Burnt or gunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kittyntwinstarz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2018
California, USA
So I just purchased the Smok Prince tank and I’m using the Q4 coil first. The juice is Cheech and Chong dope deal which is a Nutella banana in 3mg 70vg/30pg.

I’m on day 2 of this coil and still vaping strong at 55wv I noticed some dark residue on the top of chimney so I got a qtip and cleaned it down to the coil. When I took it out it was dark brown/black.

It has not had one burnt or dry hit. Could this just be gunk build up or is the coil burning and I’m just not tasting it?

Attachments

• C561D6F7-DF89-4650-9691-0E5B85176307.jpeg
    C561D6F7-DF89-4650-9691-0E5B85176307.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: stols001

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
It's just the natural progression of vaping. Gunk is going to accumulate from the heat and sugars in the eliquid. Wipe it off, maybe rinse your coil every couple of days to cut it down. If left for a while, it may start getting harder and start to burn.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It's normal with dark, sweet, or colored e-liquids to gunk up a coil. Said gunk can often be removed, sometimes several times, before the coil goes bad. You should be able to taste it when the coil goes bad. I wondered myself, until I encountered my first burnt coil, it's really an unmistakable taste which you will come to identify quickly and desire to get rid of, equally quickly.

Removing gunk as it accumulates is a smart thing to do, it allows continued wicking and airflow will be better, hopefully prolonging the life of your coil.

Anna

Kittyntwinstarz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2018
California, USA
It's normal with dark, sweet, or colored e-liquids to gunk up a coil. Said gunk can often be removed, sometimes several times, before the coil goes bad. You should be able to taste it when the coil goes bad. I wondered myself, until I encountered my first burnt coil, it's really an unmistakable taste which you will come to identify quickly and desire to get rid of, equally quickly.

Removing gunk as it accumulates is a smart thing to do, it allows continued wicking and airflow will be better, hopefully prolonging the life of your coil.

Anna

So I removed the coil after juice was low and it was caked on the cotton. Do you just toss it at that point? Flavor was still great and not burnt.

• Optimistic

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I guess that would be up to you and your preferences. For awhile, I was reviving burnt coils by cleaning them, but I stopped doing it because really the cotton didn't get 100% clean. I probably wouldn't have an issue vaping it if it wasn't burnt, I mean gunk gets places including the cotton, but it's really up to you how far you push it. I'd say if gunk is starting to collect on the cotton, it is likely nearing its useful life, (you may see a slight reduction in wicking and/or flavor prior to the coil turning "burnt" for this reason, but just like you aren't actually vaping the "gunk" collecting around the coil, I don't think you'd be vaping "gunk" on the cotton. Although it's probably a sign the coil may go sooner rather than later, so if you have an 8 ml tank, I might not refill to the brim, etc.

Anna

Kittyntwinstarz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2018
California, USA
Ah, can see the "gunk" slowly creeping down there... I bet when it gets to the coil, you'd have tasted "burnt" but it looks like not so far away.. LOL...

Anna

Ya it was crazy I saw some brown on the top when I went to refill and decided to put qtip down the chimney. I couldn’t believe what came out of it but flavor and hit was still great!

Mrdaputer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2014
MN
Ya it was crazy I saw some brown on the top when I went to refill and decided to put qtip down the chimney. I couldn’t believe what came out of it but flavor and hit was still great!

The cotton looked pretty bad I am surprised you didn't start getting the burnt flavor. Now you know how far you can push it

• Agree

Kittyntwinstarz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2018
California, USA
Those cotton pieces look like shop rags after an engine rebuild. If that's after 2 days of vaping then I think something else is going on like juice that's too sweet/dark or deficient wicking. Time to replace IMO!

It’s my juice. It’s thick and sweet. Now I’m vaping Naked Unicorn mixed with Kilo Birthday Cake. I’m sure the same think will happen.

Kittyntwinstarz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2018
California, USA
Use a rda for the coil killer juice.

This is literally everyone’s response! Problem is I used to build 4 yrs ago but I quit vaping and forget how to do it and have no supplies. Also I did old school dripping. This rebuildable tank stuff is new to me. I don’t even know where to start.

• Optimistic

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
This is literally everyone’s response! Problem is I used to build 4 yrs ago but I quit vaping and forget how to do it and have no supplies. Also I did old school dripping. This rebuildable tank stuff is new to me. I don’t even know where to start.

The reason you keep hearing that response is because it works. A rebuild able coil can be cleaned and the cotton can be changed. This makes it much better for the coil killer juices.

It is not hard to wrap some simple round wire coils but if your not confident enough to try to make coils, you can always buy some of those coil kits that have multiple types of coils in them.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If you've built before, I imagine it would come back quickly. I don't know which prince coil would work best, but some juices are just coil killers. You could start small, if building wasn't super difficult before. Most RTAs nowadays will come with a couple of coils to use, and just need to be installed and wicked, and one coil can last some time if cared for. But, you could use a regulated mod to test resistance, and just get some wire and wicking (I love rayon, for ease of use and longer wicking capacity, it's also a fairly forgiving wick. But you can get started with as little as some wire, a screwdriver of the right dimensions for you, and some wicking, without outlaying HUGE expense before deciding if the newer RTAs are worth it. There are some that are really fabulous.

If you want to stay with drop in coils, I have heard the crown uwell tank coils are known for good longevity, if you want to stay with darker and sweeter juice. I don't know that it would solve the problem completely, but part of the issue is that smok coils (in general) aren't always known for longevity.

Best of luck with whatever you decide....

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread