Burnt my throat while sub-ohming, don't be like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

InDaCloud

Jan 31, 2014
Hawaii
I've been vaping for about 4 years now, but mostly with ego style devices. In the past year, I've started using VV mods like the Volcano Lavatube v2 and the itaste MVP. After watching many videos on youtube, I decided I wanted to try mechanical mods. I picked up my gear online from various sites like MadVapes, Kidney Puncher and Discount Vapers and with some basic tools in hand, I began building my own coils with an Octopus RDA on a Magneto mod. I wanted to ease my way into rebuilding so I stuck with 1.2 to 1.4 ohm builds for the first couple of weeks. When I felt I could build some pretty decent coils, I started moving into sub ohms greater than 0.7. After about a week, I figured I was ready to try some dual coils. Of course, I made sure that I had all the right information about how to measure the resistance of dual coils and made sure the amp draw on my battery was sufficient. My first dual coil was a micro on a Scar RDA @ 0.7 ohms. It performed pretty well and so I proceeded to try different coils such as the dual nano dragon coil and twisted kanthal coils. I had made some coils even @ 0.5 with no issues. All worked great and performed like I had seen on the videos. I then decided to purchase a bigger RDA (the Helios) and try some really low ohm coils @ 0.3 to 0.2. This is where I made a big mistake. My first build on the Helios was a dual 0.6 ohm micro coil of twisted 28 ga. kanthal and it was just great. The vapor just awesome and this success gave me the illusion that I knew what I was doing. Wrong! My second build was a complete disaster. I was foolish enough to throw caution to the wind and build a 0.3 ohm quad micro coil. Before I put the cap on, I fired it a few times and watched the vapor just pour off the top. I was thinking that this was going to be a moment I'd never forget. I was right. As I took my first lung inhale with the 4 large air holes wide open, I immediately felt my throat being scalded by superheated vapor! I began coughing uncontrollably and felt myself blacking out as I gasped for air. I was able to get a breath in just in time to maintain consciousness but continued to cough in agony for the next few minutes. After I recovered, I realized what I had done wrong. With the air holes wide open I had sucked the superheated vapor at high speed, still crackling, directly down my wind pipe. I really wasn't prepared for the difference in temperature that such a low ohm build would produce. Also, due to the unique design of the Helios's center post, it has a reduced internal resistance compared to anything else I had used. Comparing it now, even to my Trident v2, it just sizzles way more at equal resistance coils. I also believe that the wide air chamber of the Helios allows the hot drops of vapor that fly off the coils to be directly inhaled instead of hitting the walls of the cap. What I had created was a perfect storm of scalding hot vapor with too much airflow. My throat hurt for a week and I had difficulty sleeping for about 3 days, but I know it could have been much worse. Talk about the ultimate throat-hit! It was a lesson well learned. Later, I looked online to see if anyone else had a similar experience, but I couldn't find any examples. Hopefully, someone will read this and luckily avoid my mistake.

Vape safe. Aloha.

InDaCloud

Jan 31, 2014
Hawaii
I'm glad you shared your experience. You have 4 years vaping and still ran into a problem. Many here recommend micros to complete noobs and they need more info on the risks at all times.
Funny thing is that many vapers get so caught up in making sick and ridiculous builds that they don't think about practicality. In my first month of rebuilding, I must have made about 30 different coils just to see how they performed. Good thing Amazon sells kanthal in 100ft. rolls. Like any hobby, rebuilding can become obsessive and excessive. It's easy to lose sight of basic common sense. I once stepped into my local vape shop and saw an employee playing around with a 0.1 ohm build. He was showing me and all the other customers how cool it looked as it shot vapor with the cap off. However, once he took a puff he choked up. I guess that's part of the allure--playing with fire.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
I was able to get a breath in just in time to maintain consciousness but continued to cough in agony for the next few minutes. After I recovered, I realized what I had done wrong.

pretty sure you started doing wrong the moment you set out to wrap a .3 ohm coil. Surprised no one has come in to seriously condemn this whole idea of a coil so low. This is sticky material. This is news worthy, and if something is news worthy, it's bad news for all of us. If a 16 year old kid did this and went to his family doctor for the throat pain & told the story, e-cigs would be banned within 2 months.

InDaCloud

Jan 31, 2014
Hawaii
This is news worthy, and if something is news worthy, it's bad news for all of us. If a 16 year old kid did this and went to his family doctor for the throat pain & told the story, e-cigs would be banned within 2 months.
There are probably tens of thousands of kids smoking (OTHER STUFF) everyday, getting shot, shooting others, etc. The world is a dangerous place. Inhaling anything into your body other than air can have potential risks. I am an adult with children of my own, and I would never let them vape while under the legal age. In fact, I'd rather them not vape ever. In my youth, I've had many accidents that were not vape related and landed me in the hospital. The media is always looking for a good story, and to a certain degree you're right. However, I believe that sharing this story with the vaping community, especially those new to the hobby, would help people be safer. If I am labeled as a cautionary tale of what not to do, so be it. If I prevent someone from making the same mistake, then all the rebuking in the world is worth it. I may be an idiot at times, but I learn from my mistakes. Hopefully, others can learn from it too.

Last edited by a moderator:

InDaCloud

Jan 31, 2014
Hawaii
Hey im new here, just wanted to highjack this thread and ask, how would you prevent the vapor to get to hot if you wish to do lunghits? Larger coils? Higher ohms? What do you suggest?
Trial and error, my friend. Also, the things you mentioned would reduce heat but also vapor production. A long drip tip was also mentioned by someone, but you might not want a 3-4 inch drip tip when traveling. That being said, depending on your gear, I'd stay above 0.7 ohms. I find that lung hits on a dual coil with a mechanical and an RDA become uncomfortable at around 0.6 ohms. Of course, this depends on what your equip and juice is. One of my favorite lung hit builds is a 0.7 ohm dual micro coil of 28 ga kanthal wrapped on a 1/16" drill bit used on a trident V2 RDA with natural cotton ball wicking and a liquid that's 75% VG/ 25% PG. It's a little warm and maybe not for everyone, but I enjoy the warmth and flavor. Vape safe. Aloha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread