didnt wick well so I added more DW in desperation which made the juice visibly thinner than my regular mix, but it still produced dry burnt hits.

I'm guessing I added to much DW for the juice to vape well, and need to order the same 100mg Signature Nicotine Salts, but in a 50/50 vg pg mix. And dilute it with 50/50 I guess.. But I wanted to run it by more experienced vapers mixers like yourselves.

And I cant tell you if the "diluent VG actual 100%VG or is it AVG? (up to 15% water)"

It's NN VG

And btw. Another nautilus atty just bit the dust. Was vaping just fine then open circuit.

Last edited:
  • Useful

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I use nude nicotine and I started with 48 mg classic nicotine base and used a calc to mix up 20 mg. After the juul experience, I ordered their 100mg Signature Nicotine Salts and again used a calc to mix up 50 mg and added the same ratio of DW, but it was visibly thicker and didnt wick well so I added more DW in desperation which made the juice visibly thinner than my regular mix, but it still produced dry burnt hits.

I'm guessing I added to much DW for the juice to vape well, and need to order the same 100mg Signature Nicotine Salts, but in a 50/50 vg pg mix. But I wanted to run it by more experienced vapers like yourselves.

I am assuming your nicotine (both freebase and salts) is 100% VG based and not a combination of VG/PG or just straight PG? I think that is the missing piece of the puzzle

• Useful

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Yes, all 100% VG

Awesome – that’s what I thought! So we have a very high VG mix which works well with freebase nic. But salts do not.

Unless someone comes forward and states nic salts are thicker in viscosity (cause I have no f’n idea), OR has another explanation, I find it strange your high VG freebase mix lasts so much longer.

• Creative
Reactions: GOMuniEsq
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread